Alaska with the Brewer's 06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ned:

Great bear shot!  How did you get him to turn around and pose?  Can you get the bear to upload the picture he took of you running away after he grabbed the camera out of your hands?

Today is Russ's day....On a beautiful drive to Teslin.

Attachments

• Teslin, YT12 (Small).JPG
    Teslin, YT12 (Small).JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Teslin, YT04 (Small).JPG
    Teslin, YT04 (Small).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Teslin, YT05 (Small).JPG
    Teslin, YT05 (Small).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Teslin, YT06 (Small).JPG
    Teslin, YT06 (Small).JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Teslin, YT07 (Small).JPG
    Teslin, YT07 (Small).JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Teslin, YT08 (Small).JPG
    Teslin, YT08 (Small).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 83
Smoky said:
What is the story behind those totem poles by the road in the photo?

Smoky,
The Totem Pole carvings were along the entrance walk way to the Tlingit Heritage Center.  I actually did not tour this center just looked around outside. The totem poles usually tell a story of a particular clan.  They are often very sad stories.I learned this while on a cruise to Alaska and visited the Totem Pole Park in Ketchikan.  Maybe others in my group will know more specifics on those particular carvings.

Betty

Betty:

I love totem poles and have always been fascinated by them.  On our journey in the east coast North Country we visited Deep Bay on lake Champlain where I always went in the summer both as a child and a young adult.  At the camp I attended and later was a counselor at, between the girls camp and the boys camp was an authentic totem pole.  I was so sad to see this week, that it had finally disappeared.  I had very much wanted to take a picture of it.  It looked very similar to the ones you displayed, using many of the same colors and designs.

Please post any more you come across, I love them!! 

Hi Guys

Not sure if you have this link :- http://511.alaska.gov/default.asp

It will give you the road conditions up here.

The Parks Highway was closed for 7hrs yesterday due to a forest fire, and Im hearing it could be closed today also (which will throw our plans out a bit).

Paul

Betty,

Your picture, YT-25,  brought back some memories.  Notice that the ridges on the bridges in Canada run parallel to your track, not perpendicular as in the states.  We had been warned of this before our motorcycle trip.  The bridge decides where you go, not the bike rider.  Since this is the longest bridge we encoutered, we waited until there was no oncoming traffic and then set out.  We used the entire width of the bridge in getting across.  The bike was going one direction, the trailer in another.  Just part of the adventure ::)

Smokey

Those represent the different clans of the Tlingit Indians.  The totems, carved by Keith Wolfe Smarch, represent the Wolf, Eagle, Frog, Beaver and Raven clans.

Those totem poles are at the Tlingit museum in Teslin and represent clan animals etc.

Betty,

Re Mukluk Annie?s

Whe we were there the food was only ok, but the boat ride was free as well as the camping.

Current web traffic from last year says the kids have taken over running the place and that the food was terrible and the service was extremely slow - so you did miss anything.

Sounds like the the kids have just gotten greedy. Too bad.

We are really glad you guys are having a good time.

It really is a great trip. I am planning on returning in '09. I never though it would take 11 years to get back to Alaska.

ken

Betty Brewer said:
Day 15 ? June 7, 2006 ? ?Liard Hot Springs to Just past Watson Lake ? 1062.7 km

Upon entering Watson Lake we met up with Russ, Ned and Lorna and toured the infamous Signpost Forest. We searched for the RV Forum sign we thought had been posted there but we did not have all day! ?

On your way back, look for the antique fire engine and the RV Forum sign that we posted three years ago was near by.

Found a couple of photos regarding the RV Forum sign at Watson Lake.

Attachments

• W02-small.JPG
    W02-small.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 89
  • W08-small.JPG
    W08-small.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 80
Tim & Jan said:
Found a couple of photos regarding the RV Forum sign at Watson Lake.

Tim,

OK so now you tell us where to look!!  We did get a free poster and we think there is an RV Forum yellow ball cap on one of the pillars.  (If it really isn't, we are going to pretend it is.)

Betty

Ken & Sheila said:
Re Mukluk Annie?s
When we were there the food was only OK, but the boat ride was free as well as the camping.

Current web traffic from last year says the kids have taken over running the place and that the food was terrible and the service was extremely slow - so you did miss anything.

Ken,
It was so hot in the restaurant with their open hearth grill and when we asked if we could sit in the big empty section away from the heat and they said no.  So we left .  I don't think we missed a good meal either.  The boat ride was worth the $5.00 and the easy in easy out and no need to unhook made the $10 camping fee tolerable.

It is disappointing to see traditions and freebies die. There was some talk of whether or not Annie's would even open at all this season. All in all we would go back but with lesser expectations.  Tonight we are in Whitehorse and I am too tired to do my journal.  I will combine 2 days after the big day of tourists things tomorrow. With this near  22 hours of daylight I am staying up way too late.

Betty

Terry A. Brewer said:
Today is Russ's day....On a beautiful drive to Teslin.

Terry:

Tell Russ he has taking photos of your coach down pat. ;D

Hi Betty, Terry et al

We are now in Fairbanks (Rivers Edge RV Park).

May I suggest that you spend at least one night dry camped at Pioneer Park (old Alaskaland).

The $10 fee is offset by coupons for $3 off the Salmon Bake and $3 off the Palace Theatre show, plus a couple of other little coupons.

The Salmon Bake was good - I would suggest grabbing a table behind the small dessert cabin - you will be on the lawn, with the warm sun and a gentle breeze of smoke from the BBQ area - yummy !

The 'bake' was very quiet this evening (Sat) with loads of space - and unlike so many where you are booked-in at a set time with pre set bus home, here you can arrive anytime between 5pm and 9pm and just take your time.

You can (will) spend a good week at Fairbanks - there is SO much to do.

We didnt get chance to go, but people have spoken highly of the Museum at Alaska University, and our bus driver today spoke of a "large animal research park" close to the museum which is supposed to be good (but no mention of it in any local free newspapers etc).

BTW - this CG offers a $2 return shuttle to the El Dorado Gold Mine (we panned $10 worth of gold between us today) - there are only a limited few places which offer the shuttle.

There is also a free shuttle from here to the Riverboat Discovery tour.

If you are after free dry camping, you would ideally head for the OLD Fred Meyer or OLD Safeway (although the newer one has gas with Safeway discount card/points).

Finally, diesel is $2.90 today at Fred Meyer.

Hope it helps.

Paul

UK-RV said:
We didnt get chance to go, but people have spoken highly of the Museum at Alaska University, and our bus driver today spoke of a "large animal research park" close to the museum which is supposed to be good (but no mention of it in any local free newspapers etc).

Betty et al

The Museum at the Alaska University is awesome. There you will get information on the nearby "large animal research park" which is not to be missed. Very large herd of musk ox there.

Day 17? ? ?June 9, 2006? ?Teslin to Whitehorse, Yukon Canada? ?
Today we got a leisurely 10:20 a.m.start for a 2 hour drive to Whitehorse.? We wonder where have all the potholes gone, as the roads are good today.? We turned down a road at the Yukon River Bridge turnout to enjoy the views the book tells about and Terry exclaims, ?Oh sh#*.?? This turn out only has one exit, so we must exit the way we turned in and he does not figure we have enough room to turn around without unhooking the car.? He says he should have trusted his instinct.? But I tell him we can make it in one big slow turn.? He says ok we will try.? Russ photographs the turn and guess what we can turn around in 78 feet! I had to move some tree branches away from the mirror but we are out and on the highway again.? Did I mention the views of the Yukon River and Valley were wonderful?? Terry did not see them.? ?When we arrive in Whitehorse, the challenge becomes that of selecting a camp sight that is Internet friendly AND will connect to Russ? Direct TV as it is a big Formula One Race weekend. We unhook the car and I act as the scout and drive up the road considering southern skies and no trees. I liked the Mckenzie RV Park north of town. We settled on a very small campground called Mountain Ridge Motel and RV Park.? It is close to town, has free wifi and clear views of southern skies.? Terry and Russ are watching races as I compose this message. Ned and Lorna selected the Pioneer RV Park just outside of town.? Next stop visitor center.? Whitehorse is a lovely little town with a large waterfront area that is along the Yukon River.? Armed with tourist guides we drive around the downtown area, stopped in a few gift shops, have raspberry gelatos and drive to some of the river viewpoints for photos.
We attended the Frantic Follies Vaudeville Revue in the evening and came away with sore stomachs from laughing so much.? ?The girls could kick higher than you could imagine and the colorful costumes along with the humorous monologues of Robert Service provided an evening of local color and good clean entertainment!? I now have the hang of the black out curtains for the bedroom so I can sleep.
Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 101
Temperature:? ?High? 78? ? ? Low 45
Wildlife sightings: a rabbit.
Camping costs: $30.00 per night with wifi

Attachments

• Whitehorse01 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse01 (Small).JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Whitehorse31 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse31 (Small).JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 80