Alaska with the Brewer's 06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeannine said:
While you are in Fairbanks, take the tour of the Fort Knox gold mine.?
Enjoying your travelogues.? It's making me eager for a third trip.Jeannine

Jeannine,
Thanks for the travel tips. I'll ask at Visitors Center today about it.  We held a nugget yesterday worth about $25,000.  The trip is exceeding  my expectations at every turn.  I can imagine another trip in our future but we've so many other places left to visit as well.  So many places.. so little time.
Betty

Those RV Forum gold miners look like their having fun.  Sam & I are enjoying the reports and photos.  We are glad Terry got the FZ30 too. ;D ;D

June 23, 2006? ?Day 31? ?Fairbanks, AK and North Pole

Our first stop early this morning was to the North Pole to visit Santa Claus House.? We called ahead and learned if we arrived between 8 and 9 am we could avoid the big tour bus crowds? so off we went early! We were one of the only ones there and got our outside photos and learned Santa does not start work until 10 am.? So we had pictures in his chair.? Terry wanted me to sit in Russ? lap but I refused.? ? I wanted Russ to wear the Santa hat but he refused!  Lorna wanted Ned to come on this day trip, but he refused! We all bought matching t- shirts that will be featured in an upcoming session.? We giggled like kids.? We bought souvenirs and I wondered where all the snow was.? This was after all the North Pole.? I learned today they do not have year round snow despite what I learned as a kid. They did have the world?s tallest Santa.? Ho ho ho

Today featured a bit of neat technology.? While standing out in front of the Fairbanks Log Cabin Visitor Information Center, we phoned Don Miller on our cell (we have good reception).? He was able to go on his computer and log onto the Fairbanks web camera to see us all the way from Camp Verde, Arizona.? He could see us standing in front of the 18 foot bronze monument ?Unknown First Family.?? How cool is that?? He directed us to a plaque around the base of the large fountain commemorating the Proud Alaskan Families who supported this park project in Fairbanks. We easily found his family names.? It is an impressive park and a very welcoming area.? Bravo to those who celebrate Fairbanks history and heritage by providing such wonderful art.? You too can see this park by logging onto http://www.festivalfairbanks.org/webcam1.asp

A bit of downtown shopping, more amaretto fudge and we head for haircuts.? Bingo.? We both have haircuts courtesy of Supercuts.? We had been given? ?a coupon from our RV Park for a free bowl at a bowl company. I had no idea what this might be but it was free and it was close to our campground.? Well let me tell you this little company stole my heart.? They make all sizes and shapes of wooden bowls from birch.? They use trees from Southern Alaska as the soil is better there for growth of bigger trees. They showed how bowls are cut, sanded and oiled into beautiful pieces of art or functional bowls.? I used more of my Christmas money to buy a big salad or popcorn bowl, and a wooden cutting board.? My ?free bowl? will be a planter as they use the skull of the first cut of the tree for outside planters. I took Lorna back there and she made some purchases as well.? ?We are very good customers!

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0
? Wildlife sightings: 0
Temps:? High 67? ? ? ?Low 48
Camping Costs: $35.00
GPS: No change from yesterday

Attachments

• Northpole08 (Small).JPG
    Northpole08 (Small).JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Northpole02 (Small).JPG
    Northpole02 (Small).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Northpole20 (Small).JPG
    Northpole20 (Small).JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Northpole23 (Small).JPG
    Northpole23 (Small).JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Fairbanks65 (Small).JPG
    Fairbanks65 (Small).JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 76
Betty,

Santa sure look like Russ! We're just having a ball following along on your wonderful journey!

Does this mean another Moab slide show? Ruwards' turn for 25 people in their coach  ;D

fredethomas said:
That Binkley Family ferry boat ride was a highlight of our trip to Fairbanks.  It think it was a 12 year old Binkley that was the pilot on our trip.

Fred,
Terry recalled your saying this trip was a highlight.  Our Captain was much older than 12, but his information was so good!
Betty

Hi Betty and Terry,

We have been reading and enjoying your reports, hard to believe our trip was 3 years ago.  When you visit Denali you will probably take a bus trip through the park.  We opted for an all day trip that takes you to the Kantishna Road House, which is the end of the line.  It''s a longer trip and is not operated by the National Park System. You will have to contact Kantishna Road House for tickets and such.  Most of our wildlife sightings were beyond the point where the N.P. trip ended.  Another hint, if you see Mt. McKinley get your pictures immediately, cloud cover moves in very quickly.  Alaska remains our favorite and most spectacular trip.  Glad you are all having a great trip, say hello to Russ, Lorna and Ned for us.

Jan

June 24, 2006  Day 32    Fairbanks Alaska

On Saturday we visited an extension branch of The University of Alaska.  It is a very Large Animal Research Station. (LARS)  The subjects of study are the musk ox, the caribou and the reindeer. The musk ox was around during the days of the wooly mammoth in dinosaur days and almost became extinct for some unknown reason.  With the help of these researchers the herd has come back from 34 to over three thousand.  These animals are among the heartiest and largest mammals in the Arctic. Only a polar bear is bigger but it is considered a marine mammal.  The musk ox has an incredibly dense undercoating of fur, which makes it able to adapt to ?50 below temps.  Its fur is sold by the small skein for $60 and is as soft as cashmere. The horns on the head are part of the skull and made of the same material as our fingernails. They are a significant source of study in that they have 4 stomachs and digest almost all of what they eat.  They are considered garbage disposals of the Arctic, as they will eat anything.  They did not want to come forward for a picture for us as they had eaten just an hour before and the guide says they like to lie back and chew their cud.  It was also a warm day and they do not like it warm.

The other creatures in this study are reindeer and caribou.  Both have the exact same DNA, but reindeer have been domesticated for thousands of years by the Laplanders.  There are slight differences in their antlers, hooves and body shape.  The caribou antlers can grow up to one inch a day in the spring.  It is a wonder as their diet consists of plant material and lichen and no visible source of calcium yet their metabolism is able to create this calcium like structures weighing up to 30 pounds each.  The male caribou lose their antlers right after mating season.  The females keep theirs until the babies are born.  The caribou herds are plentiful in number in Alaska having migrations in the numbers about 450,000.  I came away thinking we have so much to learn from nature.  Just think of the ramifications if our metabolisms could adapt to create minerals or proteins we do not consume. I learned so many other things but I will spare you the long post.  I am a much stronger supporter of animal research from my one-hour visit here. 

I?d like to give a pitch here for our RV Park here in Fairbanks, The Chena Marina RV Park.  The sights are wide, grassy and spacious. The photos are fro mour rig or right in front.  The free wifi is excellent with a  good signal even in the rain.  The facilities are good. Managers are friendly and helpful in arranging tours.  The view of the floatplane pond in front of us has provided entertainment and a wake up call in morning, as some of the little planes are quite noisy. Coffee and rolls are provided in the morning if you get up early enough.  It is a reasonable driving distance to all of Fairbanks sights.  We have been here 6 days and will move tomorrow just to get a less expensive rate boon docking rate elsewhere in town .

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0   
Wildlife sightings: Musk ox, caribou, and reindeer
Temps:  High 70      Low 50
Camping Costs: $35.00
GPS: 64.816665, -147.91170

Attachments

• Animal Research02 (Small).JPG
    Animal Research02 (Small).JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Animal Research03 (Small).JPG
    Animal Research03 (Small).JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Animal Research05 (Small).JPG
    Animal Research05 (Small).JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Animal Research08 (Small).JPG
    Animal Research08 (Small).JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Animal Research07 (Small).JPG
    Animal Research07 (Small).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Fairbanks71 (Small).JPG
    Fairbanks71 (Small).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Fairbanks73 (Small).JPG
    Fairbanks73 (Small).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Fairbanks75 (Small).JPG
    Fairbanks75 (Small).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Fairbanks76 (Small).JPG
    Fairbanks76 (Small).JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 77
Tim & Jan said:
When you visit Denali you will probably take a bus trip through the park.? We opted for an all day trip that takes you to the Kantishna Road House, which is the end of the line.? It''s a longer trip and is not operated by the National Park System. You will have to contact Kantishna Road House for tickets and such.? Most of our wildlife sightings were beyond the point where the N.P. trip ended.? Another hint, if you see Mt. McKinley get your pictures immediately, cloud cover moves in very quickly.?
Jan,
Thanks for the tips.  We use and listen to all tips given.  First hand  information is the best.  Glad you are enjoying our travels.  This is so much fun!!

Betty

Again  Great Pics  Keep up the fine work and I'll enjoy your trip.  Thanks.

Betty,

Terry would probably like the Satellite tracking station north/east of town (Gilmore Station? in Poker Flats)

ken

June 25, 2006? Day 33 Fairbanks, Alaska

On Sunday evening we ventured outside of town to Ester Gold Camp.? It was in actual gold mining until 1960?s.? Now it?s buildings are on the National list of historic places.? We attended a? ?Photosymphony? ?The Crown of Light? mostly because it is listed as an activity of those on a caravan.? It was a wonderful panoramic slide show presentation set to classical music that featured the sights of Fairbanks in winter and the Aurora lights. The photographer and producer of the show Leroy Zimmerman, was there to tell us about his photography.? His web site gives a few clues of his photos. www.photosymphony.com

We then attended the show at the world famous Malemute Saloon.? It was a beer drinking (Alaskan Amber Ale) peanut tossing on the floor experience. We lost power during the first 10 minutes of the show.? So we held a sing along with the piano player for a few minutes until power resumed. Poetry of Robert Service was featured and we sang and clapped along to songs of celebration of the Gold Rush.

June 26? ?Day 34? ? ?Fairbanks? Pioneer Park

We moved this morning about 2 miles away to the Pioneer Park.? It is a large amusement park that offers dry camping in their parking lot for $10.00 per night.? It rained all day (0.45 inches).? Russ picked the dinner spot tonight and Terry exclaimed it was his favorite dinner of our entire trip.? We ate at the Pad Thai Restaurant at 3400 College Road.? We ate larb, coconut soup spicy prawns and lots of other spicy things.? My nose is still running!

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0? ?Fuel for car $2.89 per gallon
Wildlife sightings: 0
Temps:? High? 69? ? ? Low 52
                Camping Costs: $35.00 per night, $10 at Pioneer Park

Attachments

• Ester04 (Small).JPG
    Ester04 (Small).JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Ester03 (Small).JPG
    Ester03 (Small).JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Ester02 (Small).JPG
    Ester02 (Small).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Ester05 (Small).JPG
    Ester05 (Small).JPG
    47 KB · Views: 71
June 27, 2006? ?Day 35? ?Fairbanks AK

Today we visited the Georgeson Botanical Gardens to see what grows under the midnight sun.? Many flowers were not blooming due to a late June 1 frost.? Studies are on going on for tomatoes, corn and cherries, which are tough in this weather. (Especially tomatoes without a green house.)? It was a pretty sight and stunning for me to recognize so may flowers.? Terry?s mom would have loved this visit. You should see how high they build the fences so moose don?t jump over and eat the cherry tree saplings.?

In the afternoon we visited Pioneer Park.? It was originally built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the purchase of Alaska from Russia.? Today it is an historical site and community park.? It reminded me of Knott?s Berry Farm many years ago.? The park has many museums and galleries.? Terry went to the Pioneer Air Museum and I chose to go through each little building that was moved here and is now a shop setup like a gold rush town. The carvings by local residents were fascinating and I could not sleep over one bear? standing on a whalebone while fishing.? Tomorrow will tell if I make it mine.?
We had the car serviced and got? ?free? car wash.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0?
? Wildlife sightings: 0
Temps:? High? ?70? ? ? Low 50
Camping Costs: $10? ?Boon Docking
GPS: 64.83744, -147.77376

Attachments

• Botantical Garden02 (Small).JPG
    Botantical Garden02 (Small).JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Botantical Garden08 (Small).JPG
    Botantical Garden08 (Small).JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Botantical Garden10 (Small).JPG
    Botantical Garden10 (Small).JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Botantical Garden07 (Small) (2).JPG
    Botantical Garden07 (Small) (2).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Pioneer Park01 (Small).JPG
    Pioneer Park01 (Small).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Pioneer Park20 (Small).JPG
    Pioneer Park20 (Small).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Pioneer Park11 (Small).JPG
    Pioneer Park11 (Small).JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Pioneer Park15 (Small).JPG
    Pioneer Park15 (Small).JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Pioneer Park19 (Small).JPG
    Pioneer Park19 (Small).JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 56
June 28, 2006? ? Day 36? ? Final Day in Fairbanks, Alaska

Today was the coolest event of our trip.? Literally.? We visited the Ice Museum where the displays are stored at 10 degrees. Each year in March an international ice-carving contest is held using ice block from the frozen Chena River.? The blocks are 7500 pounds and 3 feet by 5 feet by 8 feet.? The displays we saw were those carved this past spring. Teams of 2 are given 2 days to carve their masterpieces.? The prize money is only in the hundreds of dollars and contestants must buy their ice and pay an entry fee.? They do many displays for children to play. Terry and I took the opportunity to slide down the ice slide.? We are kids at heart.? We dragged Russ with us and think he was glad he went.

Terry panned for Gold at Gold Dredge #8 this morning.? He said if you are only going to? do one gold panning trip, this would be the one.? There were videos of the workings of the dredge and you get lunch.? He panned for? $7.00 worth of gold and he sent it to his mom in a locket.? What a guy.?

While he was doing this, Russ and I visited the local Farmers Market and bought very expensive vegetables but they are big, pretty and fresh.? Russ and I then returned to Pioneer Park shops and he made an? investment of art in carving form.?We met the carver and he told stories of his ventures into carving. Russ did not sleep on his decision, he just made it!
I decided not to get the bear as I have a Southwest home being built and you don?t see many bears catching fish in Arizona. The evening was made complete by our dinner at The Turtle Club.? George and Don had recommended this place for Prime Rib as had all tour books.? Wow!? What portions, what service what a meal!? I only wish I had had room for dessert as everything here was so delicious!? We have enough left overs for another couple of days. We think we have done everything nine days in Fairbanks will offer.? We have really enjoyed ?the big city.?? ?Off to Denali tomorrow.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0? ? Car fuel $2.86? ?per gallon with the Safeway discount
Wildlife sightings: Ice animals
Temps:? High? ?72? ? ?Low 55
Camping Costs: $10.? Dry camping at Pioneer Park
GPS: 64.83744, -147.77376

Attachments

• Dredge #804 (Small).JPG
    Dredge #804 (Small).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Dredge #810 (Small).JPG
    Dredge #810 (Small).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Dredge #813 (Small).JPG
    Dredge #813 (Small).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Ice Museum06 (Small).JPG
    Ice Museum06 (Small).JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Ice Museum08 (Small).JPG
    Ice Museum08 (Small).JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Ice Museum13 (Small).JPG
    Ice Museum13 (Small).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Ice Museum15 (Small).JPG
    Ice Museum15 (Small).JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Russ' Carving188 (Small).JPG
    Russ' Carving188 (Small).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 70
Hi Betty,

Laurie and I are extremely jealous of you forks and your trip. We had visited almost all the places you have posted photos of during 2003, however almost all your photos are showing some blue sky and you are having nice weather. All our photos of these places are overcast and rainy. We stayed at the Chena Marina also for 6 days and it rained every day. We're sure enjoying your trip with you. It makes us want to go back.

Chet18013

Here is my version of June 28. It will illustrate why I let Betty do all the blogging!

June 28 mahoney Betty and I went to farmer's market in AM. Radishes $2.50/bunch, Zucchini !.00 each! As usual, craftworks outnumbered garden vegies 10-1 this early in the season.

Betty then took me to the Pioneer park sales area and we marveled at the bone and antler carving. I was captivated by an ivory and antler carving of a hunter about to harpoon a narwhale. The hunter's parka is moose antler, the harpoon is ivory and the barb is baleen. The kayak is done by another artist (who built the display kayaks for the university museum), and is made of wood ribs and seal gut for the leather shell.

Terry returned from the gold dredge tour none the richer (entry fee $25.00. panned gold $7.00. net loss $18.00! He did luck out and got done just as the cruise ship tour busses started to arrive.

We all went to an old movie theater to see the winter ice sculpture contest as a video slide show. They have frozen display cases with this year's entries.

For supper we took George Van Luchine and Don Miller's advice and dined at the Turtle club. Located 10 miles out in the country (quite close to the gold dredge) this supper club has a smokey bar and clean air in the quite cool dining area. Our service was superb and the prime rib excellent. I particularly liked the variety in the salad bar. $40.00 a head seemed reasonable for Alaska.

June 29. Here is my one wildlife photo of the whole day. Taken outside the Denali visitors center next to my car>

Attachments

• Denali NP-0021.jpg
    Denali NP-0021.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 68
Looks like an Alaskan Reindeer to me, if you say it is. LOL? ?How did you manage to get him to pose for you. Probably paid him peanuts.

Shayne

He was having his lunch there when we returned to the car and just stayed and finished whatever he was eating.  Betty said he was eating a jalapeno.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom