New to RV'ing...questions on duct work in older Terry TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

311hemi

I just bought a 94' Terry 39' Travel Trailer for the family.  Used it for the first time last weekend and found that the screen where the furnace is inside the trailer blow a ton of hot air out, so I know the furnace is working.  However I don't get much of any air flow out of the vents.  My question is should the floor vents have some forced air coming out of them?  I could feel just a bit of warm air...but it seems like the way the furnace was blowing out of the screened area in front of the furnace it should be pushing a lot of air though the vents.

Also, when I turn the fan on at the thermostat it starts blow air out of the vents in the roof, but they do not feel warm.  Are these strictly for the roof mounted A/C unit?

Welcome to the gang!!!

It is highly probable that the furnace does not feed the duct system if you are getting a strong flow from another vent. One way to be sure is to open the big vent in front of the furnace. (This vent is likely the return for the furnace air). If the furnace is intended to feed the floor vents, you will likely find the feed right in front of you as part of the furnace "box". Otherwise there will likely be round tubes connecting to other hot air vents usually in a vertical surface like an inside wall or kitchen breakfast nook bench.

The fan switch on the thermostat is usually for the A/C fan and has nothing to do with the furnace as it is a self-contained unit.

Here's a thought...On the furnace set ups I've seen, the large grill is usually the return and the floor vents are the supply. If there is considerable fan noise and air coming out the return vent (if that's the case), could be that someone has wired the dc fan motor in reverse and it is spinning backwards.

Water Dog said:
Here's a thought...On the furnace set ups I've seen, the large grill is usually the return and the floor vents are the supply. If there is considerable fan noise and air coming out the return vent (if that's the case), could be that someone has wired the dc fan motor in reverse and it is spinning backwards.

The furnace is located in a cupboard at floor level (as I am sure most are) and there is a roughly 8"x12" grate there (see blue arrow below).  There is a considerable fan noise and hot forced are coming out of that grate.....so I guess that is a possibility.  How would that be working if that should be the intake?  The trailer has 5 floor vents that I am aware of.

This is my first trailer and I only had one night in it so I have not had a ton of time to poke around to see how everything works....so I appreciate the input!

Attachments

• Furnace Capture.JPG
    Furnace Capture.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 31
I don't know about the air but I finally got my furnaces to kick on and run in a  20 year old one, man what a racket.  I went outside and looked in and there were wasp nests all over, one furnace the fan wouldn't run at all. 

I cleaned inside the fan housing, couldn't hardly get my vacuum nozzle in there and more wasp nests, once I got those out I was good to go.

Just might be saying that might be part of your fan noise problem, the other I haven't a clue.

Remove that return grate and have a look inside.  Check that the furnace output is connected to the vent ducts.  It's probably flexible dryer type exhaust hose and has either disintegrated or just come loose.

311hemi said:
I just bought a 94' Terry 39' Travel Trailer for the family.  Used it for the first time last weekend and found that the screen where the furnace is inside the trailer blow a ton of hot air out, so I know the furnace is working.  However I don't get much of any air flow out of the vents.  My question is should the floor vents have some forced air coming out of them?  I could feel just a bit of warm air...but it seems like the way the furnace was blowing out of the screened area in front of the furnace it should be pushing a lot of air though the vents.

As lou said above.  pull the vent cover you have arrow pointed to and look.  Im guessing your furnace has a disconnected or defective hose to the vents below.  That vent should only collect air to be heated and sent out the floor vents.

Also, when I turn the fan on at the thermostat it starts blow air out of the vents in the roof, but they do not feel warm.  Are these strictly for the roof mounted A/C unit?

Themostat fan only mode runs the AC units fan only.    Two different systems.

I found the issue.  There were two 4" holes in the sheet metal on the heater that were open and allowing hot air to blow right out of the heater.  In the course of trying to fix the stove I happened to find 2 round sheet metal inserts laying under the stove that were made to plug those holes.  I plugged them up and now have good air flow through the floor.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  Just wanted to post the end result.

Back
Top Bottom