Operation Homecoming USA 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BruceinFL said:
Ooops! I was wrong. This is the website for the Welcome Home this year starting June 11: http://www.welcomehome2006.org/.  Sorry 'bout that. :-[

I was there last year for Welcome Home. It was great. Many shows offer discounts to the vets. Most shows also had all the vets in the audience stand sometime during the show. We always got a warm round of applause.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
I was there last year for Welcome Home. It was great. Many shows offer discounts to the vets. Most shows also had all the vets in the audience stand sometime during the show. We always got a warm round of applause.

I'm here now and all the shows we attended, in fact every place we went, acknowledged the military and vets. At the Jim Stafford show tonight he did the same thing plus he brought an Army captain just back from Iraq on stage for a standing ovation. A far cry from us getting spat upon when we came back from Nam. Also made a big to do about several survivors of a North Korean massacre of POWs iin the Korean War who were having a 50 year reunion and were in the audience.

BruceinFL said:
I'm here now and all the shows we attended, in fact every place we went, acknowledged the military and vets. At the Jim Stafford show tonight he did the same thing plus he brought an Army captain just back from Iraq on stage for a standing ovation. A far cry from us getting spat upon when we came back from Nam. Also made a big to do about several survivors of a North Korean massacre of POWs iin the Korean War who were having a 50 year reunion and were in the audience.

Bruce,

Many of the shows we have attended in FL have acknowledeged vets. It's a great thing they are doing. In Branson the theaters have played the anthems of all the services except the Coast Guard. A friend at TGO, who is retired Coast Guard, used to work at one of the theaters. He asked why they didn't play the Coast Guard theme. The answer was they didn't have the music. He obtained it from the CG Academy and handed it out to all the theaters. From what he told me they now play all of the anthems. :)

A lot of folk don't know that the CG was indeed over in Viet Nam.  A very good friend of mine skippered a CG gunboat on the Nam rivers.  I was astonished when I learned about this.

Smoky said:
A lot of folk don't know that the CG was indeed over in Viet Nam.  A very good friend of mine skippered a CG gunboat on the Nam rivers.  I was astonished when I learned about this.

Smoky,

They have participated in all wars as far as I know. My uncle was in during WWII and was on a supply ship in the Pacific. They are even more involved now.

For an interesting read on those River Rats, look up the USS James E. Williams. It was named after a 1st class Bosun that commanded a gunboat. The story of his Medal of Honor action is hard to believe but true. We were fortunate to tour the Williams when she docked in Port Canaveral. James Williams was the most decorated enlisted sailor in the Navy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom