2002 gmc2500hd 6.0 pulling question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pudgy

I am installing a hitch on my Rockwood 28ft 5th wheel to pull my 18ft bass buggy all aluminum pontoon.  I am not going cross country, only a couple hours from home to save trips.  My question is, Will I have any power problems pulling this setup.  I live in Kansas so no mountains and I don't try and set speed records.  Also, any mods I can do to my truck to increase power that works?  I am new on here and have read and took advice for awhile now so please chime in.  thank you

You need to learn the max tow rating for your truck and add the weights of the two trailers together to see if it exceeds the max tow rating or not. If anywhere near the max, perfromance won't be great, but should be adequate.

You can view the 2002 Trailer Life Towing Guide here and get the rating for your specific truck. It will likely be in the range of 8000-10,000 lbs.

http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-2002.pdf

Be aware that double towing is not legal in several states and is legal only under limited circumstances in many others. Check yours before attempting this.

Double towing regulations aside, I would say this depends on your definition of "power problems". My 2002 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L was an extended cab, 6.5' box, 4WD, 4.10 gears and had a tow rating of 10,300 and GCWR of 16,000. The GCWR was the limiting factor. Loaded up with the family and all our gear and then hooked up to our current TT with a weight of 8,500 lbs, we were at about 15,500 lbs. It got us where we were going but with any type of incline, very slowly and required a heavy right foot. Trans temp would sometimes spike pretty high.

I know I am towards the top of my weight and power limit.  What I have been trying to figure ouf is what RPM range is good.  I don't have a redline and don't want to blow it up.  Only going a couple hours and plan on traveling during non peak time to limit congestion and to avoid heat of the day.  I appreciate all your advice, and eventually hope to upgrade to a 3500hd diesel.  For now working with what I got. 

You aren't going to blow it up - the ECM will prevent it from over-reving. Your biggest concern will be overheating the transmission if you have to pull some long grades at max load.  The tranny won't necessarily die on the spot, but running at high temps (much over 210) will drastically shorten its useful life.

Biggest thing with a 6.0 is don't lug the engine. If you can lock out overdrive, do it and run in tow haul, try to keep rpms between 2000 and 3000, but 4000 won't hurt if needed to pull a hill.

Back
Top Bottom