RV problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like you should have the problem solved. I am sure they will find the in tank filter almost clogged from the same stuff you had in the main filter. When they drop the tank, have them get the tank cleaned while they have it down which will save you future problems. Not that much more $ and is good insurance.

Yea, that sounds reasonable to me also. Considering how bad the first filter change was I'm surprised the second looked that clean so it seems obvious the fuel isn't getting out of the tank. Hopefully the filter did it's job and their will be no problems downstream.

Update: Got a call from the Ford dealer and he SAID that when the were putting in the fuel pump, noticed what they thought was rust in the tank and told me that it would be an additional $2,256.00 on top of what I was quoted for the repair of today of $1,103.00.  ( $3359.00) WOW!  I asked to look at the fuel pump that they took out and I could not see any rust on that part at all.

Told him, I wanted to think about it and went to pick up the coach and they said they would not stand behind the fuel pump since I was declining the new tank at this time.

I drove the coach about 40 miles and going up some hills and when it came out of overdrive, it ran great!! Had lots of power, problem solved.

Keep in mind about what I said in the beginning of this thread, going on our trip it had no power on inclines or when I dropped out of overdrive.  We had the fuel filter replaced and it was really dirty.  Coming back home, it still had the problem and when I got home (400 miles) changed the filter again and it looked clean.

Don?t mean to be suspicious but am wondering if I really indeed need a new tank!!!!  Wife and I talked about it and this is what we decided. We are gambling I know but the fuel pump was $395.00 and we are going to drive it and IF it is clogs up again, then we will pay the $2,259.00 for the new tank and new fuel pump, totaling, $2,659.00.  I asked him, so it could be ok now, he said, ?well it could run fine for a month or a year or even 5 years but they recommend the new tank. SO our thinking process is that we are gambling $400.00.  If he does it again, then we will have to get the new tank which would cost us now or later, $2,256.00 or IF it in deeds clogs the new fuel pump, then would have to buy another pump.

They also replace the Speed Control System Mod, which was a recall. Wonder what that does.  Hmmmmm Paid under warranty.

I think you made the right choice.  90% of a dealership's profit is not made on the sales floor, it's made in the service department.  They will sell any service or repair they can, to anyone who will pay for it.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I've never experienced any dealership service that acts any differently.

I also agree and would gamble on not needing a tank. They drained it to install the pump so that got rid of some of the crud. Don't know why they didn't flush it with the pump out as an extra charge when you wouldn't do the tank. Either way, always store the rig with the tank full as compared to 1/2 a tank etc and letting scale build up. Glad you got it figured out.

The pump gas we can buy now does not store well.  It can start having problems in about 3 months.  The use of stabilizer will increase it to about a year.  I've got lots of old gas farm tractors and engines.  I had an engine that had two year old stabilized gas in it that would not start until I drained out the old gas and put in fresh.  Then away it went.  All the fuel needs to be used and replaced periodically to minimize problems. 

It's not an issue with the gas breaking down/going bad, it's an issue with rust. Any part of the tank that's covered by gas won't rust. This is a common issue with motorcycles. That's why they're always stored as full as one can get them.

As for gasoline going bad, that's what my dad always says, too, but every spring my line trimmer starts up beautifully on the 2nd or 3rd pull, after sitting all winter half full of gas that was purchased some time the previous spring. I've never used stabilizer. YMMV.

Living in So Ca, we go camping at least once a month and then once a year go on a long trip so the coach doesn't sit that long but I still go out once a week and start it and run the gen at least once a month.

Did think about it but since I had that one filter that was so bad, I better change the one on the generator.

I'm by no means a gas tank expert, but if you're camping at least once a month, then you may not have to worry.

I know that motorcycle owners (I've been one at various times) can be paranoid about the rust issue. There are those who will, after doing the monthly/weekly/daily/whatever start-and-run-until-warm will refill the few drops of gas that they burned, just to avoid any chance of rust. I never did that, and I only ever had to pull and have de-rusted one fuel tank (and I maintain that it was rusted before I ever owned it!).

Back
Top Bottom