Night Noises in Texas!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep looking for them, but so far...I haven't seen a one.  I just hear them at night and they sound like there are hundreds of them, if not thousands!!!

A grinder isn't something I actually carry in my coach! LOL  I'm thinking at some point I should see at least one.  I'll just keep looking, but thanks for the suggestion! ;D

darn it Jim...no grinder. ???...how about a cutting torch? They seem to like those also. Hard to spot them in the wild, a very elusive bug that hides it's self well.

Nope sorry...all the tools are back in CA!  Tried to keep the weight down! ???

I was going out to work on stuff, and this Cicada just flew out from under my camper and parked on my fence.  I think he wanted me to share his pictures.  Anyway, enjoy!

Attachments

• cicada.jpg
    cicada.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_1991.JPG
    DSC_1991.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_1992.JPG
    DSC_1992.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_1993.JPG
    DSC_1993.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_1994.JPG
    DSC_1994.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 26
That is one gnarly lookin' bug!  Thanks for the pictures.  I always wondered what something that could make so much noise looked like.

Margi

Thanks for the pictures...except now I know they're ugly!  LOL ;D

we're in DEEP (read almost Mexico) south Texas and we don't mind the sound of the cicadas...drowns out the buzz of the skeeters! :)

This living in Texas has been an experience to say the least!  We will be here until right before the GNR and then back to No. Cal...can't wait!  This humidity is killing me!  Not sure how the Texans handle it! ;D :eek:

4ducksrus said:
This living in Texas has been an experience to say the least!  We will be here until right before the GNR and then back to No. Cal...can't wait!  This humidity is killing me!  Not sure how the Texans handle it! ;D :eek:
We lived in McAllen for several years (worked in Reynosa) and never got used to the heat.  We would run from A/C to A/C.  But, in winter, the sacrifices paid off.  However, Joyce will not go back for even a short visit in winter.  She hated the place.  I'll have to admit, I really missed trees and hills - and even rocks.

Boy is it hot here in San Antonio. We are at Lackland AFB, FAMCAMP right now. The Whipper-o-wills were sure singing last night. I thought I was used to the heat in Florida but the humidity feels worse here.

Yep, we're in San Antonio too..at the Blazing Star.  Working close by building a Data Center with no real power...generators only!  Hard to keep A/C going when you're running on generators.  This heat has been unbearable for me....it is pretty here, but not as pretty as California!

Heh...we were at Lackland just a couple of weeks ago (Memorial Day weekend).  And drove by Blazing Star every day to see my sons and grandkids.  I've always said the heat/humidity feels worse in San Antonio than Houston (where I live now).  And I think the reason is because of a general lack of wind as compared to here.  Also I think the sun blazing on all those rocks out there and the lack of trees of any stature don't help either.  Whatever the reason, real or percieved, it is hotter there than it is here!  But the Cicada's sure love it!

Boy do they!  We took a walk last night about 9:00 around the park, too hot to sleep!  Anyway, the Cicadas were in full form...we've gotten used to them now and will most likely miss them when we return to CA.  Of course, we do have crickets and frogs!

Right now I am pretty well confined to the MH. Saturday we had a tread seperation on a tire on I-12 in LA and it was raining hard. I just happened to have stepped out of the MH onto a Red Ant Hill and received many red ant bites in many places, some unmentionable places. Needless to say, I am not walking far but seem to be getting better today. Hope to get out tomorrow and sight see before we pull out on Thurs.

Good luck on beating this heat even though it does eem to cool down at dusk. Managed to get out yesterday evening for some good barbeque. Of course that is when I aggravated the red ant bites on my heel.

gwcowgill,
Good luck with your bites!  That's been one of my fears while being here...I put out pellets and spray regularly and so far so good.  I've also been watching for scorpions!  We've had 2 come waltzing into our offices on the jobsite!  The mosquito's also seem to be growing in population as the weather warms up.  As much as I really do love the heat (feels good on my bones), these bugs are really bugging me! (pun intended)

Mikie

Thanks for the encouragement. I am hoping to see some sites tomorrow if I can tolerate my shoes. Going out for Thai food tonight as per DW. I remember in 1959 finding out I was allergic to sand fleas here. I also love heat to a point. I learned a long time ago that when the leaves start falli ng off the trees, it is time to follow the birds.

gwcowgill,
If you haven't yet been to it, there's a really cool drive through animal preserve near New Braunsfel.  You don't even have to get out of your car!  The animals come right up to your window and will eat right out of your hands.  They give you one bag of food and you can purchase more if you want.  We bought one extra bag so we could both feed and it was worth it.  I had a zebra eat right out of the bag in my lap!  Was really fun!  We also drove up to Luckenbach on Sunday for lunch.  If you like live country music, there's always someone playing and they have pretty good BBQ and beer for sale.  Music is free!  Since we work all week we've been trying to get out on the weekends and see the sights while we're here.

Got the shoes on this morning so off we go. A friend of ours is doing the driving so I can sit back and enjoy. Thanks for the tips, we are leaving tomorrow heading to Phoenix and then the Grand Canyon.

Back
Top Bottom