Install a Second Toilet? Can it be done in a Fifth Wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Toad

Hi, RV Folks,

It's me again...still as new and ignorant as before, but I am grateful for your answers to my previous question about dogs.

QUESTION:  Is it possible to pay (e.g., a thousand dollars or so) to have a second toilet installed in a fifth wheel that already has only one toilet, shower, bathroom?  If it can be done, is there a lot of additional work to do with drilling, placement, waterproof base, plumbing, tanks, water flow, waste disposal, etc...that would make it all just a really bad idea?

REASON:  I am researching fifth wheels for my 92 year old mom and me to move into.  I am finding a very few that have an extra bedroom with a half bath...and the models that I do find don't thrill me..yet. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide,

Robt.

With enough time and money it might be possible but what would you be willing to give up?

I've seen both 5ers and coaches that have a extra toilet... I went to a show and saw a 5er w/a slide bunk and 1/2 bath..dealer was from Coloma if my memory serves me..
I travel w/my 84 year old Mom...sometimes it would be nice..but we get by.
As was said what would you give up?? I for one wouldn't want a separate black tank...makes me think of those TV ads where people tow porta-pots behind them...

George

A standard RV toilet has to be located directly above the black water tank. To locate elsewhere, it needs a pumped system, sometimes called a "macerator" or "transfer" toilet, to move the waste to the tank.  The macerator pump grinds up the solid waster and pumps (transfers) it through a pipe to the black tank.  Installing another toilet over the black tank is rarely practical, so the macerator transfer toilet is what you would need.

http://www.thetford.com/Home/Products/PermanentToilets/TecmaSilencePlusRV/tabid/80/Default.aspx

There is also an alternative called a recirculating toilet that does not use an external waste tank - it is self-contained. That is probably the easiest solution to fit in, but involves manually removing the waste from time to time.

Besides the not-insignificant problem of running a waste water line to the black tank, the other issue is finding some space to make into a second bathroom, even if just a toilet closet. Something else has to go.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Thetford-35831-Electra-Magic-Recirculating-Toilet-Parchment-Trailer-RV-Camper_p_769.html

Thanks, All!

I appreciate your replies.  (Clearly, I have a lot to learn.)

I found that RV folks use something called "Thetford Porta Potty" products...among others.

RIght now, I use three portable toilets/ kitty litter/ plastic bags around my house for my mom, So, I went ahead and ordered a Thetford Curve and some Aqua Kem...so I can see what it's like in my current house, compared with the stationary portable commode seats that I use now with my mom.

I have indeed seen some fifth wheels that have an extra half bath, but I am not thrilled with what THOSE give up in terms of basic living room space.

Onward through the fog!

Robt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom