Smell from black water holding tank in park model , 250 gallon holding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njjane

I have a lil log cabin  park model with a 250 gallon holding tank.  How often should I have it pumped and what to do if it smells all the time after each flush?  I am new to this all.  What chemicals if any do you recommend.  Thanks

We (two people) get about 10 days on our 35 gallon tank so if your usage is similar you would get about 70 days before needing to be pumped.

Except for the roof vent your system should be sealed and if there is an odor from somewhere else there is a problem that needs to be fixed.
The only non problem cause I can think of is is using an exhaust fan while flushing.

Most/many  RVers don't use chemicals - just water. Your case is a little different since you are holding the waste longer than most of us. I wouldn't use any chemicals that kill bacteria since you want them working in the tank. Maybe one of the enzyme type products could be used but i am not certain you need anything at all.

Maybe your roof vent is clogged.  Or like mine, the vent line goes part way into the tank, so if it's more than half, the vent is blocked.

Just had my tank pumped at the end of last season.  Had it winterized, and then de-winterized before using and then put enzymes in tank.  Still smells when you flush.. Any other thoughts or ideas?

Did it smell last year?
What kind of toilet?
Do you run the bathroom fan when flushing? If you do, don't.

It will smell more without a bit of water at the bottom.  I always add like 4 gallons of water in my 30 gal tank after dumping it.

Yes it did smell at the end of last season.  I had it pumped and never used it again till this past weekend.

This park model is pretty new.  Was only used last season and the season before.  Pumped at the end of each season and only used on the weekends.

I will add more water and have the roof vent checked out this weekend for blockage.  Thanks

It's normal for the content of the tank to smell, considering what it is.  But normally, with a proper working vent, the smell does not enter the trailer.  I had my flusher opened for 2 minutes straight last weekend to add water and did not smell a thing and never added any chemicals I did not eat or drink first.

Winterized the waste tank??  Is it above ground?  Is it directly under the park trailer, or does the waste flow through an outside pipe to reach it? And I'm guessing it receives gray water as well as black? Or does the gray water (sink & shower) go somewhere else?

I assume it was pumped more or less dry?  If so, you want to add some enzymes to give it a kick start. Something like Roebic K-47 Cesspool treatment or even K-57 Cleaner. Rid-X and other brands of septic treatment would be ok too, but the Roebic K-47 is made for this type of large holding tank, known as a cesspool.

If the tank is away from the trailer, you may need a drain trap between the plumbing and the tank, to prevent tank odors from coming back inside. If you have RV style toilets rather than residential (flush) type, there may not be any trap under the toilet itself, since they are designed to direct drop into a tank. If they are residential flush toilet, the trap is built into the toilet itself.

Yes the tank was winterized. Yes it is above the ground.  RV style foot pedal toilet, grey water is separate.  I will add some Roebic K-47.  Thanks.. Outside vent was replaced last year, as it was not working properly.

Added more water and 1/2 bottle of k-47.  Will let ya know this weekend if the smell is gone.. Keeping my fingers crossed.. thanks

UPDATE:  Smell is less but still bad.  When you flush you dont smell it right away, maybe a minute or so later it smells.  Any thing else I can try?

Odd that you get a delayed smell if you think the odor is coming back via the toilet pipe. Is there by any chance an air admittance valve in the bathroom too? It would be a vertical pipe about three feet tall with a sort of cap on it. Might be inside the sink cabinet. The cap has  flapper valve that may not be closing fully.

Since adding k-47 smell seems to be 90% better but still a small smell lingers. 

Back
Top Bottom