EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: EPDM roof question  (Read 1247 times)

Kathy O

• ---
  • Portland, Oregon for the winter
EPDM roof question
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:55:09 PM »
Hi All,

My 5er is a 2006 with an EPDM roof. The rubber is soft and flexible to the touch and all of the seam caulking is also flexible, and it all looks to be in excellent condition.  A couple of weeks ago, I scrubbed the roof with powdered Tide w/bleach with extra liquid bleach added to get rid of some black marks. I had read that these are acceptable products to use on a rubber roof. I used a medium bristle brush and hosed it off right away. I was just up there and noticed a few things I hadn't noticed before. That doesn't mean those things weren't there already; the longer I live in this rv, the more I notice the little things.  My question... is the rubber supposed to be completely smooth? Except along the edges, where it curves down on the side, it is not perfectly smooth. It has a kind of lumpy texture and there are two lines, from one side to the other, where the rubber is not adhered to the solid surface -- like a long bubble.  It looks like these may be seams. Is this normal? I've seen absolutely no signs of any water leakage inside the rig. I just moved from the cool mountains to the high desert in Oregon, and it's been pretty warm the last several days. I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, though. Should I be concerned or am I being too picky?
Kathy Olsen
2006 Komfort 301 Ultra Limited fifth wheel
Tow vehicle: 2005 Ford 250 diesel