Alaska with the Brewer's 06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although I was offline for the past 2 days, I have not been that relaxed in years :)  Somehow, knowing that I couldn't access the internet made me find other things to do, and I got some chores done that I had been postponing as well as a lot of reading.  Tonight, however, we're at the WalMart in Grande Prairie, AB, with Russ, and online again.

Everything Betty said about the Icefields Parkway is true, it is some of the most beautiful scenery in North America.  We'll have photos on our photo site in a day or two, but tonight is going to be spent catching up on the past two days of email and forum messages.

Hi Betty & Terry,

More great photos. You are making me very anxious to get up there! I was amazed that Terry actually had boots on in one of the photos!!!! I've seen the long pants before but never boots. ;D ;D ;D

Betty:

I really have been enjoying your trip and glad that you actually got to see what I consider the most beautiful part of your trip.  You should have gone to Alaska first so you could really en joy this  sight on the way back.  In my opinion, Alaska will be anti-climatic.  Alaska is nice but nothing will rival what you just saw other than Mt. McKinley, if you actually get to see it.  You will see many black bear along the way, along with moose, elk, deer, goats, etc..

Have fun.  You should have spent several days along the Ice Fields Parkway.  Many great off the path beautiful sights.

Hi Betty:

We're enjoying your posts very much and are reliving our trip up there.  We so much enjoyed the Banff/Jasper area and found that scenery so very magnificent that I'd do that area again and could even stay a summer there.  Keep the pics and narratives coming as they are a very vivid explanation of what you are seeing and are renewing our memory cells of that trip.

Daisy & Fred

Shane

>>Looks as tho Terry may have found a new toy<<

The guy offered to sell it to me for $250,000.<G>

Here are some more pics of the Ice field glacier tour.

The only time I am wearing my shorts is while driving....too cold & don't want to get bitten.

Attachments

• Icefields Pwky048 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky048 (Small).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Icefields Pwky050 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky050 (Small).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Icefields Pwky053 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky053 (Small).JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Icefields Pwky062 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky062 (Small).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 83
  • Icefields Pwky071 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky071 (Small).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Icefields Pwky079 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky079 (Small).JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Icefields Pwky075 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky075 (Small).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Icefields Pwky076 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky076 (Small).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Icefields Pwky082 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky082 (Small).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 90
Jim Dick said:
More great photos. You are making me very anxious to get up there! I was amazed that Terry actually had boots on in one of the photos!!!! I've seen the long pants before but never boots.

Jim,

In anticipation of walks in the snow, Terry sent for these boots by mail.  They were a bargain and he said kept his feet warm and dry on the glacier.  He is prepared !  This trip is a do over for sure!

Betty

Here is Russ dressed appropriately for Canada/Alaska.

Attachments

• P1000683 (Small).JPG
    P1000683 (Small).JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 93
Ron from Big D said:
? ? ? I really have been enjoying your trip and glad that you actually got to see what I consider the most beautiful part of your trip.? You should have gone to Alaska first so you could really en joy this? sight on the way back.? ?In my opinion, Alaska will be anti-climatic.? ?Alaska is nice but nothing will rival what you just saw other than Mt. McKinley, if you actually get to see it.? You will see many black bear along the way, along with moose, elk, deer, goats, etc..? ? ?Have fun.? ?You should have spent several days along the Ice Fields Parkway.? Many great off the path beautiful sights.
Ron,
I realize that Alaska may not have such scenery as we are viewing but I am fresh on the trip and if I waited until the end of the trip I might be too exhausted to enjoy it so much! ?:) For sure Canadian Rockies are a trip all by themselves and we will hopefully try to do it again sometime. ?We did spend two days and ?250 miles on the Icefield parkway. ?Hit every turn out! ?Glad you are enjoying the photos.

Betty

Day 10    June 2, 2006  Jasper to Grande Cache or so

We awoke and packed up and were ready to leave Jasper by 10 am.  Russ, Ned and Lorna left at 8:30.  We drove through pretty countryside within a forest  tree farm for miles.  Evidence of tree harvesting, replants and next harvest signs were posted outside the many, many logging roads.  This is definitely timber country.  The roads were 2 lane, and picturesque.  At Grand Cache we met up with Ned and Lorna who were doing a quick run with laundry and we logged quickly onto Russ? Internet connection.  As the local campgrounds were full we headed north looking for a suitable overnight spot.  We rejected a couple of turnouts that were close to a coal mining operation and some along river with very muddy looking grassy fields. 
We pulled into a Forest service Recreational area and when Russ and Ned could not get a satellite signal they headed north for Grand Prairie.  I liked this remote spot and we got a TV signal so we were good for the night. No photos today. Headed for Dawson Creek tomorrow.

Statistics:
Motorhome miles driven:  167
Temperatures:  High  70      Low  48    Cloudy and light evening sprinkles clearing to a colorful sunset at 10:45 pm
Rainfall to date: 0.62
Animal Sightings:  elk, several deer along the road
Forest Area Camping $0.

LOL Terry, great photo.

BTW are you seeing lots of bugs?

Betty Brewer said:
Jim,

In anticipation of walks in the snow, Terry sent for these boots by mail.  They were a bargain and he said kept his feet warm and dry on the glacier.  He is prepared !  This trip is a do over for sure!

Betty

Betty,

I'm glad to see Terry has boots. We don't want him to lose any toes! :)

Tom

>>BTW are you seeing lots of bugs?<

Until we got to Dawson Creek there have been few bugs....but at this campground there are swarms of large nat-like bugs.

By the way about 99% of the RV's we see are "Rent-Mobiles" ( My name for any type RV rental). see attached pic.

Attachments

• Icefields Pwky085 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky085 (Small).JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 97
Thanks Terry and thanks for the picture of Rent-RV-ville.

Day 11, 2006? ?Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada?? Gateway to Alaska

Ok you guys this is it.? We are really on our way to Alaska.? ?We left our little dry camp deep within the forests of Alberta at 8:30 am and drove toward the west through Grand Prairie on to Dawson Creek, British Columbia. (We are back on Pacific Time). It was very windy all the way!? Three deer ran across the road well in front of us and we saw a moose along the road today but couldn?t get to the camera fast enough to catch him.? When we arrived at ?Mile ?0? RV Park and Campground? Russ, Ned and Lorna were there and they had ?saved? us a site.? Who would know that the sites are filled every night.? It could be that the book we bought, Alaskan Camping, by Mike and Terri Church is read by all.? The campground is in a city park like setting and is surrounded by quaking aspen trees and swarms of bugs.? I have not been bitten but every time we open a door or window they rush in.

Dawson Creek is the place where the Alcan Highway begins. It is now called the Alaskan Highway.? At the visitors center (a 1931 Northern Alberta Railway Park) today we learned many things.? The tour book listed the one-hour video as a not to miss highlight to the construction of the Alcan Highway.? Alas when we arrived and inquired about the video they said it was out of order. I was so very disappointed.? Terry asked, ?Do you mind if I take at look at your system??? The gals looked like he could do no harm and agreed.? Within 2 minutes Terry had their video up and running and we saw the fascinating one-hour story of the construction of the Alcan Highway. Seems war is a good motivator and this highway was built within 8 months in 1942 to serve as supply points for the already established airfields within the Northwest.? ?The US Army Corps of Engineers was used and they partnered with locals from Canada to make this highway happen. I?m glad I did not have to work in mosquito-infested forests with temperatures ranging from 90-degree temps to 70 degrees below 0, within 22 hours of daylight.? Those guys were heroes in the early 1940?s who worked around the clock using the available daylight to construct this highway.?
Did I tell you that this park has free wi-fi and I did my laundry today?? It is so.? We visited a few tourist spots like the Mile 0 Marker, the local Dairy Queen and some of the local sights.? The grain elevator holds a fantastic Art Museum that I will revisit tomorrow.? One of my photos today will depict a memorial for workers killed or injured in the workplace.? It is dedicated to workers from all eras, including people involved with the Alaskan Highway.? We still have over 1200 miles to travel before we hit the State of Alaska.? This is a big area! Will tour Dawson Creek some more tomorrow.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles driven:? 160
Temps:? High 72? Low 44? wind gusts? to 30
Campground Costs:? 2 nights electric only (free wifi) $35.00
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Wildlife sightings:? 3 deer running across road, magpie,? a moose, several stuffed animals in a? pen? in a museum, a magpie and some elk in a pen.

Attachments

• Dawson Creek01 (Small).JPG
    Dawson Creek01 (Small).JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Dawson Creek02 (Small).JPG
    Dawson Creek02 (Small).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Dawson Creek05 (Small).JPG
    Dawson Creek05 (Small).JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Dawson Creek08 (Small).JPG
    Dawson Creek08 (Small).JPG