Alaska with the Brewer's 06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Betty,

Will wonders never cease! You finally posted some photos of a cloudy day and the photos I have of the same location in "03 are sunny.  I was compairing your first picture of the entire front of Portage Glacier with one I took from almost the same location. My photos were taken on July 1st, so the time of the year was almost the same. It appears the the face of the glacier is in about the same location, but the height has decreased a little bit.  Did they make any comments about this at the visitor center?

When you get to Exit Glacier, be sure and post one of it also. There they have makers showing how much the glacier is receding.

Have you ever tried to stand in one location and just turn your head from left to right and hold the camera at the same elevation. When done with about a 50% overlap with the previous picture, you can get a great panorama--sometimes. If you want to try it, go to www.autostich.net and download a free program to assemble the photos into one panorama.  I'll post a couple that I have done in the photography section of the forum.

Chet18013

Chet18013 said:
Will wonders never cease! You finally posted some photos of a cloudy day and the photos I have of the same location in "03 are sunny.? I was comparing your first picture of the entire front of Portage Glacier with one I took from almost the same location. My photos were taken on July 1st, so the time of the year was almost the same. It appears the the face of the glacier is in about the same location, but the height has decreased a little bit.? Did they make any comments about this at the visitor center?

Chet,
Visitors Center, nor Tour guide? made any mention of the Glaciers? recession that I recall.? "They" say photos of? glaciers are better when it is a bit cloudy as the blue shows up more.? I will try the panoramic photo thing but my days are pretty full.? How did we ever have time to work?? It was hard to select photos to post on Forum as I took over 60 and Terry took at least as many.? It is an awesome sight that photos cannot capture, though your panoramic photos posted in photo section sure do a good job of capturing the magnitude of the scenery. Thanks for sharing.

Betty

July 11, 2006    Day 49  Anchorage AK

Today Terry took the car in to a Napa service Center and had the front tires balanced.  It did not fix the shimmy.  So he took it to a local tire shop and they cleaned out pounds of dirt from the  rear wheels and  balanced them and voila?no more shimmy.

Meanwhile, Russ and I went to the Anchorage Museum of History and Art and met up with birthday girl, Lorna. The museum has a wonderful display of artwork. My favorite was in a beautifully lit room with a huge painting of Mt McKinley.  It was captivating and had been donated to the museum by Alaskan Airlines.  We had the good fortune to have a local volunteer lead us through the exhibits and illustrate the historical time line to the present Anchorage.  Anchorage is just like any other big American  city.  Politics, taxes, social problems, crime, speeding and many service minded people doing good things make up the news.

Thanks to Margi?s suggestion we visited The Sagaya Market.  It has every type of ingredient you could imagine for oriental cooking.  One entire aisle is dedicated to different types of soy sauce; same for noodles.  And the fresh fish?..If you give them 15 minutes notice they will boil up fresh crab legs for you. Russ made a few selections of hot sauces and I will check my recipes before going back again to see what I really need.  Russ, Ned and Lorna head south tomorrow and Terry and I will visit the Native Cultural Center.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0    Car :
                Wildlife sightings: 0
Temps:  High  69    Low  51
Camping Costs: $ 27 full hook ups  Ship Creek Landing RV  Park 

Thanks guys.? Ned took me to Chair 5 Restaurant in Girdwood, AK? for lunch and I had halibut which was very good and cheese cake for dessert.? So it was a day late it but was worth the wait.? We took the tour saver tram ride with Russ to the top of Alyeska Resort.? The view was outstanding and we watched several parasails take off from there which looked like fun.? We are at the Williwaw CG and Ned is online but Russ has to come by us since he couldn't get a site near us.? Since it is a US Forest S campground the three of us get to stay for half price with our Golden Age Pass.? The view is fantastic complete with snow capped mountains and a hanging glacier.? Tomorrow we will go over to Whittier for breakfast and check out the glacier cruises.

Lorna said:
Tomorrow we will go over to Whittier for breakfast and check out the glacier cruises.

I think you'll have a better selection of glacier cruises either in Seward or Valdez. Check to see if there is coupon in your tour saver coupon book for Kenai Fjords Tours in Seward. One of the division managers that I worked for at WesTours is the director of marketing. If you see their office in Seward ask if Barbara Kagerer is there and tell her Don said hi.

In Valdez, Stan Stevens Cruises and the Lu-Lu Belle are good. We've been out with Stan several times and it was always a good trip.

July 12, 2006 ,? ? ?Day 50? ? Anchorage

It was a beautifully clear day today with Mt McKinley visible in the long distance.

We had lunch at the Arctic Road Runner, a hamburger joint recommended by a longtime Alaska resident, George.? It was one of the best hamburgers you can imagine with country music playing and Ship Creek running in our view.? ?Thanks George for the recommendation!

? Then we were off for our cultural trip for the day.? This was in my opinion a MUST SEE event for anyone who has an interest in people native to Alaska.? The ?Alaska Native Heritage Center? has only been opened since 1997 and it was a very well spent day.? It is a beautiful facility with films all day long in their theatre, demonstrations of native dancers and an outside tour of typical homes built by each of the 5 major native tribes in Alaska.? A major thing I learned today is that there is a linguistic relationship between native languages here and those in Arizona.? These natives seem to be related to Apache, Navajo and one other Southwest tribe whose name I can?t recall.? ?Our guide was a native Athabaskan and about 21 years old.? He shared his upbringing and how his aunts and uncles had the responsibility to teach him the ways of the land.? It is the custom of the natives for aunts and uncles to teach, as parents tend to be too permissive.? There is no word in their language for cousins as all are considered brothers and sisters.? He had his first shotgun at age 6 and shot his first moose at age 18.? He was proud of his ancestry but quick to point out how hard the old ways are and how much easier it is to just turn up the thermostat or to go to Home Depot to get your stuff. He described how hard the Whale hunt is. He gives tours here in the summer but works as a heavy equipment operator in the winters.? Terry spent a full 45 minutes in the theatre while I watched dancers.? When I joined Terry in the theatre, the hunt for the whale was still on and blubber as a delicacy was just not my cup of tea.? Then we went outside and toured a replica of each of the 5 native cultural homes.? I learned that each one of us lives in an ?igloo,? as the definition of igloo is home. I think this cultural center is an excellent representation of native Alaskans.? The Totem Pole we saw represented that children are the base of carrying on the traditions, and I can?t recall al of the other stuff up the pole.?
A very nice day.?

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0? ? Car fuel,? $2.79 per gallon
Temps:? High 66? ? ? ?Low 54
Camping Costs:? $27 full hook ups? ?Ship Creek Landing

Attachments

• Anchorage42 (Small).JPG
    Anchorage42 (Small).JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Anchorage45 (Small).JPG
    Anchorage45 (Small).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Anchorage48 (Small).JPG
    Anchorage48 (Small).JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 51
  • AK Heritage Center274 (Small).JPG
    AK Heritage Center274 (Small).JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 49
  • AK Heritage Center275 (Small).JPG
    AK Heritage Center275 (Small).JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 49
  • AK Heritage Center276 (Small).JPG
    AK Heritage Center276 (Small).JPG
    141 KB · Views: 48
  • AK Heritage Center290 (Small).JPG
    AK Heritage Center290 (Small).JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 46
  • AK Heritage Center271 (Small).JPG
    AK Heritage Center271 (Small).JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 50
Here are a couple of more pics of Mt. McKinley about a 120 miles away.

Attachments

• Anchorage43 (Small).JPG
    Anchorage43 (Small).JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Anchorage44 (Small).JPG
    Anchorage44 (Small).JPG
    37 KB · Views: 60
Betty Brewer said:
July 10, 2006  Day 48  Anchorage, Portage Glacier,  A huge River of Ice

We took Chet?s suggestion and looked around Girdwood ski resort and scoped out a possible place to camp on our way back from our Kenai Peninsula visit. 

When we were in Girdwood in 2003, we dry camped in the ski area parking lot.  Think the fee was $10.00.  The town didn't allow "unauthorized parking".  We were there several times, since the top of the tramway is a prime launch site for paragliders.  We liked the town; Dan got in lots of flying time and I picked lots of huckleberries on the ski slopes.

Jeannine

Lorna said:
We took the tour saver tram ride with Russ to the top of Alyeska Resort.  The view was outstanding and we watched several parasails take off from there which looked like fun.   

Lorna,

Don't let Dan hear you call them "parasails".  They are paragliders (the things he fliies)!  You can arrange an tandem ride on one.

Jeannine

July 12, mahoney:
Took the car out early to fuel up. Fred Meyers and safeway/carr's were both without power, so came back to CG and left the car there while I took the RV over to Goodyear for 4 new tires on the rear axle. I thought I could get away with waiting to change them come winter, but found sidewall cracks in Fairbanks. Wingfoot got a set in from Seattle in less than a week! As to price... well better to buy down south!

Went back to Fred Meyer and fueled up the RV (saving 3cents/gal). Driving west on DeBarr, I could see the snow covered giant volcanos on the N side of Cook inlet in the clear blue sky. As I got to the S edge of town, my brake controller for the toad started squealing so I stopped at a emergency turnout by Potter's marsh and reconnected the 7 wire plug in the front of the car. The stop got me a fabulous view of Mt McKinley, cloud free. My first view of in from ground level in 3 Alaska trips!

Twas beautiful weather for driving down the Turnagin arm... sparkling sea, whitecaps in the outgoing tide, craggy seaside rocks, dreary grey mud flats, soaring mountains with snow patches, waterfalls, a quaint little ski resort town with tram ride. I met up with the REITERS there and we road up 2300 ft to a great scenic view of mountains and a small part of the fiord. To add interest to the vistas, a paraglide rider jumped off just below the viewing platform and I got many good shots of his graceful descent to a meadow quite close to our RV parking lot. As I prepped the photos for the forum, I see that the paraglider has a passenger!

They have made the NE side of the Turnagin arm a safety zone. 55 mph speed limit (down from 65) and double fines. That does not seem to deter the locals at all. They still go way too fast and pass recklessly.

15 miles south to Willowah CG near the Portage glacier lake. $7.50/ nite- seniors rate. No hook ups. reiters got site 32 and got connected to the internet satellite 127! I got site 11 with no access due to trees. On the next day, I was able to move to site 31 and get connected as well!

87 miles today, no wildlife.

July 13. Awoke late and had to scramble to get to tunnel for the 8:30 am transit window of 15 minutes. We made it and drove into Whittier, a working port of small photo opportunities in a beautiful fiord with snow patched mountains and waterfalls.

The CG is a open gravel lot down near the shore with a treeless margin. BUT the mountains on the south side of the fiord run NE and block access to TV and internet. The "town" is mainly a working port with a cruise ship dock, glacial cruise vendors, fishermen, alaska marine highway ferry dock and container ship dock with railroad support.

We had breakfast at the hotel cafe/bar. Good food, mine came promptly and was quite hot. The view through the windows of the mountains was patchy due to a myriad potted plants.

We had barely enough time to book a Saturday glacier cruise and still catch the 10 am tunnel time. Booking took too long. The lady had to first enter data into the computer ( which they had just installed this year) and then fill out several paper forms and do the credit card entry as a separate transaction. They need to hire another programmer!

By the way, today is sunny and warm...till late afternoon when rains moved in. after 6 pm, the temp is 56 F.

Attachments

• portage_glacier1_the_1E6A42.jpg
    portage_glacier1_the_1E6A42.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 52
  • portage_glacier2_the_1E6A71.jpg
    portage_glacier2_the_1E6A71.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 48
  • turnagin_arm1_bird_p_1E6A28.jpg
    turnagin_arm1_bird_p_1E6A28.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 53
  • turnagin_arm2_girdwo_1E6A83.jpg
    turnagin_arm2_girdwo_1E6A83.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 49
  • turnagin_arm2_girdwo_1E6A94.jpg
    turnagin_arm2_girdwo_1E6A94.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 47
  • turnagin_arm3_waterf_1E6A79.jpg
    turnagin_arm3_waterf_1E6A79.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 50
July 13, 2006? ? Day 51? Last day in Anchorage

Today Terry had his favorite lunch of the entire trip.? He felt like he was back at work in Monterey Park.? He said we should have been eating there all week long.? I shopped at the Sagawa Market and should be all set for a spicy Asian meal real soon.? We did chores and will take off tomorrow for Willowah State Park.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0
Temps:? High 72? ? ? ? Low 53
Camping Costs: $27 Full hook ups Ship Creek Landings

Attachments

• Anchorage57 (Small).JPG
    Anchorage57 (Small).JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 51
July 14, 2006? ? Day 52? ?Portage Valley Glacier Area

We moved south out of Anchorage today and met up with Russ, Ned and Lorna at Willawaw, a US Forest Service Campground with no services tucked back within tall trees and shrubs. Well, I miss my Internet but I will survive! We took a drive back to Girdwood Chair 5 Restaurant for lunch and again it was a hit for all. Russ shared his salmon quessidilas with us and yum, it was a treat.? We noted how much this area lives up to the fact that it is in a rain forest.? While in the campground it is misty and wet and lightly sprinkling, within 2 miles toward the road it is still, cloudy but dry.? We noticed today how much traffic there is on this 2 lane road heading toward the Kenai Peninsula with lots of cars, motorhomes, SUV?s with boats and big rigs.? ?Russ and Terry scout out a place to park on Sunday so they can hopefully catch a TV signal for formula one race. Russ has a new toy (like Lorna?s) that is a big hand held compass that tells you precisely what direction you are facing.? We seek clear views of Southern skies.

Lorna and I headed off the very close by, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center as it was in our Tour Saver coupon book as a freebie and we never pass up a bargain. Every time I visit a place here in Alaska it exceeds my expectations, as I had no clue what to expect.? This place was actually like a ?drive through zoo? with places to stop and get out and watch wildlife through the acres of ?fenced in? areas set up for public viewing.? The place is privately owned and the owner seeks federal grants to preserve wildlife that have been injured or orphaned.? ? The new bear cub is here as a result of her mom being shot. A zoo in Ohio has adopted the bear cub and in 18 months (when they estimate her habitat to be ready) she will be sent there to live.? ?The moose here are babies of mothers killed by traffic.? The owners then seek adoptive parents for the animals.? These animals will likely never be returned to the wild having had this close encounter with ?Man.?? ?While I realize these sightings are not as good as animals in the wild, it was a chance I will never ever get to see them so up close and personal.? The bears behind the electrified fence are but 3 feet away. I could see quills very distinctly on the back of the porcupine.? We wondered about the history of each animal, as it is not very clearly made evident.? The gals in the gift shop near our RV Park told us more than the park itself!? The animals we saw today included; owls, coyotes, brown bears, moose, caribou, musk ox, fox, bald eagle and tons of bison.
We also learned that the earthquake in 1964 destroyed the town of Portage as it sunk 8 to 12 feet allowing tidewaters to flood the town.? Entire forests were killed by sal****er in their roots.? As nature heals, the forest will come back and the land is rising with silt and debris and plant matter.? Nature is grand!? We are starting to see the fireweed in bloom.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 54? ?
Wildlife sightings: 2 rabbits, (Several but in a conservation area)
Temps:? High? 54? ? ? Low 48? 0.03 inches of rain today
Camping Costs: $13 Willawaw, US Forest Service Campground, Dry camping in trees, good roads
GPS: 60.78569, -148.87865

Attachments

• Kenai07 (Small).JPG
    Kenai07 (Small).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Kenai09 (Small).JPG
    Kenai09 (Small).JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Kenai10 (Small).JPG
    Kenai10 (Small).JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 48
  • WildlifeConservation277 (Small).JPG