Road Life to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadlife

Hi everyone!

I've been reading that some of you are headed to Alaska.  We are too and hope to see you on the road.  We've made it from Alabama up to Cochrane ( a wee bit west of Calgary) where we sit with a broken me.  A sinus cold which came on suddenly and hopefully will depart just as quickly.  I haven't been sick with a cold for years and years.

So I've been surfing the net and re-connected with this site.  I lurked here quite a bit when we first started rv'ing.

We hope to continue our journey north tomorrow.

At DH's insistence, I recently started a blog of our travels for family and friends.  I hope to keep it current with our trek to Alaska.  Maybe we'll intersect at some point.  :)

Road Life to Alaska

ourroadlife.blogspot.com

I read through your blog from the beginning to Chicken Noodle Soup (recipe sounds delicious!) and enjoyed it very much.  Looking forward to reading more as you travel north.

Margi

Chicken Noodle Soup (recipe sounds delicious!)

Wow, it took me 6 trips to buy the ingredients from the store.  Then I pretended I was was a good cook, ala Julia Child. Apron, glass of wine in the hand and proceeded.

Halfway through the process of adding all the ingredients my glass went empty. Then I proceeded to add more ingredients, another glass of wine, then continued stirring. Getting towards the end, golly, the glass was empty again. Oh well...  I'm almost there

Now turn on the heat, wait for things to bubble. My-my it'll take a long time. Ok, one more glass.

I set the timer but forgot when I started it. Bubble..bubble... what time is it? 

The rest is history. I woke up the next morning and had a wonderful cold breakfast.

This story is fiction from a fictional character. ?  ?

Just trying to funny. Have nothing else to do. Excuse my intrusion.

Tom and Margi said:
I read through your blog from the beginning to Chicken Noodle Soup (recipe sounds delicious!) and enjoyed it very much.  Looking forward to reading more as you travel north.

Margi

Carson, I just found this log, and I really enjoyed your pictures, especially the coyote's rump--it brings back memories of so many pictures where we totally missed.  At least you got part of him.  I saved your recipe; it sounds good.  I hope we get a chance to meet you.

Linda

Dean and Linda -

Just saw your trip report!  You are a bit ahead of us, but we might just run into each other.  We plan on being in Alaska til mid-August.  Right now we've made it Dawson Creek.  Had a good nights sleep and will go out exploring later today.  We've seen intermittent rain showers this morning, but nothing to keep us inside.

Any must-sees in Dawson Creek? 

You are way ahead of us.  You will get to see more wildlife before the heat drives them up the mountain.  We are cutting out our extra stops in the Lower 48 to speed up our trip.  We got delayed a little by mechanical issues---we wanted everything to be perfect before we left.

I don't know if you are aware, but we were in Alaska 3 years ago, and we have a log day-by-day from then in RVForum. At the top of each entry, I listed where we were, so it is easy to scroll through to where you are or are going to be.  It might be helpful for you to know what we did and saw, as well as listing where we stayed, amenities, price, and what we thought of each site.  At some places, mile marker (MM) numbers may be helpful to you.

I hope you are feeling well.  We hope to meet you.

Dean & Linda

roadlife said:
Dean and Linda -

Just saw your trip report!  You are a bit ahead of us, but we might just run into each other.  We plan on being in Alaska til mid-August.  Right now we've made it Dawson Creek.  Had a good nights sleep and will go out exploring later today.  We've seen intermittent rain showers this morning, but nothing to keep us inside.

Any must-sees in Dawson Creek? 

Free of charge wx report.....  http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=CAXX0110

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks!  I'll be checking out the links.

Definitely be looking at your past trip.  Thanks Linda.

Roadlife,

There are several of us going to Alaska this summer, we are one of them.  Right now we are in Canyonville, Or and will be heading up to Portland/Seattle then crossing into Canada on June 1.  Around the middle of June, we'll be in Alaska and plan to stay until the end of August/first of September.

There are several logs on Alaska travel in our library.  Dean and Linda's is probably the most recent.  Be sure and read all of them, they are full of all sorts of information.

Marsha~

Wrapping up our visit with daughter and family. We will head out from Grand Junction, CO on June 2, headed north.

See you there!

Carson, that's exactly how I cook it!!!  But we usually do get to eat some the first night.  :)

carson said:
Wow, it took me 6 trips to buy the ingredients from the store.  Then I pretended I was was a good cook, ala Julia Child. Apron, glass of wine in the hand and proceeded.

Halfway through the process of adding all the ingredients my glass went empty. Then I proceeded to add more ingredients, another glass of wine, then continued stirring. Getting towards the end, golly, the glass was empty again. Oh well...  I'm almost there

Now turn on the heat, wait for things to bubble. My-my it'll take a long time. Ok, one more glass.

I set the timer but forgot when I started it. Bubble..bubble... what time is it? 

The rest is history. I woke up the next morning and had a wonderful cold breakfast.

This story is fiction from a fictional character. ?  ?

Just trying to funny. Have nothing else to do. Excuse my intrusion.

At the present time I have some commitments and would not be able to head north until the first of July. If we were to go back to Alaska we would like to stay for at least 10 weeks. How long would it be safe to stay in Alaska before we headed back south? I don't want to be caught by bad weather.

Frank

The rule of thumb on how long to stay in Alaska.

I asked this same question at a rally.  The answer I got was "Don't get there before Memorial Day and don't be there after Labor Day."

We've been off-grid (kinda) for a few days.  We left Fort Nelson and slowly meandered the Alaskan Highway all the way Toad River.  A couple hours drive.  The next day we made it 45 minutes to Muncho Lake and I refused to leave.  It is one of the most beautiful spots I have seen.  No power grid in this area, no wi-fi, no tv.  Just the wild raw beauty of the place.

I captured lots of pics and put them on the blog.

Enjoying keeping up with everyone's trips!

I really enjoy reading your blog, especially love the pictures.  You're bringing back so many good memories as you travel along.  Muncho Lake is indeed one of the world's most beautiful spots.

Margi

Thank you.  ;D

I've never done a blog before so it is kinda new to me.  I really don't know what I am doing but I am very happy that you are enjoying it.

Anna,

I checked out your blog and got even more excited about heading into Alaska.  I also left a comment on your blog!  I've been "tweeking" my website so that I can get it up and running; but it's a slow process.

Keep us posted!

Marsha~

Marsha - I've been keeping up with your trip reports too!  Your Oregon Postings are bringing back memories - DH is from Oregon and we will be headed that way in September.

We are in Kluane Lake this morning, about 15 miles from Destruction Bay and 130 miles from the Alaskan border.  Reports are the road is going to be VERY slow with frost heaves, humps, repaving projects, and things that go bump in the daylight.  ;D  Sounds like it may be a 4-5 hour drive.

I'm a bit trepidatious about going through customs with a freezer full of meat (from the US but unmarked).  We shall see.

Kluane Lake is still mostly frozen and it is a bit cold.  The campground owner said this is quite cold for May, it is usually much warmer.  Besides that she said look out for the bears.  :eek:

We are HERE!!!  Hello Alaska.  A little bit shaken, a little bit stirred, but here we are. ;D

Yipee......I think you are the first forum member to get into Alaska. 

We are in still in the Olympic Peninsula and will cross into Canada the middle of next week.  It is damp and cold here.  We are running the heat pumps constantly except for the middle of the day. Heading into Seattle on the Bainbridge ferry this afternoon for the underground tour and to see Pike's Market.

By chance there is a wooden sail boat regalia this weekend, so lots of beautiful sail boats coming into the harbor.  They have 2 races this afternoon and one tomorrow.  It's fun to watch.

Keep a look out for bears and take pictures.

Marsha~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom