Tires: reccomendations and warnings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenise

We would be interested in both!  The 2007 PleasureWay (Sprinter 2500 chassis) we just bought--we've never owned an RV before-- needs new tires before we go anywhere, and we're trying to sort out the best.  We tend to default to Michelin in all things tire for good wear and quiet riding, but are willing to consider that there might be better options.    The local tire guy reccomended Toyo and Dean (who dat?), but then those were all he had in stock.   

Also, do we need to consider a more all-terrain style or would a simple mud/snow combo be good enough? 

Based on your experience, what do you reccomend and are there any you'd tell us to avoid?

Well Jenise the first thing we must know in order to make recommendations are what are you planning on doing with the RV? Strictly on pavement or are you planning on doing some off-road activities?

On my previous Class C, I replaced the Michelins with Toyo.  The Toyo?s in my opinion were better.  When I need tires on my B I will buy Toyo.  Make sure you get the proper load range, on my B it is load range E.    Regards, Dick

You don't have enough ground clearance in that Sprinter to need any serious off-road tire, so I would use standard highway tires.  Why do you think you need All-terain or M&S?  Will it be a winter driver in the northern states?

Michelin is fine if that's what makes you comfortable, but I would choose any top tier brand. Toyo is a fine tire, so is Goodyear, Goodrich, Bridgestone, Continental. Yokohoma and some others that don't come immediately to mind.  Not all manufacturers will have your size, so that should narrow the field somewhat.  What size and load range do you need?

Gary, we live in the Pacific Northwest, Washington state that is just south of the BC border.  Winters here are relatively mild but occasional snow and ice makes tire traction an occasional ssue, and that makes us hesitant to trust a regular highway tire.  We would not be without a 4WD or AWD for one of our regular cars, for instance. 

Re the question about offroading--we don't know yet!    This is our first RV of any kind and we don't understand exactly what's out there available to us, which is why we posed this question to all of you with so much experience.  We're not very wild by nature or are in our preferences, but at the same time we're not planning to spend our entire live cosseted in some RV park.  We want tires that will be good in state park campgrounds and the occasional gravel road to see some amazing Indian ruins in New Mexico, say. 

To nvrver:  appreciate the reccomendation.  Can you tell me why you liked the Toyos better--did they just seem to wear longer, or what?

I pretty much run exclusively Toyo's on all my vehicles including the mh and am a fan. I have open Country's on my Jeep and it is more of an all terrain type tire...excellent wear and no highway noise, and we have M143's on the motrhome which is a truck highway tread. I also have Toyo's on the wife's Escape that have been on there since 2005 and will probably age out before they wear out.

Unless I had a good reason to go with M&S or another aggressive tread pattern I'd stay with regular highway tires. The noise when driving long distances with aggressive tread is annoying making a 12 hour day seem like 20. The aggressive tread will also create more heat, increasing the chance of blowout if you do go to a hot climate on vacations.

You really need to look carefully at how you think you will use the rig, snow skiing? Winter camping? Eastern WA or Western? Very different climates. Still working or enjoying life? I see very few RV's with anything but highway tires. There must be some reason for that. 

For what it's worth, I didn't put snow tires on my cars for at least the last 20 years and never missed a days work for bad weather. If the snow/ice was too bad for me to get out of the driveway or safely travel the roads, I used chains. The RV never moved during bad weather. Now that we're retired we are never in the area during the bad weather so it's not a problem.

Ken
Puyallup

My vehicle ... the Winnebago ERA ... came standard with the Continental M&S tire. Although the rig came from Forest City, Iowa ... it's ultimate destination was Canada ... Southern Ontario as it turned out.

I do use my RV in the winter and although last year was fairly mild ... that was unusual. I don't know how the ERA will perform in more severe winter weather but if I was replacing the tires today I would probably go with the M&S again. I don't mind the road noise on the highway ... but then again I have nothing to compare it to since I have never ran regular highway tires.

As others have suggested ... it all depends on where you plan to drive and what the weather will be like.

As for off roading ... others are right. There is not a lot of ground clearance here ... trust me I know that all too well. Getting into a campground or a gravel road ... no problem. But don't think you will be doing any kind of serious off roading otherwise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom