No more Workhorse.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

rls7201

I just found this on the Yahoo/Bounder Forum, posted by Jerry Newberry. I believe it to be factual.

Hey Gang, Just thought I would let everyone know that as of the end of November Workhorse will be gone. They are closing the last remaining factory in Union City IN as soon as they finish their current orders for commercial and diesel motorhome chassis. Then they will sell off all their facilities and machinery. The Workhorse name will be mothballed. This is not a rumor. It is a fact. One of my good friends, Linda DeHaven, will have her last day at the Workhorse factory Friday. She has been a great source of information for us and a fine ambassador to our Workhorse Chassis Owner's Group.

Richard

Yes Workhorse made an announcement last week at a rally in Texas.  The Workhorse TAC (Technical Assistance Center) and UTP (UpTime Parts) will stay open for the foreseable future, but I'm sure that demise won't be long in coming either for those entities.

I haven't heard of Jerry Newberry or Linda DeHaven.

This is interesting since Navistar Specialty Vehicles (Workhorse and Monaco) under Bill Osbourne had purchased the old Monaco Roadmaster/Workhorse (this was a joint venture between Monaco and Navistar prior to going bankrupt) plant in Elkhart out of bankruptcy to make Workhorse and Roadmaster chassis again. At the time he said Union City would close and be move to Elkhart along with Roadmaster moving from Coburg Oregon.I doubt at Monaco current production levels they could along justify the plant - but closing it would mean that either Roadmaster goes away also or they have to find room at the Monaco Wakarusa plant to make the chassis.

The websites for Workhorse, Monaco and Navistar do not have anything yet about Workhorse totally closing all production. Maybe Spartan really knew what they where doing when they moved the RV Chassis business to their Utilimaster plant in Wakarusa! In the small world of RV manufacturers its could be ironic that that Utilimaster once was a division of Holiday Rambler.

Navistar and Workhorse announced the closing of the Union City plant several months ago - here is an article about it:

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2011/09/workhorse-plant-closing-set-for-mid-november/

Workhorse chassis production is being consolidated with other Navistar chassis operations elsewhere.

I do not believe this means the Workhorse brand is going away, but the lack of a gas engine chassis pretty much makes them a bit player in the RV world. At least until front diesels catch on better.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I do not believe this means the Workhorse brand is going away, but the lack of a gas engine chassis pretty much makes them a bit player in the RV world. At least until front diesels catch on better.

Gary, Workhorse has announced they are mothballing the Workhorse brand.  No more Workhorse Chassis will be built, and this obviously includes the front diesel chassis.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Navistar and Workhorse announced the closing of the Union City plant several months ago - here is an article about it:

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2011/09/workhorse-plant-closing-set-for-mid-november/

Workhorse chassis production is being consolidated with other Navistar chassis operations elsewhere.

Gary, That's last years information. What I posted is up to date.

Richard

We may be quibbling over motorhomes vs the Workhorse brand in general. Navistar has indeed stated that the Workhorse motorhome chassis is no longer in production, but that's not the same as the Workhorse brand name disappearing.  Regardless of what brand name it has, they still produce product, e.g. the step vans used by UPS. You can bet that Navistar isn't giving that up on that business. And my guess is that they would also produce a front diesel motorhome chassis again if there was any demand for it. But there doesn't seem to be one right now.

Workhorse motorhome chassis no longer in production

Gary, see my post above, the Workhorse Brand will be mothballed, as reported last week at the 10th anniversary Workhorse Chassis Rally in Texas. 

Back
Top Bottom