BEST WINDOW SEALANT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krausefive0

I have a leak at my side window.  My T.T has aluminum siding. The window is the type that has an interior and exterior frame. They are held together with 20 or  so screws.  More or less sandwiching the unit between the frames.  What is the best stuff to seat the exterior window? Should I use the buthenal (spelling ?) tape , silicone, or non lapping cement, or what. Thanks all in advance for the helpful information

They are usually bedded with putty tape and then a bead of silicone sealer around the outside edge to finish it off. If you want to make it last longer finish it with 3m 5200, but it is a sticky icky mess unless you have worked with it before.

I would use the butyl tape but you will have to remove the window to do so. The original is very likely dried out in spots. I would NOT use 5200 as it will be impossible to remove once cured. 4200 might do it but...  After replacing the window, use a caulking that is compatible with the aluminum siding. I suggest using masking tape on the siding around the window before applying any caulk, leaving only a narrow space around the window frame itself. It can then be easily stripped off removing any messy caulking overflow.

Do not use silicone. Although it may seal well initially, it is destroyed quickly by the sun and is very difficult to remove. Nothing will adhere to old silicone, not even fresh silicone.

Thank you all for the input. I knew I have to remove the window and I have used the tape in the past. I was told that silicone would not adhere to aluminum.

Back
Top Bottom