EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Alaska with the Brewer's 06  (Read 142243 times)

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: Alaska with the Brewer's 06
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2006, 07:37:53 PM »
Although I was offline for the past 2 days, I have not been that relaxed in years :)  Somehow, knowing that I couldn't access the internet made me find other things to do, and I got some chores done that I had been postponing as well as a lot of reading.  Tonight, however, we're at the WalMart in Grande Prairie, AB, with Russ, and online again.

Everything Betty said about the Icefields Parkway is true, it is some of the most beautiful scenery in North America.  We'll have photos on our photo site in a day or two, but tonight is going to be spent catching up on the past two days of email and forum messages.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2006, 07:54:39 PM »
Sam noted Terry wasn't wearing his sandles in the photos. :D
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2006, 09:04:48 PM »
He wasn't wearing shorts either  ;D
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2006, 06:49:08 AM »
Hi Betty & Terry,

More great photos. You are making me very anxious to get up there! I was amazed that Terry actually had boots on in one of the photos!!!! I've seen the long pants before but never boots. ;D ;D ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2006, 12:35:43 PM »
Betty:

I really have been enjoying your trip and glad that you actually got to see what I consider the most beautiful part of your trip.  You should have gone to Alaska first so you could really en joy this  sight on the way back.   In my opinion, Alaska will be anti-climatic.   Alaska is nice but nothing will rival what you just saw other than Mt. McKinley, if you actually get to see it.  You will see many black bear along the way, along with moose, elk, deer, goats, etc..

Have fun.   You should have spent several days along the Ice Fields Parkway.  Many great off the path beautiful sights.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

fredethomas

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2006, 12:47:22 PM »

Hi Betty:

We're enjoying your posts very much and are reliving our trip up there.  We so much enjoyed the Banff/Jasper area and found that scenery so very magnificent that I'd do that area again and could even stay a summer there.  Keep the pics and narratives coming as they are a very vivid explanation of what you are seeing and are renewing our memory cells of that trip.

Daisy & Fred
FRED E. THOMAS

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »
Shane

>>Looks as tho Terry may have found a new toy<<

The guy offered to sell it to me for $250,000.<G>

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2006, 01:27:13 PM »
Here are some more pics of the Ice field glacier tour.

The only time I am wearing my shorts is while driving....too cold & don't want to get bitten.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2006, 01:58:27 PM »
More great photos. You are making me very anxious to get up there! I was amazed that Terry actually had boots on in one of the photos!!!! I've seen the long pants before but never boots.

Jim,

In anticipation of walks in the snow, Terry sent for these boots by mail.  They were a bargain and he said kept his feet warm and dry on the glacier.  He is prepared !  This trip is a do over for sure!

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2006, 02:07:16 PM »
Here is Russ dressed appropriately for Canada/Alaska.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2006, 02:08:16 PM »
      I really have been enjoying your trip and glad that you actually got to see what I consider the most beautiful part of your trip.  You should have gone to Alaska first so you could really en joy this  sight on the way back.   In my opinion, Alaska will be anti-climatic.   Alaska is nice but nothing will rival what you just saw other than Mt. McKinley, if you actually get to see it.  You will see many black bear along the way, along with moose, elk, deer, goats, etc..     Have fun.   You should have spent several days along the Ice Fields Parkway.  Many great off the path beautiful sights.
Ron,
 I realize that Alaska may not have such scenery as we are viewing but I am fresh on the trip and if I waited until the end of the trip I might be too exhausted to enjoy it so much!  :) For sure Canadian Rockies are a trip all by themselves and we will hopefully try to do it again sometime.  We did spend two days and  250 miles on the Icefield parkway.  Hit every turn out!  Glad you are enjoying the photos.

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2006, 02:19:13 PM »
Day 10    June 2, 2006   Jasper to Grande Cache or so

We awoke and packed up and were ready to leave Jasper by 10 am.  Russ, Ned and Lorna left at 8:30.  We drove through pretty countryside within a forest  tree farm for miles.  Evidence of tree harvesting, replants and next harvest signs were posted outside the many, many logging roads.  This is definitely timber country.  The roads were 2 lane, and picturesque.  At Grand Cache we met up with Ned and Lorna who were doing a quick run with laundry and we logged quickly onto Russ’ Internet connection.  As the local campgrounds were full we headed north looking for a suitable overnight spot.  We rejected a couple of turnouts that were close to a coal mining operation and some along river with very muddy looking grassy fields. 
We pulled into a Forest service Recreational area and when Russ and Ned could not get a satellite signal they headed north for Grand Prairie.  I liked this remote spot and we got a TV signal so we were good for the night. No photos today. Headed for Dawson Creek tomorrow.

Statistics:
Motorhome miles driven:  167
Temperatures:   High  70       Low  48    Cloudy and light evening sprinkles clearing to a colorful sunset at 10:45 pm
Rainfall to date: 0.62
Animal Sightings:  elk, several deer along the road
Forest Area Camping $0.

Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2006, 02:32:05 PM »
LOL Terry, great photo.

BTW are you seeing lots of bugs?

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2006, 03:11:05 PM »
Russ starting a new trend in head covering design.
Old, Stubborn, Opinionated, Set in my Ways, and Independent,  IMHO

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2006, 03:50:20 PM »
Jim,

In anticipation of walks in the snow, Terry sent for these boots by mail.  They were a bargain and he said kept his feet warm and dry on the glacier.  He is prepared !  This trip is a do over for sure!

Betty

Betty,

I'm glad to see Terry has boots. We don't want him to lose any toes! :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »
Terry,

As much as I hate to, I'd skip the shorts as well. :)

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

jandespiller

• ---
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2006, 04:26:36 PM »
Great job Betty, keep it up................It's ninty two here in Cypress,Ca......John Spiller

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2006, 09:48:02 PM »
Tom

>>BTW are you seeing lots of bugs?<

Until we got to Dawson Creek there have been few bugs....but at this campground there are swarms of large nat-like bugs.

By the way about 99% of the RV's we see are "Rent-Mobiles" ( My name for any type RV rental). see attached pic.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2006, 10:27:35 PM »
Thanks Terry and thanks for the picture of Rent-RV-ville.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2006, 12:01:06 AM »
Day 11, 2006   Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada…  Gateway to Alaska

Ok you guys this is it.  We are really on our way to Alaska.   We left our little dry camp deep within the forests of Alberta at 8:30 am and drove toward the west through Grand Prairie on to Dawson Creek, British Columbia. (We are back on Pacific Time). It was very windy all the way!  Three deer ran across the road well in front of us and we saw a moose along the road today but couldn’t get to the camera fast enough to catch him.  When we arrived at “Mile ‘0’ RV Park and Campground” Russ, Ned and Lorna were there and they had “saved” us a site.  Who would know that the sites are filled every night.  It could be that the book we bought, Alaskan Camping, by Mike and Terri Church is read by all.  The campground is in a city park like setting and is surrounded by quaking aspen trees and swarms of bugs.  I have not been bitten but every time we open a door or window they rush in.

Dawson Creek is the place where the Alcan Highway begins. It is now called the Alaskan Highway.  At the visitors center (a 1931 Northern Alberta Railway Park) today we learned many things.  The tour book listed the one-hour video as a not to miss highlight to the construction of the Alcan Highway.  Alas when we arrived and inquired about the video they said it was out of order. I was so very disappointed.  Terry asked, “Do you mind if I take at look at your system?”  The gals looked like he could do no harm and agreed.  Within 2 minutes Terry had their video up and running and we saw the fascinating one-hour story of the construction of the Alcan Highway. Seems war is a good motivator and this highway was built within 8 months in 1942 to serve as supply points for the already established airfields within the Northwest.   The US Army Corps of Engineers was used and they partnered with locals from Canada to make this highway happen. I’m glad I did not have to work in mosquito-infested forests with temperatures ranging from 90-degree temps to 70 degrees below 0, within 22 hours of daylight.  Those guys were heroes in the early 1940’s who worked around the clock using the available daylight to construct this highway. 
Did I tell you that this park has free wi-fi and I did my laundry today?  It is so.  We visited a few tourist spots like the Mile 0 Marker, the local Dairy Queen and some of the local sights.  The grain elevator holds a fantastic Art Museum that I will revisit tomorrow.  One of my photos today will depict a memorial for workers killed or injured in the workplace.  It is dedicated to workers from all eras, including people involved with the Alaskan Highway.  We still have over 1200 miles to travel before we hit the State of Alaska.  This is a big area! Will tour Dawson Creek some more tomorrow.

Statistics:
   Motorhome Miles driven:  160
   Temps:  High 72  Low 44  wind gusts  to 30
   Campground Costs:  2 nights electric only (free wifi) $35.00
                Wildlife sightings:  3 deer running across road, magpie,  a moose, several stuffed animals in a  pen  in a museum, a magpie and some elk in a pen.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 12:08:47 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2006, 06:22:58 AM »
One side story re the building of the Alaskan Highway.  When the Japanese invaded one of the far our Alaskan islands (US territory)  we immediately sent the Army into Canada to build the highway.  Later, both the US and Canada realized that under international law we had invaded Canada because Army units and not Marines had entered. To fix this technical detail the Canadian Parliament passed a law or resolution or whatever giving the US permission to move Army units into Canada and then they "back dated" it to a date prior to when US Army units entered Canada.  They knew we would go home when it was over!

A similar situation occurred when we moved General Douglas McArthur's Army into Australia during WWII.  Many Australian's have told both Ardra and I that the  reason the US was given permission to do this was because Australia knew that we would go home after the threat of a Japanese invasion was stopped.

JerryF
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 06:26:21 AM by JerArdra »
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2006, 07:07:16 AM »
Terry and Betty -

Your trip log is the first thing I read each time I log on to the forum.  We're reliving our 2000 trip through your excellent postings and wonderful pictures.  You're doing a terrific job of "taking us along with you". 

Margi and Tom

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2006, 07:15:28 AM »
Within 2 minutes Terry had their video up and running and we saw the fascinating one-hour story of the construction of the Alcan Highway.

That's our Terry! ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2006, 10:52:23 AM »
Betty:

It was good that Terry repaired the video, but you could have seen this story at a couple more places along the road.  Almost every museum has a similar, if not the same, film.

How are the fuel prices?  Or haven't you had to refuel yet?

You can get a fuel discount card their in Dawson Creek at one of the fuel stops, that will help a little.  Ask around.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2006, 12:04:28 PM »
One side story re the building of the Alaskan Highway.  When the Japanese invaded one of the far our Alaskan islands (US territory)  we immediately sent the Army into Canada to build the highway.  Later, both the US and Canada realized that under international law we had invaded Canada because Army units and not Marines had entered. To fix this technical detail the Canadian Parliament passed a law or resolution or whatever giving the US permission to move Army units into Canada and then they "back dated" it to a date prior to when US Army units entered Canada.  They knew we would go home when it was over!JerryF

Jerry,
This issue was covered in the video as well.  Seems lots of politicing was done over many issues between the two countries and private cotractors. Nothing is easy is it?
Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2006, 07:43:32 PM »
Here are some pics of todays walking tour of Dawson Creek's murals.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2006, 07:48:42 PM »
Pretty cool. And how were they able to paint you right into the mural, Betty??? Looks just like you :)
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2006, 08:55:12 PM »
Day 12    June 4, 2006    Dawson Creek Day 2

This morning I chose to sleep in rather than accompany the group to breakfast at o’dark thirty.  The RV Park here is very peaceful and the neighbors are very quiet, as one of my photos will illustrate.  Lorna and I set off on foot to explore the Pioneer Village next door.  It was a very well done restoration of buildings from 1928 to the early 1940’s.  The homes were circa log cabin moved here by the historical society.   My favorite was the school building with desks on rails and in a row.  Notable were the maps on display.  Certainly the Canadian Province maps were appropriate but seemed odd to someone who always saw US maps on display in schools. A car show was being held and the cars were from an era long ago and well restored.  We kept seeing items from the past that brought back family memories.

Later in the day Terry and I did the Dawson Creek walking tour. From a city of 600 the population grew to 10,000 overnight when troops arrived in 1942 to build the Highway.    In it’s hey day it was most likely a hopping place.  Today I would say it could use a bit of “downtown” revitalization. One place marked on the tour as an Inn that became licensed to sell alcohol is still a bar and the building holds the distinction of being type of business occupying the same building for the longest period.   We noted a good deal of blood just outside the front door on the sidewalk and it trailed down an alley.  My CSI powers took over, arousing much curiosity.  A few minutes later a police car with lights flashing parked outside the bar.  We still don’t know what happened so we can only guess.   The life size murals painted on the sides of the buildings depicted life in the by gone era and were fantastic. It was like a life size art gallery.  You may note that as it is Sunday I had Terry catch me returning from the “church” in one of the paintings.

Statistics:
   Motorhome Miles driven, 0
   Temps:  High 68  Low 48.  Light  winds with  gnats and flies   Wildlife sightings:  0

Betty Brewer

see where we are

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2006, 09:41:40 PM »
One thing it's not here, is o'dark :)  I was up at 0500 but it was already light at 0400.  It's now 1940 and the sun isn't anywhere near to setting.  We're getting closer to the "land of the midnight sun".
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2006, 11:34:53 PM »
     How are the fuel prices?  Or haven't you had to refuel yet?
     You can get a fuel discount card their in Dawson Creek at one of the fuel stops, that will help a little.  Ask around.

Ron,
With diesel prices now listed in litres it is a bit hard to know just how much it really costs.  We are filling up in the morning at a place we scoped out with prices of 96.9 per litre.  We  are putting the cost of fuel  on our Visa and letting  them figure the exchange rate. I'll give you a report in tomorrow's log. We'll keep a running total of fuel money spent  and report it at the end of the trip. We both cringed as we chugged up some of the steep grades and the Silverleaf tells us we are getting 1.9 miles per gallon.  Of course downhill looks a lot better.

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Hosted by Over The Network