Licensing Requirements for RV Drivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure that posting all this legalese is very helpful to our audience  As is so common with the text of laws, typically paragraph 201(x) gives and paragraph 207(z) takes away again, and the terminology and verbage is anything but clear.  It would be of much greater value if we could boil it down to the essentials rather than quoting regulations that do not apply, e.g. who needs a CDL.

For example, in Florida, driving a recreational vehicle for personal use is exempt from all further licensing requirements. A regular passenger car driving license is all that is needed.  I learned this a few years ago via an email from the Florida DMV, after wading though numerous conflicting paragraphs of DMV regulations.

As member of the travel trailer persuation, I am stuck by the prevalence of the 26,000 lbs GVWR requirement.  A question arises:  What is the GVWR of the typical all bells and whistles 40 foot Class A land yacht?  One of you motorhomers got an answer? 

Tom?

Our 38' Endeavor LE has a GVWR of 24,850#, but the modern 40' diesel will often run 30,000#+.

Carl,

Our 38' Monaco has a GVWR of 32,800 lbs and a UVW of 28,250 lbs.

Tom said:
Carl,

Our 38' Monaco has a GVWR of 32,800 lbs and a UVW of 28,250 lbs.

Hooo boy!  ::)

That aint a GVW that's a tonnage.  It don't weigh, it displaces.  You come'n down the road, I get outta the way!

Our 2001 Tradewinds is on a 2000 Freightliner chassis with a 26,800 GVW, I think the next year they jumped again and most Freightliners today are over 30k.

Carl,

Our 2001 38' Dutch Star has a GVWR of 31,000 and a GCWR of 41,000!!? We typically weigh around 29,500 and the Jeep is close to 4,500 for a combined weight of 34,000.? BG

RV Roamer said:
I'm not sure that posting all this legalese is very helpful to our audience? As is so common with the text of laws, typically paragraph 201(x) gives and paragraph 207(z) takes away again, and the terminology and verbage is anything but clear.? It would be of much greater value if we could boil it down to the essentials rather than quoting regulations that do not apply, e.g. who needs a CDL.

For example, in Florida, driving a recreational vehicle for personal use is exempt from all further licensing requirements. A regular passenger car driving license is all that is needed.? ?I learned this a few years ago via an email from the Florida DMV, after wading though numerous conflicting paragraphs of DMV regulations.

I agree that the legalese is a pain, and I hope to summarize things as best I can, but I wanted to make sure that the quotes and documents that I'm going to base the summaries on are there for reference since I'm not a lawyer and don't guarantee the accuracy of the summaries.

Al

Carl Lundquist said:
That aint a GVW that's a tonnage.  It don't weigh, it displaces.

LOL Carl, we're lightweight compared with many coaches. OTOH you can add another 7,000 lbs for the Suburban we tow. Are we within the weight ratings? We sure are and I used the numbers for our coach in a couple of articles in the library.

Tom said:
LOL Carl, we're lightweight compared with many coaches. OTOH you can add another 7,000 lbs for the Suburban we tow. Are we within the weight ratings? We sure are and I used the numbers for our coach in a couple of articles in the library.

Suburban.? ?::)

I initially got the word on you motorhomers up in the Sequim KOA in WA.? We camped there with our Bronco pulled 23 foot TT.? ?One afternoon a Prevost pulled in next to us.? Their toad was a Bronco.? Same model as our tow vehicle.? ?I think it was that more than the chandelier in the dining area of the Prevost that convinced me that Class A's were a different universe all together.

Anyway, I think we have adequately established that if one is in the market for a big Class A, one had better take a good hard squint at the drivers license requirements for one's state of residence -- before one drives off the dealer's lot at the wheel of the thing.? ?Same with big 5th wheels.

but I wanted to make sure that the quotes and documents that I'm going to base the summaries on are there for reference since I'm not a lawyer and don't guarantee the accuracy of the summaries.

Probably wise, Al.  Motor vehicle regulations sure are a pain to sort out.  Trailer Life and others have tried to summarize them in every day English for several years now and each and every try at it  has been castigated for alleged errors.  You are about to take  abig risk, I fear!  :eek:

Remember, no good deed goes unpunished.  :D

[quote author=Carl Lundquist]Hooo boy!
That aint a GVW that's a tonnage. It don't weigh, it displaces. You come'n down the road, I get outta the way![/quote]

I wish the little 4-wheelers would realize this instead of barging into my front dead zone!
Edit: Fixed quote.

RV Roamer said:
Probably wise, Al.? Motor vehicle regulations sure are a pain to sort out.? Trailer Life and others have tried to summarize them in every day English for several years now and each and every try at it? has been castigated for alleged errors.? ?You are about to take? abig risk, I fear!? :eek:

Remember, no good deed goes unpunished.? :D

Very true!  We'll see if I get very far.  It's amazing to me that even Highway Patrol and DMV officials have no idea what the rules are!

Then there are some states, such as Montana, that requires a person holding a CDL to get an endorsement to double or triple tow even non comercial RV.  However, the person with just a regular drivers license requires no endorsement to double to an RV just hook up and go.  Stupid IMHO.

Al,
The summary is consistent with the limited amount of data I have seen or heard and is one of the most lucid summaries I have seen.  However, it does not seem to address the question of sir air brake-equipped vehicles. AT least some states have an endorsement or other requirement for air brakes.
Edit: Fixed typo.

I like the touch of having an icon indicating the reliability of the source of the data and a link to the official websites.

My understanding of the law for driving: If you are legal in your home state ie: the vehicle tag and drivers license match then all other states will honor.

vpic said:
My understanding of the law for driving: If you are legal in your home state ie: the vehicle tag and drivers license match then all other states will honor.

According to my contact in the CHP (my son) Your driver's licence determines your "home" state and thus your licensing requirements.

Al

Back
Top Bottom