Road Life to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are now in Valdez.  The trip through Thompson Pass was jaw-dropping, then the narrow canyon just big enough to hold the road and a river, towering mountains with waterfalls on each side.  YIKES!!  But beautiful.  The Valdez waterfront is so picturesque, charming.  We go on the glacier cruise today.  Can't wait to see the glaciers calving and the all the sea life, especially the whales.  Yesterday we got to see the eagles come to feed - I was excited and had to get loads of pictures.  LOL.  I think we will have to stay here at least four days.

I love reading your travel blog.  Read on it today that you are headed to Soldatna. 

Be sure to check out the Fred Meyers store in Soldatna.  They carry some merchandise you'll never see in their other locations.  We picked up our razor clamming gear there and hit a minus 5 tide in Ninilchick.  Yummmm.  Also, during a minus tide in Ninilchick, lots of eagles perch on the cliffs ready for clean up duty.  You can boondock at Freddies, but we stayed at a state park closer to the the inlet.

Margi

Marsha/CA said:
Margi, how do you remember all that stuff.  I can't remember where I was a week ago!

Marsha~

Long time ago is easy ... it's what I did yesterday I have trouble with.  ;D  Yummy razor clams are hard to forget.

Margi

I don't think I found enough to pay for a gallon of diesel :)

And  the little gold I found, I had mounted in a locket with  a chain. I'm sure I am upside down on this deal.  But I did gain a new  respect for the early gold miners. Ahhh yes the beauty of RV travel!!

Yep, panning for gold was not as romantic as it sounds ;-(  The sluice thingy was not so bad though.

Margi - We did go to Fred Myers!  Loved it.  And went clamming in Ninilchik!!  We plan on going back there after we leave Homer and get some more.  I made a to-die-for clam chowder but have PLENTY clams left.

Any good razor clam recipes y'all would like to share?????  mmmmmmm..getting hungry ;-)

p.s.  Great Panning Picture!!

We've stayed at Fred Myers a couple times - one of our favorite stops. One time we were there a native with a bow & arrow shot a moose in the parking lot (near the back edge)!  It was perfectly legal - he was entitled to wild game and the bow was legit in the parking area where a gun might not have been.  Alaska ain't Kansas!

Dip the razor clams in flour, then beaten egg with a tiny bit of milk, then seasoned Italian breadcrumbs.  Fry (in pan, not deep fry) in a combination of olive oil and butter.  Do not over cook or they'll be very tough.  My mouth is watering while I'm typing this!  :)

Margi

The next batch of clams gets the Margi Fry Treatment!

We are in a rainy Homer, spent three days on the Spit (Full hook-ups at $60 a night!).  Found the local Elks club in a quaint section of old town Homer on the bay.  It has 8 spots with electric only for $25 a night.  We are Elks, so moved yesterday for a few nights.  Will go exploring after lunch...

roadlife said:
The next batch of clams gets the Margi Fry Treatment!

Turnabout is fair!  ;D  You made me so hungry for clam chowder, we mixed up a huge homemade batch and ate chowder for two days straight in rainy Oregon.  Delicious, but we cheated and used one of those huge tall cans of clams.

I continue to follow your blog and really enjoy reading it.  Thanks so much for taking the time to write it.

Margi

Oh my goodness.  I just realized I left out a crucial part of the razor clam frying recipe.

After you have breaded the clams, and before you fry them, put them in the refrigerator to chill.  They should be in the refrigerator for just the amount of time it takes to drink a glass of wine (or two?).  This is a tradition Tom's brother started when we clammed on Pacific Beach north of Copalis Washington.  Who are we to dare break tradition?  ;D

Margi

Chuck is loving the clams so much we stopped in Kasilof (close to Clam Gulch) to do some clamming when the low tides come back on the first.  I think Margi's recipe will get a workout next week!  Fried clams, fried clam sandwiches yum!

Enoy!  We would love to be there clamming along with you.  Tom's a great digger.  I'm a good clam show pointer-outer.  "There's one, honey!"  We usually fry up enough to have left-overs.  They seldom make it to lunch the next day, but they're tasty for breakfast!

Margi

Margi - WOW they were good!  We do have left-overs that were to be for sandwiches....however freshly caught king salmon changed that menu.  So it's to be fried clam sandwiches for fourth of July lunch! 

Happy Fourth to Everyone from Kasilof Alaska!!!!

MOOSE!!!  Chuck and the pups encountered a moose while out walking.  The moose stalked Chuck... I think the moose was in love, but the moose scared him.  The dogs were unleashed to disencumber everyone in case of attack.  The dogs went on the offensive and chased Mr Moose to the woods, then returned to be re-leashed.  Good doggies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom