Alaska with the Brewer's 06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UK-RV said:
Hi Betty, Terry et alWe are now in Fairbanks (Rivers Edge RV Park).
May I suggest that you spend at least one night dry camped at Pioneer Park (old Alaskaland).
You can (will) spend a good week at Fairbanks - there is SO much to do.
Finally, diesel is $2.90 today at Fred Meyer.
Paul,
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will print them out.  Good new on fuel prices.  Who would ever think I'd say good news  for $2.90 a gallon!.

Betty

Betty =  Thanks for the pics  Many of us are enjoying your trip via your pics and commentary.  Thanks again.

Day 18  June 10, 2006  Whitehorse, the capitol of the Yukon and  Touristy Places

What a day.  We visited the Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre and learned about the last ice age and the giant wooly mammoths that roamed the area. As we were the first tourists to arrive we had a personal tour of the place and the guide took us out back where each of us was given a lesson in how to throw an atal atal, which is an ancient spear throwing device used to hunt by the First Nation Indians. I speared a ground hog, Russ speared a beaver (I think) and Terry?s arrow went the farthest and he got the wooly mammoth.  His arrow even stuck into the target. We had quite a giggle with this activity.  Wevisited the Yukon Transportation Museum (Terry?s favorite) and saw unique displays of railways, sternwheelers and First Nations transportation modes.  We visited The MacBride Museum and experienced early Whitehorse natural History and gold rush history.  We visited the SS Klondike National Historic Site which is a grand old 270 foot stern-wheeler that was used to transport goods and passengers to the Dawson City via the Yukon and it is now permanently on display in the harbor.  It is an incredible restoration and was my favorite of the day as the guide was very knowledgeable! We love tours.  We took a 2-hour cruise on the Yukon River on the most beautiful day of the year.  Warm sunny skies have everyone in a great mood.  We saw a nest of Ravens along the wall of the Miles Canyon.  We visited a local art gallery in the countryside and Russ has his eye on a sculpture done in antlers.

We ate at a restaurant recommended by a woman at City hall and it turned out to be a fantastic meal with linen table cloths and napkins..  By looking at the place we would never have selected it, so the lesson learned was ask a local where to dine! It was called G and P and it featured steak and Pizza.  It was pricey but well worth every cent!  We are enjoying this city so much that we decided to stay one more day as they have more art galleries, more museums and Terry wants to wash bugs off front of rig.  I need to shop for groceries and there are several markets in town. I am trying to talk any of you reading this journal into visiting these places.  This is a wonderful trip rich in history and natural wonders!  I love it here!  Of course it was 82 degrees today. The locals are complaining about how hot it is!

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0
Temperature:  High  82      Low  67
Wildlife sightings: eagle in harbor at dusk when we had no camera. Ravens in nest.
Camping costs: $30  Mountain Ridge Inn
Museum Fees:  I don?t even want to know today!

Attachments

• Whitehorse12 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse12 (Small).JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Whitehorse11 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse11 (Small).JPG
    55 KB · Views: 69
  • Whitehorse26 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse26 (Small).JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Whitehorse23 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse23 (Small).JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Whitehorse28 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse28 (Small).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 72
  • Whitehorse39 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse39 (Small).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Whitehorse44 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse44 (Small).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Whitehorse57 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse57 (Small).JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 72
Betty:

Are you planning to drive down to Skagway?  It is a must run, but should be done in the car.  Along the route is a place called the "Smallest Desert"  which should get Terry's attention.  You will also pass "Emerald Lake".  If the ships are in, there is a lot of activity.  When they are not there, the place is like a ghost town.  Another must is the train ride.

Enjoying your journal and photos.

Paul - UKRV

The Diesel in Quebec near Quebec City is US$3.72 per US gallon and, would you believe it, the Canadians do NOT have to import any crude oil.  They have enough for themselves and export crude oil to the US.  Also, Canada has enough refineries to meet their refining needs.

I suppose it's the political and oil interests ripping off the common citizens.

JerryF

Here are some Whitehorse town pics of todays touring.

Attachments

• Whitehorse59 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse59 (Small).JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Whitehorse64 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse64 (Small).JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Whitehorse65 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse65 (Small).JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Whitehorse66 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse66 (Small).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Whitehorse67 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse67 (Small).JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Whitehorse72 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse72 (Small).JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Whitehorse73 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse73 (Small).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Whitehorse74 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse74 (Small).JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Whitehorse75 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse75 (Small).JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Whitehorse78 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse78 (Small).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 62
UK-RV said:
snip

We didn't get chance to go, but people have spoken highly of the Museum at Alaska University, and our bus driver today spoke of a "large animal research park" close to the museum which is supposed to be good (but no mention of it in any local free newspapers etc).

snip

Paul,

The Large Animal Research Park (also known as the Musk Ox Farm) is easy to find.

From Rivers Edge take Airport Way back toward town. Turn left on University Ave. Then turn left on Ballaine Rd. I think it should be about three or four traffic lights. Then turn left on Yankovich Rd. Which should be the first left after you turn on Ballaine. The Large Animal Research Park will be about a mile and a half down Yankovich on your right.

I'm not sure they have tours everyday so check. Rivers Edge should have a phone number for them. There is a viewing stand outside the fence if they are closed for tours.

They had Musk Ox and Raindeer there when I worked there one summer.

Ron from Big D said:
? ? ?Are you planning to drive down to Skagway?? ?It is a must run, but should be done in the car.? Along the route is a place called the "Smallest Desert"? which should get Terry's attention.? You will also pass "Emerald Lake".? If the ships are in, there is a lot of activity.? When they are not there, the place is like a ghost town.? Another must is the train ride.

Hi Ron,
Three years ago when I first retired, we took a cruise on Norwegian Cruise Lines up the inside passage and Skagway was one of the stops. We had a tour of the town and the brothels and we took the Whitehorse Yukon Pass narrow gauge rail trip then so won't repeat that adventure this time.  Though I do have fond  memories of that trip. We also stopped in Ketchikan and Juneau in 03.  We will be passing through Skagway on our swing back toward home though , later in the trip and will likely post pictures from our Alaska cruise  in Skagway.

Betty

Alaskan Travelers,

Another place to consider to eat in the Fairbanks area is the Ester Gold Camp. I don't know if they still do, but we used to go out there for their all you can eat crab. We would go out early so we could eat then go to the Malamute Saloon show. Call and make reservations for both. There is other this to eat other than crab if you don't like crab.

They let you in the brothels in Alaska? They don't, or at least didn't used to, let women in the brothels in Nevada. I can remember begging to get in one in Beatty so I could buy Dad a t-shirt.

wendycoke said:
They let you in the brothels in Alaska? They don't, or at least didn't used to, let women in the brothels in Nevada. I can remember begging to get in one in Beatty so I could buy Dad a t-shirt.

Wendy,
Yep, they let us in.  Actually they lead us in as tourists on a big tour to explain what it was like in the gold rush days.  Seems most of the ladies  who worked there made more than the miners looking for gold.  The tour guide did  wink and say she thought she remembered Terry.  Boy did he blush.
Betty

Wow. Was it an actual operating brother? or an historic brothel that used to was? Oh, wait a minute, if Terry had been there it must have been an actual operating brothel. Did they show you the menu???

Betty & Terry!!

Thanks so much for the shot of the Klondike!  All my life I have heard about it and Michener's in Alaska writes about it.  I have never before seen a picture of it.

wendycoke said:
Wow. Was it an actual operating brother? or an historic brothel that used to was? Oh, wait a minute, if Terry had been there it must have been an actual operating brothel. Did they show you the menu???
Now Wendy,
Let's do some math.  The gold Rush was in 1898 or so and Terry has just turned 59... so this was a show for tourists , only but a good one, I do believe.

Betty

Day  19  June 11, 2006  Whitehorse, Yukon  3rd Day 

Today we slept in and took a slow pace with the touristy things.  First stop in Whitehorse was a return to get gelatos again.  This time I had maple walnut. Then we drove all over town taking pictures of the murals on buildings depicting days of old.  We took a short round trip on the local little trolley along the waterfront.  It was first used in Portugal and then in a museum in Van Couver and now it hauls tourist up and down the shore at Whitehorse.  It was well worth the $1.00 fare especially since Russ paid our fee.

Then we drove out to the fish ladder but it will be  mid July before the salmon have found their way back here to spawn. Still impressive to see how the ladders assist fish over the dam. Russ and I took in some culture at the local college, Yukon Centre for the Arts.  We saw displays of Tlingit masks and several rather nice large oil paintings, glasswork and a variety of wood worked furniture. Several real life sculpture were outside. After a grocery store run and a return to the SS Klondike for a book, we are good to go for another day. Late in the day (8:18 p.m.) Terry goes on a photo shoot for the eagle we missed yesterday.  He got her on the nest. Off toward Dawson City tomorrow. I love hearing if you like our trip or not.

These days of long daylight are something.  It's a weird psychological thing about having so much daylight.  I like it, I think.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0
Temperature:  High 87      Low  67
Wildlife sightings:  1 eagle  Terry is seeing all of the mosquitos.  I have no bites.
Camping costs: $30  Mountain Ridge Inn 3rd night

Attachments

• Whitehorse62 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse62 (Small).JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Whitehorse61 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse61 (Small).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Whitehorse70 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse70 (Small).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Whitehorse68 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse68 (Small).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Whitehorse82 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse82 (Small).JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Whitehorse79 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse79 (Small).JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Whitehorse69 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse69 (Small).JPG
    69 KB · Views: 62
  • Whitehorse88 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse88 (Small).JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Whitehorse89 (Small).JPG
    Whitehorse89 (Small).JPG
    123 KB · Views: 70
I love hearing if you like our trip or not.

Betty:

Sue and I check up on you every day. Feels like we are there with you.

Keep up the great work! (Work?)

Jeff Cousins said:
Sue and I check up on you every day. Feels like we are there with you.Keep up the great work! (Work?)

Jeff and Sue,
The goal of my journal is to take people with us and to forge a path you might want to repeat. It does actually take a bit of time and daily effort( work) to do this journal so I really appreciate that people are  reading it and enjoying the trip with us. It is beautiful here!
Betty

Betty,

Click here, scroll down to this topic and, without clicking on it, look across at the number of views. That will give you some idea of how many of us are following along. We enjoy both the journal and the photos. Chris and I and a few of our friends plan to follow in your footsteps/tire tracks next year.

Please keep up the great work; It really is very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom