1st Voyage - Vintage(OLD) Coach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatlndr

I enjoy reading the forums and have gained a lot of knowledge/info lurking around here. Introduced myself back in Nov. and haven't posted much since except for a few questions.

Been working on the old rig, '82 Cross Country, getting familiar with this rolling hotel. There isn't much I haven't touched or at least looked at to get it ready for the 1st campout, which we did a couple weeks ago. Thought I would share the experience.

We usually camp a few times a year at a lake about 80mi. away. I hate camping, never been able to sleep in tents or back of pickup. DW and her  family has always camped and loved it. So, we decided to try the MH thing. A lot of research and discussing to get to this point.

Anyway, preparing to leave, decided to hook up the water to check the water heater. Had done this previously with no problem. A leak! Water coming out by wheel well from inside coach and city water inlet leaking! Found a T cracked behind stool. Capped off line, continued to lake, and manually filled stool, no problem. Everything worked fine. When repairing the leak, the 30 yr. old pressure regulator at the water inlet finally decided to give out. No water going into coach. Replaced it too

Uneventfull trip to the lake thank goodness. She rolled right on down the road at 55-60. Remember, 1982 - 55mph speed limit - don't think this thing was designed for any faster. It actually drives pretty nice. PO had put Biltstien(sp?) shocks all around and on steering stabilizer. Did notice a slight noise from engine compartment. Shop found a broken alt. bracket when we got back home. Glad it didn't let go completely on the road. Fixed with all new belts.

Backed her into our spot with DW's help, leveled it up no problem, Bro-in-law impressed with backing in, yeah we practiced at home! Set up with no problems thanks to all the info on this forum!

Enjoyed the great afternoon at the lake, campfire,  grilled steaks, beer, good company, etc. DW forgot my bourbon, but did have beer! She had list about a page long of STUFF that we needed! Also , now have bar stocked for coach use only!

Hit the sack, FANTASTIC sleeping in a bed rather than the old alternative! Woke up the next morning with the wind blowing about 40mph and cold. Ah, not to worry, no messing with camp fire, wind, little propane camp stoves, etc. Cooked breakfast, coffee, hot tea, and looked out the window at the white caps blowing across the lake, snug as a bug!. I THINK I'M LIKING THIS!

Broke camp without incident, even at the dump station!. Knew the 20 mi. ride back to the interstate  would be interesting with stong crosswind going through the Ks flint hills. Thought DW was going to join me in my seat a few times when the old bus was rockin down the 2 lane road! Needless to say she wan't relaxed! I thought it drove reasonably well for an old rig. Just had to keep on your toes!. With the wind behind us, we went down hill real FAST!

All in all, was pretty satisfied with the experience. I kind of enjoy driving the old coach. Not as difficult as I had expected. Used to be into antique/classic cars so kind of knew what to expect from old equipment. Will be headin out again next weekend to see what else needs to be fixed. Really don't feel to bad about the tweeking that needs to be done as I see a lot of the same problems with coaches a lot newer.

Sorry for the long post, but thought I would share a newbies experience and to thanks the Moderators for having all the great info available.

Tom B
1-Streetside10-15-1164-1.jpg

Welcome to the RV community. Hope you have many more fun experiences. Don't think I have ever been on a trip where we didn't forget something but we always say " if we need it that bad, just head for Walmart". We also are always tweaking of fixing something, that makes life interesting and keeps me occupied and on my toes.

Its just a different lifestyle. Lots of fun and you meet lots more people than when in a motel room.

Hope to meet up with you down the road sometimes.

Jerry and Patsy

Sounds like you had a good time, Tom. That's one reason we enjoy our mh so much....comfort! Nothing like sitting around inside all toasty while the wind is blowing or the rain is coming down.

I think that is one of the best first time outing stories I've ever heard.  Nothing disasterous, nothing to spoil the trip.  Hope you have many more such.

ALK

Nice story!  I could almost feel like I was there, enjoying the time.  And don't worry about little things breaking and needing repair.  That will only last as long as you have the rig.  Please write after next week's adventures.

this brought back a thousand memories.  We bought our first MH in 95,  She was a 25 foot Midas Kingston ''C'' class.  first trip was to the mountains and the furnace did not work at all but the oven did.  We laid there and listened to the ''rain on the roof'' and we didnt realize we had left the top vent open and we did not have Max Airs .......  the next morning I stepped out of bed into three inches of water on the floor.  I said ''Shux'' real loud and bored a hole in the corner of the room and swept the water out.  I have been stuck on MH, ing ever since ..... 
Fear not.  You are not the only one that has troubles with your coach.  All of them are junk, its just a matter of how much you want to pay for your pile of ''junk'' that you are going to have to fix.
If you have questions just drop me a line on my e mail on this forum and you can bet I have fixed about evrything at least once in my seventeen years of camping. 
Answers are ten cents each and dumb looks are still free and you can pay me the next time you see me. 

thank a vet for your freedoms...........cj...

That is awesome !!!! I hope that my first trip out will be that way. I plan on going over the whole MH before I depart. I want to try and divert any major disaters. Yes tell us how trip #2 goes.

I hope mine is too in a couple of weeks.  Crossing my fingers!! and saying all will be fine.

Thanks all for the kind responses.

COMer and SEAJAY - now those are great lines!

"And don't worry about little things breaking and needing repair.  That will only last as long as you have the rig." 

"Fear not.  You are not the only one that has troubles with your coach.  All of them are junk, its just a matter of how much you want to pay for your pile of ''junk'' that you are going to have to fix"

SEAJAY - I probably would have bailed out and let it sit. Thanks for the kind offer. Will probably be talking to ya.

May the RV Gods watch over us all!
Tom B

Back
Top Bottom