Re-using Antifreeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IowaCamper

I was talking to a friend today about De-Winterzing his Travel Trailer.  He informed me that he saves all the antifreeze that he can when he drains his system.  Then next winter he just adds two or three gallons of fresh antifreeze to what he saved from the spring and that is what he uses for the up coming cold weather.  I've always used fresh antifreeze every year in the old Motor Home, However, this would be a great cost savings if it worked since it takes me between 10 and 12 Gallons to be sure everything is protected.  Cause in case you don't know it can get real, real, real cold up here in Iowa during the winter months.  Has anyone else done this?  Wouldn't it be better to use Fresh each year?  Looking forward to your help and advise on this subject.

John

I assume you are talking about the pink antifreeze for winterizing the water system.  Are you filling the hot water tank or draining the hot water tank and bybassing it?  !0 to 12 gallons seems to be a lot of antifreeze for winterizing.  When I winterized our old Bounder when we were living up North I don't recall using more than 3 Gals.  I have never heard of anyone reusing antifreeze to winterize.  Maybe others will have some rcomendations.

I've never heard of re-using it, but don't see any reason not to either. Just be sure you are not diluting it too much with residual water from your plumbing.  And of course, sanitize the system after draining the antifreeze in the spring.

As Ron says, you should not need 10+ gallons of antifreeze if you drain the water heater and set the vaave to bypass it. If you don't have a heater bypass valave, once can be installed at moderate cost.

The only way I can see to use that much antifreeze is if the hot water tank were filled with it, which of course isn't necessary.  We never used more than a few gallons to winterize our 32' trailer in WI.  Antifreeze is relatively inexpensive that I can see no need to reuse it, although I know of no reason you couldn't.

Thanks for the reply's. Yes i'm talking about the pink antifreeze.  over $3.00 a gallon here in nowhere Iowa.  I don't have a by pass on the hot water heater and don't want one.  Had one and somehow didn't get all the water drained out and the next spring had to replace the water heater.  So from then on I fill the water heater up which takes six gallons. then I add another 4 gallons to the holding tank to make sure I get plenty through out the entire plumbing system to prevent any possible chance of freeze up.  Thanks again for your advice. and If anyone knows a reason not to reuse the pink antifreeze please post it here.  Otherwise I think i'm gonna try it if it ever warms up enough to do so.  lol....."Is this Heaven?  No it's Iowa"

Thanks,

John

If your going to reuse the antifreeze I would suggest you use it in the holding tanks since you put that much in there. I never used that much in there.

Good ideal Ron, Actually I meant the Fresh water tank then pump it through the system real good but I like your ideal.  Some day I'll be able to go south or southwest for the winter and won't have to worry about it.

Thanks again,

John

IowaCamper said:
Good ideal Ron, Actually I meant the Fresh water tank then pump it through the system real good but I like your ideal.? Some day I'll be able to go south or southwest for the winter and won't have to worry about it.

Thanks again,

John

Heading South is the best way to winterize and lot easier and enjoyable too.

Reusing is fine as long as you do not dilute it.  Used to do that for many years on my boat.  A very good way to reduce living expenses if you have a place to store it.

Smoky said:
Reusing is fine as long as you do not dilute it.? Used to do that for many years on my boat.? A very good way to reduce living expenses if you have a place to store it.

Not as good as avoiding temperatures that require winterization procedures. ;D ;D

Smoky said:
Aye Ron!? Our new lifestyle will allow us to switch to your method.

We find there are other benefits of using our method of winterizing too, like no snow to shovel, frost to scrape off the windshiled, and many more. ;D ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom