Route 101. Medford to Olympic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aubreyshaw

Hello!

We will be driving from Medford to Olympic, WA in 2 weeks.  We have a 34' 5th wheel.  Can we take Route 101 in such a rig?  If so, any suggestions of where to stay along the way?

Thank you!

Is that The Olympic Peninsula or Olympia,Wa.?  Either way 101 will work.  A little twisty and narrow in spots but ok.  Oregon State Parks all the way to Astoria.  Then you can continue 101 north or head east to I-5.  101 in Washington not as scenic but still worth the drive.

you'll have no problems
done it numerous times
LOVE the oregon coast
have fun!
pdq

Medford is not on US101 but I5.  How do you plan to get to 101?
Shortest would be  I5 north to MP162.  Hwy 38 to Reedsport and get on 101 there.  Somewhere you are going to have to get back to I5 to get to Olympia.  For that I would suggest hwy 30.  It follows the Columbia river east and cross the bridge at Longview and continue north on I5 to Olympia.

Hwy 101 almost goes up the coast in Oregon and Washington where it goes around the Olympic Peninsula and ends at Olympia.  I always thought that's interesting.  When you leave Olympia heading toward California you're on Hwy 101 North, then once you get up to Port Angeles, you're on 101 South. 

If you want to really take the scenic route, take 199 from Grants Pass over to 101 near Crescent City, CA and head north.  If you're short of time use I-5 for part of the trip, but take 101 as much as possible.

When you leave Olympia heading toward California you're on Hwy 101 North, then once you get up to Port Angeles, you're on 101 South. 

Actually, it's been re-signed to placate the locals.  101 along the north side of the  Olympic Peninsula from Forks to Quilcene is now designated 101 East(bound) and 101 West(bound).

So going around the Olympic Peninsula you go from 101 North to 101 East to 101 South, without ever leaving your lane.

Actually, I'm not sure if the stretch from Quilcene to Olympia is labeled North and South, or just with the destinations.

:mad: Watch out for the Scottsberg Bridge. Many mirrors have been ripped  off there. Make sure your Passenger side mirror is not sticking out too far.

That is a fantastic route with amazing scenery.  We wont be going any farther north than Seaside/Cannon Beach this year but we sure do love to stop for crab dinner in Dungeness, WA.  There might be room for you to stay at the Kalaloch campground, which is beautiful tree covered and right on the sand.

Jeff

Today, we just drove from Portland to the Olympic Pennisula and are there now.  We traveled I5 then 101N.  It's very pretty, windy in some place and a couple of narrow concrete bridges along the way.  We are camped in Port Townsend right on the bay with a 180 degree view!  However, it's raining, but still very nice.

Marsha~

Thank you for all of your replies!  We drove from Florence, stayed in New Port for a week, Astoria for a week, Forks, Wa for a few days and are currently in Port Angeles.  The route was beautiful and easy enough in our rig. 

We are 9 weeks into our 4.5 month "full-time" adventure and loving it!

Edit: Link already in signature line.

We just came from that area; be sure and take time to go to Port Townsend.  If you want to stay there,  they have a campground right out on the water's edge.  We had a ball, we sat and watched cruise ships and freighters going in and out of the sound.  The town is very quaint with old Victorian homes.    If you are interested in the camping it's Port Hudson Marine and RV.  They have a web site and I would recommend making reservations.  Get a site right along the shore line.

If you are heading on to Tacoma or Seattle with the RV, highway #19 to #101 to #3 to #16 is great.  It takes your right down to I 5.

Have fun

Marsha~

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom