Night Noises in Texas!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

Wow, I cannot believe how loud the noises from the bugs are here in San Antonio Texas!  I was told that the noise is coming from "locusts" or "chicadas."  I've heard of them, but now I've really heard of them...LOL  We thought that the neighbor or the wind or birds were making the clicking sound, but were told that it's the bugs in the trees.  Anyone have any locust experiences that they'd like to share?  Thanks

OMG, I can't imagine catching one!  I looked them up online and they're one ugly bug!  They say they shed their bodies, but I haven't seen any bodies yet!  I'm hoping I don't!! LOL ;D

Everything you wanted to know about cicadas and probably will be sorry you asked :D  They are harmless to humans but can be damaging to flora.  They are not the same as locusts.

Oh my gosh, does this bring back memories!  Yes, they do shed their bodies covering and become "shells".  You'll find them everywhere: stuck on trees, in the ground....everywhere.

Marsha~

Well now you piqued my interest...I'm going to start looking for "bug" shells!  Thanks!!  ;D

Around here (SW Missouri) we called them "jar flies" as a kid.  I don't know for sure where the term came from, but I suspect it was from catching them and putting them in a jar.  They sure were fun to drop down the girls blouses.  Harmless, except perhaps for the frantic flailing it caused. ;D

Molaker said:
  They sure were fun to drop down the girls blouses.  Harmless, except perhaps for the frantic flailing it caused. ;D

Oh my gosh! Sure hope you don't intend to run for some political office. They'll drag that up for sure and brand you anti-women. :) :) :)

If they are like the ones we had last year, it will be another 13 years before they come back. I think I'm still a little deft from that. Lasted about 3 weeks. The limbs they cut in the trees to lay eggs are still falling sometimes. They also leave 1/2" holes in the ground where they hatch, some of the dirt under my trees looked like Swiss cheese. At least they don't bite or hurt anything.

Jerry

BruceinFL said:
Oh my gosh! Sure hope you don't intend to run for some political office. They'll drag that up for sure and brand you anti-women. :) :) :)
I think politics and girls are safe from me now.  The girls can all out run me now and I have no political ambitions - little ambition at all, matter of fact. :)

get one of those 4 1/3 side grinders out and startmaking sparks on some metal...they will come to the sound and sparks and if there are any in the area you will have 4 or 5 landing on you very soon. Just reach over and pick them up...ugly but harmless.

There is a wasp or hornet looking insect..black and yellow stripes, a rather large wasp..he (she) is called a cicada killer. Will dig a hole n the ground and lay her eggs on the stung cicadas she harvests from the trees. The there is another insect called a velvet wasp or cow killer that lays her eggs on the eggs of the cicada killer and cicada.. all these bugs are bad ass.

You are supposed to catch one tie a string around it and walk around with it on your shirt.

Don't you know nothin', that's not locusts you catch and tie a string to their leg, that's a June bug.

And yes the locusts are loud here too by the Woodlands.

Beautiful Sound!!!  There are some wonderful sounds when it's really quiet far from the sounds of civilization.  We miss a lot when we're inside with our AC and television.  Far away from a road is the best place to be. :)

BigLarry said:
Beautiful Sound!!!  There are some wonderful sounds when it's really quiet far from the sounds of civilization.  We miss a lot when we're inside with our AC and television.  Far away from a road is the best place to be. :)

The buzz of the cicada's followed by the song of the whip-o-wills at sunset..just add an owl hoot or two in the mix.....sounds like my back yard. :)

I associate the sound of the cicadas with hot weather. We hear them most of the summer in NE Texas when it is hot. I am beginning to hear them now and sure enough, here comes the hot weather. LOL. Cicadas are fun to catch live then give them a gentle squeeze on the sides for an up-close ear piercing noise. It is also fun to stick the dry molted skin onto an unsuspecting victim for a few laughs. Totally harmless bugs........to humans..........in a direct sense, anyway.

BTW, most folks around these parts do refer to them as locusts, but as stated above they are, in fact, not locusts.

Have a place in south east Texas and they get so loud every summer it can keep you up at night.  It is amazing, the noise they make.  It doesn't stop.  Just keeps on going and going.

Roadhappy said:
Have a place in south east Texas and they get so loud every summer it can keep you up at night.  It is amazing, the noise they make.  It doesn't stop.  Just keeps on going and going.

Such a large noise from such a small creature is quite amazing!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom