Alaska with the Brewer's 06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RV Roamer said:
Nice pics, Betty. I think we have some identical ones from our time in Haines with Russ.?

Gary,

Russ did mention that his first bear sightings were with you guys.  He recalls giving Paul his camera  while he stayed in the safety of his car!  What a sight!
Betty

UK-RV said:
We were told a great way to remember the names of the salmon - very similar to your description - it was on an Alaskan cruise last year and we still remark on it today.

Your thumb sounds like CHUM.
You use your index finger to poke someone in the eye - sounds like SOCKEYE.
Your middle finger is your largest - the KING.
Your next finger is your ring finger, and a ring is often SILVER.
Your little finger is your pinky - so think PINK.

Yep that's just what they said only your memory is better than mine.  :)

Betty

UK-RV said:
Your thumb sounds like CHUM.
You use your index finger to poke someone in the eye - sounds like SOCKEYE.
Your middle finger is your largest - the KING.
Your next finger is your ring finger, and a ring is often SILVER.
Your little finger is your pinky - so think PINK.

Paul

I'm good with that in all but the index finger in the eye.  When I think of a poke in the eye, I think of the Three Stooges.  I'll probably now remember the second one as Moe.

>>He recalls giving Paul his camera? while he stayed in the safety of his car!<<

Yeah...Now he is outside? chasing them up & down the river & across the bridge.<G>

He recalls giving Paul his camera  while he stayed in the safety of his car!  What a sight!

I remember - Paul & I were clambering around the river bank trying to get a clear shot of a grizzly.  I was doing videos and Paul had the still camera.    But Russ got some terrific photos too, including some of the ones we cherish the most.  His "Dawn on the Chilkoot River" (early morning mists rising from the river just below the lake) graces one wall in the coach right now and brings back warm memories every time it catches my eye.

Hi Betty,

Happy Birthday a little late. Haven't been on for a few days and just saw your message. Hope you have many, many more!!!

Betty,

When you come to visit us in Florida I will show you more blue herons than you care to see. :) along with egrets, skimmers, roseate spoonbills and many others. There's nothing like wildlife whereever we are!!!

Jim Dick said:
I will show you more blue herons than you care to see. :) along with egrets, skimmers, roseate spoonbills and many others. There's nothing like wildlife whereever we are!!!

Gotta give it to you Jim, Florida has the best birding in the US. Probably the only thing that would bring us back there. Guess those feathered critters like the heat and humidity.

Jim Dick said:
Betty,When you come to visit us in Florida I will show you more blue herons than you care to see.  along with egrets, skimmers, roseate spoonbills and many others. There's nothing like wildlife whereever we are!!!

You're on.  I hope Terry lets me use his camera once or twice!
Betty

August 31, 2006? ? Day 100 Haines, Alaska ?

We awoke this morning to the Alaska we have come to love. It was cloudy and raining!? I visited the Sheldon Museum and had a haircut.? Russ made a big investment in Alaskan art but that is his story! Terry and I toured the Chilkat State Park and wandered into a neat little art gallery. I now own a piece of stained glass art from a Haines artist!? ?We visited the Dalton City area of town, which was the scene of the movie ?White Fang.?? ?We toured Fort Seward Area and finished visiting all art galleries in town.? We leave tomorrow via the ferry and I could have spent a few more days here.? We missed several tourist things in town.? Their schedule has slowed down and only certain hours are available.? Today was DAY 100 of our trip.? We celebrated with a Thai lunch and left overs for dinner.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0? ?
Wildlife sightings: 0
Temps:? High 55? ? ? Low 51? ? ? ? 0.62? ? ?inches of rain
Camping Costs:$ 22? full hook ups with cable, Ocean view RV park

wendycoke said:
Gotta give it to you Jim, Florida has the best birding in the US. Probably the only thing that would bring us back there. Guess those feathered critters like the heat and humidity.

Wendy,

Titusville is on the migratory flight path and one of the best birding spots around. With the National Seashore and Wildlife Refuge there's lots to see. They have a birding contest in November each year. I'm not a birder but do love to see them in their natural habitat.

Betty Brewer said:
Tell Peg thanks? for the tip.? I have? a couple of days here so I will shop carefully and look for? fabric.? I used what she gave me for a pillow I have in cabin in Idaho!

Don,
Tell Peg?I visted Charlottes Web here in Haines and they did not have any moose? fuzzy fabric.? They did have some neat sea otter fabric.? I have noticed many quilt shops here in Alaska.? Seems they have long cold dark winters, so quilting must be? a popular activity.? I love to look at them but I do not have the patience? nor skill to complete them.

Betty

Ron said:
And there is an abundance of bugs in Florida.

Ron,

I hate to break the myth but there are as many bugs in other states as there are in Florida! We are hardly bothered by any bugs during the winter and the summers are no worse than any New England states! Humidity is very close to New England if you keep tabs on the weather. The worst problem we have ever had was in North Fort Myers where the sand fleas were incessant. It's the only place we have had any problems. I would imagine the black flies in Maine far outweigh any bug problem in Florida!!!!

Worst problem we ever had with bugs in Florida was when the Love Bugs were out.....not a good time to be driving a large vehicle with a flat front. Oh, and stepping in fire ants but we had those in Texas, too.

wendycoke said:
Worst problem we ever had with bugs in Florida was when the Love Bugs were out.....not a good time to be driving a large vehicle with a flat front. Oh, and stepping in fire ants but we had those in Texas, too.

Wendy,

Love Bugs only come out twice a year so they can be avoided. Fire ants are ineveitable but one can easily see their nests and avoid them. If you don't they sure do sting!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom