Music and lyrics for guitar, banjo, mandolin and ukulele

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
A great site for chords, lyrics, and an online transposer is http://www.chordie.com  The transposer is visible while viewing a song, and will transpose between keys and between instruments.

They seem to be having trouble with their site this afternoon, but check back.

Tom,

Most of the lyrics site online use lyrics submitted by the private sector instead of being submitted by music publishers so use caution.  I've downloaded tons of songs off the internet from various sites and you must always double check the lyrics as they could be wrong.  I suspect that of the songs I've downloaded as much as 25%-33% had some type of error, some of which were quite humorous.  In many instances the same person has submitted the chords, lyrics, and tabs to several sites.

I have downloaded or looked at a lot of lyrics, chords and tabs online and they aren't usually worth the paper they are printed on. Massive amounts of mistakes. Are they legal? Don't copyright laws come into play here?

Thanks, but I'm not sure what I need to be careful about  ???

My ears will usually tell me if a chord is  incorrect, and I already know the correct/original lyrics of most songs I'm likely to sing. In any event, if the lyrics aren't 100%, who'd know if I was merely playing for myself in my living room?

Copyright questions should be addressed to the owner of the site; I don't take any of their stuff and re-distribute it. I see that a number of their songs are linked in from other sites and due attribution given; This is not like file sharing, and there's nothing illegal about linking content. In other cases, music has been written/rewritten/rearranged by a third party and submitted to the site, and again due attribution is given. Best ask the site owner about the legality of doing this.

Meanwhile, I have a bookcase half full of 'legal' songbooks and loose music scores that I've purchased over the years, including a bunch of ukulele songbooks that I've purchased in the last 10 months or so that I've been playing the uke. I've also built a small collection of (legally purchased) mp3 tracks of uke songs to help me learn the music to some of the songs I was unfamiliar with.

Tom said:
Thanks, but I'm not sure what I need to be careful about  ???

I was suggesting that if you're looking for the correct lyrics, what you download may not be correct.  For best results, listen to the song with the downloaded lyrics in front of you and compare it to what you're hearing, you might be surprised at how many mistakes you'll find. 

Understood Steve. I probably shouldn't have included 'lyrics' in the subject line, because I don't normally need to use such sites to learn lyrics. My use would be to learn the chords; Even if I know the lyrics and can sing the melody, I often have no clue what the chords should be, but my ears will tell me if a chord is not correct when I strum it.

Tom,

There is a program that you can purchase online, it's called Transcribe, and it works wonders with helping you figure out a song.  It can even suggests what notes it thinks are being played in any certain interval of a recorded song.  You can get a trial version if you wish to check it out.

http://www.seventhstring.com/index.html

Thanks Steve. Looks like a useful piece of software. I have no idea how much use I'd get out of it, but I might download and use it for the trial period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom