FMCA 4 Wheeler Rally in Moab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betty Brewer

Moderator Emeritus
We have  been enjoying the company of lots of new  4x4 friends.  We are attending our second FMCA (Family MotorCoach Association)  Rally this time in Moab Utah.  It is a very organized group of friendly and helpful people with some awesome Jeeps and equally awesome driving skills. We are staying at Portal RV  but the club  has basically taken over many of  the campgrounds in town.  We meet at designated spots and times for rides and runs  and challenges of our choosing.

We had a very tippy new experience today that required the  rescue by some of those  fine friends I just mentioned.  They may have  become my new best friends today! I will  now go get a beverage to help soothe the nerves, then  I will post a photo or two of the event on Mashed Potatoes designated a 3.5 ( on a 1-5 scale).  Whew!

Here are some scenery and event photos from our day in Moab.

Attachments

• IMG_6375.JPG
    IMG_6375.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6376.JPG
    IMG_6376.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6392.JPG
    IMG_6392.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6401.JPG
    IMG_6401.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6405.JPG
    IMG_6405.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6463.JPG
    IMG_6463.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6464.JPG
    IMG_6464.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6466.JPG
    IMG_6466.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6467.JPG
    IMG_6467.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6468.JPG
    IMG_6468.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6500.JPG
    IMG_6500.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6503.JPG
    IMG_6503.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 74
Methinks you need to have a couple of libations!  ::)  Oh yes, nice scenery too.

ArdraF

really... were you takin' the pics or were you in one of the Jeeps?  The black one with the roof rack?  Jus' wonderin'...  that was probably rated a 2+,  ;D  ???

I was IN the Jeep at the clearly  45 degree angle until the friends got us attached to  winches for safety to ensure we would not roll over .  Then,  and only then,  did I ask to exit the vehicle, because I saw the  tree stump likely to impale me if/when we rolled over. At this angle  your seatbelt locks so it was a bit of a challenge but  they got me out quick. I  faded onto the rock when my legs failed so I  sat down  and took  subsequent  photos. (maybe had a bit of a cry too)
Terry never got out of  vehicle.  In reviewing the photos we see how far off line we were but when  one is pointing up to the sky, one cannot see the road in front of you. We have done far more challenging things and not landed in this predicament before.  And yes believe it or not, it is fun.  We had great stories to tell at Happy Hour.
Tomorrow we seek out a 4 rated  run, Steel Bender.  (by the way our license plate was  a bit bent in today's rescue.

Stay tuned.  I  promise Terry will not lead runs like this on the RVForum Rally (unless John Canfield  attends!)

A secret in an adventure like this is to travel with experienced people who know what they are doing. And yes it was more than one glass of wine happy hour!

Ernie - Are you sure that's Terry?  Doesn't look like him to me.  But then I wouldn't recognize Terry in long pants.  ;D

Margi

We were more sensible and took pictures instead of trying to kill ourselves (at least so far). The Orange (Dozer please) Jeep is ours. That pic is from Saturday; the rest are from today.
Tara took all of them. Saturday was a 3 of 5 and today's was 2.5 of five; but we'll be to 3.5 by Saturday.

Tara n Ernie

Attachments

• JeepClimingSM5062.jpg
    JeepClimingSM5062.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 72
  • SoldiersMoad2072.jpg
    SoldiersMoad2072.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 58
  • View1SWM5072.jpg
    View1SWM5072.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 53
  • View2MoabTara5072.jpg
    View2MoabTara5072.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 47
  • YesWeWereThereToo5072.jpg
    YesWeWereThereToo5072.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 60
taoshum said:
really... were you takin' the pics or were you in one of the Jeeps?  The black one with the roof rack?  Jus' wonderin'...  that was probably rated a 2+,  ;D  ???

Yes we are a dark green Jeep with a roof rack.  Good eye Gary. The part on which we got into trouble  was "easy" unless you got way off line like we did.  Terry said something like he must have had a " brain fart" when he saw the photos after the fact.

I am ever so grateful for the fine folks who came to our rescue and  to all others who waited patiently while we were rescued, oh wait they went ahead and had lunch!

Looks like the nasty weather missed you? Snow in the high country between Denver and Grand Junction and cloudy all down here in Cortez.

Wendy

Today required a full wardrobe, sweatshirt and long pants in morning,Very cool morning.  Lighter shirt mid day , hot enough at times for sleeveless. Tonight looks like a front and rain but no rain.  We are hunkering down with ham and  bean soup with salad. Light winds.

Ernie n Tara said:
We were more sensible and took pictures instead of trying to kill ourselves (at least so far).
Beautiful shots of a beautiful place.  Don't you feel wonderfully fortunate to have the  good fortune to do this sport? Life is  good.

Betty

Oh gosh Betty, I'm so glad to hear you were both OK. This is an example of why we don't/won't participate in this "sport".

Tom,

No way was our life, limb or property in any danger today. ( Well maybe some Jeep damage) The choice to go 4 wheeling holds no greater risks than boating, golfing, exercising , driving.  Everything we do in life  to participate  holds some  risk.  As we age and  realize many friends  can no longer do the activities we do, we find  NOT  doing the activities the risk.  We choose to live  life to fullest and  do what we can while we can.  It also helps to have friends like those in FMCA to help us if we need. Let us recall the RVForum rally with the Talent Show to end all talent Shows!  What a group!

Activity makes such good Happy Hour talk no matter what we do...., photography,  breeding dogs, gardening, 4 wheeling, Forum posts, traveling, collecting things,  cleaning house, cleaning motorhomes, eating ribs, drinking beer such good talk and good conversation!  Life is good.

Betty

I saw the  tree stump likely to impale me if/when we rolled over.

No way was our life, limb or property in any danger today.

OK, which one is correct Betty?  ???

Everything we do in life  to participate  holds some  risk.  As we age and  realize many friends  can no longer do the activities we do, we find  NOT  doing the activities the risk.

No disagreement! But we choose not to take unnecessary risks, which is why I've taken up the risky pastime of playing the ukulele  ;D

There really isn't a lot in the way of risk to life or limb. Literally thousands of people use these trails every week and, while there is some vehicle damage, very, very few are actually injured. I over spoke using the word kill, although it happens in bath tubs all of the time.
The leaders are very responsible about evaluating your equipment and skills, and they provide assistance and guidance where appropriate. I've done this before, albeit to a limited degree, and I've been impressed with how much education there has been on each of the runs.
The benefit is that you get to see and appreciate parts of this great country others will never experience.

Ernie

Remember; Life is not a rehearsal!

Understood Ernie, and I was merely teasing Betty. But I was also relieved that she and Terry were OK.

We have a number of friends and neighbors who tow Jeeps behind their coaches, and some of them are serious off-roaders. We've also heard them tell all kinds of stories about the places they were able to explore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom