Bummed about INS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodsmear

Well after bieng backed into by another RV'er that split in a walmart parking lot, My pasenger side windshield got broken. I called Progressive and filed a claim. They denied my claim stating that it was stress that caused the smash-break. I paid for primium covrage... And they still denied my claim... Gee go figure...

That is just plain strange.  Of course it was stress... The stress of a vehicle backing into your unit.  This is a hard pill to swallow..

Did the vehicle that backed into you actually hit the windshield or did the impact just overstress the windshield?  If it actually hit the windshield, there s/b some abrasion evidence.

bloodsmear said:
Well after bieng backed into by another RV'er that split in a walmart parking lot, My pasenger side windshield got broken. I called Progressive and filed a claim. They denied my claim stating that it was stress that caused the smash-break. I paid for primium covrage... And they still denied my claim... Gee go figure...

So appeal the adjuster's determination.  Do it in writing and enclose copies any photos or other evidence you may have.

From what I can tell is the guy infront of me backed his trailer ladder into the glass. You can see a small spot of impact 6" down from the winshield. probably from another rung of the ladder.

To get things streighened out, I have actualy paid an atourney to call them.  Sucks but I feel he might make some head way. The best quote here on the Ca coast line has been $1500 to replace the glass. If Ihave to pay $200 to the atourney to save me $800 it will be worth it :) I bought full coverage for a reason. I will give updates as they come.

For clarification....

Did they deny to pay at all?  Or deny it as an Uninsured motorist claim?

Here in TN, (not sure about other states) for it to qualify as a UM claim with a "hit and run" there has to be a Police report.  I really dont see how they could completely deny it under comprehensive as even a stress crack would have been covered.

Don

The mission of a Insurance Company is to collect premiums and not pay claims so they can take the money you give them and loan it back to you to buy a house.

I'm not at all surprised they denied the claim. It's what they do.
It's a sweet business when you can get the government to pass laws that require your customers to buy your service on your terms.
Thanks for helping "Redistribute The Wealth" in this country.

Theberrys said:
It's a sweet business when you can get the government to pass laws that require your customers to buy your service on your terms.
Actually, this is a misleading statement in this case.  One is only required to buy liability which wouldn't cover this anyway.  But, if one must blame it on something, the government is as good as anything, I suppose.  Personally, I see this as a commercial enterprise doing what commercial enterprises do - make money.  If you don't like the way they do business, don't do business with them.

Theberrys said:
The mission of a Insurance Company is to collect premiums and not pay claims so they can take the money you give them and loan it back to you to buy a house.

I'm not at all surprised they denied the claim. It's what they do.
Thanks for helping "Redistribute The Wealth" in this country.

To the best of my knowledge, the only insurance that the states require that a motorist carry is public liablity and property damage (PL/PD).    PL/PD protects the victim in an accident for which you are liable.  Moreover, in California, the PL/PD minimum requirement is only:
  • $15,000 for injury or death of 1 person per accident
  • $30,000 for injury or death of 2 or more persons per accident
  • $5,000 for any property damage per accident.
15/30/5 is not going to get you too far in a state where the courts routinely levy damages in 6 and 7 figures for injuries.  A person with any sort of assets or income is well advised to carry insurance in the 6-7 figure range. 

What is redistributing the wealth is not the insurance requirement, it is the insurance need.  If you get into a injury-involved accident, you are going to need that insurance, just for the lawyers you will need, even if you are not at fault.

My State Farm, in your situation, covers me using my Collision coverage (been there before).  Uninsured motorist is used when the "known driver/vehicle"  does NOT have insurance.
If the person does not stop, how do I know if he has any or not??

mr300ce said:
My State Farm, in your situation, covers me using my Collision coverage (been there before).  Uninsured motorist is used when the "known driver/vehicle"  does NOT have insurance.
If the person does not stop, how do I know if he has any or not??

Not sure what state you are in, but here in TN,  Hit and run can be filed as an Uninsured Motorist also as long as there is a police report within 48 hours.  That is a part of the state UM law and all the companies I sell it for handle it that way...

Im thinking that they offered him a settlement under collosion as that is what he had was a collosion loss.  OP likely has a $1000 ded vs the $200 on Uninsured Motorist Property damage.  That is (Im guessing) where he got the figure of saving $800 by paying the attorney $200 to contact them. 

Two comments:

1: Sounds like a good time to go insurance shopping and tell Progressive WHY!!

2: Regarding the required coverage.. While the government only requires PL/PD. the bank that holds the note on the RV requires FULL COVERAGE in most cases.

There is another recourse.  Call  your insurance adjuster and give him the opportunity to  rethink his decision  before you call your state ?Banking and Insurance Commissioner?  Have the Commissioner?s  name handy. I?m sure  the will adjuster will change his mind but if he  refuses to,  then report it to your Commissioner. Some states have the insurance regulated under the ?Attorney General?s Office? so do a little research and know what you are talking about.
There are a lot of good insurance companies and they would have paid a glass clam without using an adjuster.
I think we should all take a look at our policy?s,  we give a lot of money to the insurance companies.

Worth a shot but maybe walmart has it on tape. I doubt they will look for it but maybe you can sweet talk them into reviewing their parking lot cameras.

Call back in a week and you'll get another insurance customer service rep. Tell him a rock hit the window and they should replace it. Some states, like Florida, mandate that windshields be repaired/replaced without having to pay for a deduction or rate increase.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your RV.  Based on my dealings with Progessive I'm not at all surprise.  Hope things work out for you.

thomasamski said:
Call back in a week and you'll get another insurance customer service rep. Tell him a rock hit the window and they should replace it. Some states, like Florida, mandate that windshields be repaired/replaced without having to pay for a deduction or rate increase.

This is not advisable as they have a report of the first encounter.  Unless you have a receipt for the replacement and it happened again this could be considered Insurance Fraud,  which happens to be a Felony!!

That sounds like Progressive. :mad:  Sorry Flo, you're cute & funny but your company stinks.  They gave me a 30+% increase on my motorcycle insurance a few years ago.  No claims for 7+ years and never late on a payment.  I called them and and spoke to the highest level I could get on the phone.  Probably a $12 an hour supervisor.  I asked them nicely to back out the 30% increase or they'd lose 100% of my business.  They didn't get the math.  The next day I cancelled them after securing other insurance before hand to avoid even a minute of lapse.

Wolf Pack Fan said:
That sounds like Progressive. :mad:  Sorry Flo, you're cute & funny but your company stinks.  They gave me a 30+% increase on my motorcycle insurance a few years ago.  No claims for 7+ years and never late on a payment.  I called them and and spoke to the highest level I could get on the phone.  Probably a $12 an hour supervisor.  I asked them nicely to back out the 30% increase or they'd lose 100% of my business.  They didn't get the math.  The next day I cancelled them after securing other insurance before hand to avoid even a minute of lapse.

And the only person in that transaction who gave a good hoot...was ...you...well I'm happy too but that doesn't count much..but if your happy that counts a ton.
Not saying they are the best but I've had State Farm for 20+ years...know my agent and he knows me...I've been to his farm and he to mine....there's something peaceful about ..plus I'm happy w/their service and fees..

George

Back
Top Bottom