Enchanted with Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dean & Linda Stock

May 14-16 Las Vegas, NV

Hello, RVForumers!  We?re off on another adventure to Alaska!  And it looks like we?ll have lots of friends traveling with us on the road this time.  I hope our paths cross often.

We went 3 years ago, and loved it so much we decided to do it again.  We took the Brewer?s advice and our 2008 route is the superior way to travel.  However, we wanted to hit Denali earlier, so we are doing a reverse loop this time.  We will be skipping some activities we enjoyed last time to give us time to add others.  This time there will be more emphasis on relaxing, and we hope to see even more wildlife.  Dean SPLURGED and bought a 400 millimeter DO F-4 IS USM lens from Canon.  It needs to have all those capitals for what it cost, but he is looking forward to posting amazing wildlife pictures.  I won?t have to buy him a Christmas present until he turns 90!  He is grinning from ear to ear!

The first 3 days of this trip were kind of a blur.  It?s important that we have everything in prime shape, and Dean has been working on it for months.  We had several things to still take care of in Vegas, so this was not a place to sightsee this time.

Highlights were the wonderful room at the Palazzo, delicious food at the Grand Lux Cafe?a luxury restaurant chain with reasonable prices located in the Palazzo & Venetian Hotels in Vegas, Chicago, etc.,  (huge portions, which made for yummy leftovers), great service at Las Vegas Freightliner, no added problems with the motorhome, meeting people from all over the world and meeting Wounded Warriors.

Lowlights were 100?+ weather, waiting around for Satellite World to help with our Motosat, Dean calling & they said they?d call back, and they NEVER did, and a fatal accident outside Sam?s Town which really put me into a major funk?something that hasn?t ever happened to me before.  However, each day since has been happier.

We?re glad to embark on our real trip, to talk with friends, and we welcome along those who would like to share the wonders we see (and also give us good advice).

Miles Traveled:  273

Stayed at:  Palazzo Hotel (free with an offer), Sam?s Town (Sherlock, the cat in the RV with AC--$90.72?talk about spoiled!!!)?50 amps, WIFI, FHU, long sites

May 17, 2012 Beaver, Utah

We got a late start, so we were grateful to have traffic-free, carefree Interstate-15 all the way.

Miles Traveled:  222

Stayed at:  Beaver Camperland ($38.50)?50 amps, FHU, no cable, no WIFI?nothing special? while the Passport America camp (Beaver Canyon Campground) in center of town would have been only $11 for 30 amps, FHU  (I got out-voted; Sherlock and Dean for Camperland and its 50 amps).

Hey Dean and Linda,

I am thrilled to be following  your travels again.  I can just see the grin on Dean's face with the new camera!  Photo away!

Betty

Like Betty, I'm glad to see you embark on another adventure and look forward to your reports and photos.

Wow.....
First report excellent... structure and info presented real good. I too will be looking forward to future reports.
Thank you for taking the time.

I'm jealous! We toured Alaska in 2002 and have been wanting to go back for the last 5 years, but events have conspired to prevent that and it doesn't look like we are going to get there, at least not by RV.

The camera lens was a good investment - the photos & video from our trip are still a joy to us! By the way, some things cannot be done justice with stills, e.g. salmon swimming up a stream or a bear "fishing", so I would suggest a video camera as well. They aren't real expensive or bulky anymore.

So happy to hear you're embarking on another trip to Alaska!  I love your travel stories and appreciate so much the time you spend sharing them with us.  Safe travels!

Margi

Oh, goodie!!  I'm so happy to hear you're on your way and know we'll all be enjoying your trip too.  We missed you at Moab, but understand you were anxious to get going on your trip.  Travel safe, be happy, and have a wonderful trip!

ArdraF

May 18, 2012 Salt Lake City, Utah

We got an early start because the Capitol only has tours Monday-Friday.  We arrived at the capitol at 3:30, so we had time to explore.  The first thing we saw was this sign (Picture 1) which shows the difference in attitudes between President Kooky Cleveland and the forward thinking of the Utahns 10 years earlier.  Tributes to women were constant--in the facts given by our guide, in pictures, in a glass case paying tribute to Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

We were the only people on the last tour of the day at 4:00.  Katheryn, yes, with an ?e?, our tour guide, beamed with pride as she told us that we were in for a treat as the National Architects & Builders Association, had voted SLC the 2nd most beautiful capitol, behind Wisconsin.  We have visited many capitols, and we think this one is the lightest and brightest.  See the glass floor which allows the light to travel between floors.  (Picture 2)

The capitol has been recently retrofitted for earthquake stability, and the preservation committee has restored its decor back to its original state where it was possible.  From the beginning, they had electric lights.  Being very practical and conservative, with the German architect and Mormon citizenry, they ordered the materials for building the capitol from CATALOGS and assembled them on-site. 

They had 4 niches for sculptures to illustrate important values, but no money for the sculptures.  And, they don?t buy until they can afford.  Just a few years ago, they did get those sculptures made.  I liked the education sculpture, showing the elder passing wisdom to youth (Picture 3) and the value of education and art.  The open globe being held by the child shows that they are open to new ideas and new people (immigrants).

Katheryn took us into the State Reception Room, (Picture 5) an off-limits area with the feel of old elegance.  There is beautiful 22K gold-leafing in the mural of children playing in the ceiling.

In 1999, there was a rare tornado, and it blew 13 trees down on the capitol?s lawn.  They were used to make the furniture for the governor?s office to symbolize Utah?s spirit and determination, a reminder that something good can come from disaster.

The ceiling of the central lobby had pastel pink and blue trim, which was considered ?really daring?, which is a real hoot when I think about the short short (top and bottom) little black dresses I saw exiting the hotel clubs in Vegas.  The wyvern at the top corner is supposed to keep the legislators and people of Utah safe (Picture 6) .

Utah is named after the Ute Indians and means "top of the mountains".  The Mormons wanted to name it Deseret, but the federal government said they wouldn?t admit them with that name.  There were lots of bees used in decorations.  They symbolize the hard work of the settlers and the people working together for the good of the community (hive).

Utah has the smallest senate (27 senators) (Picture 7) and has 75 representatives (Picture 8).  They claim to be 1 of only 2 states who truly have a balanced budget.  I know that when we were in Wyoming and Colorado, they said they had budget surpluses because of mining revenues.

Because fire was a concern, they used no wood and lots of concrete, steel, and marble.  They have 24 tall 26? tapered marble columns, the tallest 1-piece columns in the world.  And they have carvings at the top!  If they made a mistake, it was scrap (with an "s"!  I can?t imagine carving by hand a 26? tapered column, and I think I?d cry for a year if I screwed it up at the top. (Picture 9) 

Each of the marble wall panels is ?book cut?, something new to us.  They cut the slab of marble out of the formation.  Then they cut it down the middle, so each of the two pieces match.  It is fun to let your imagination go wild.  In this one, I see a space creature.  What do you see? (Picture 10)

As we left, we took a picture of the capitol?s exterior (Picture 11).  We stood right next to a statue of Massasoit, the chief of the Wampanoags.  I taught my students about him  befriending the Pilgrims in 1620.  I wondered why he and his fame were transported across the United States, and the only connection I can find is the artist was a Utahn.  Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks for all the encouraging words from friends.  I loved reading the "replies".

Stayed at Pony Express RV Resort?50 amps, FHU, concrete pads for car & motorhome, grass, $114.76/3 nights with Good Sam

Attachments

• IMG_7557.jpg
    IMG_7557.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7560.jpg
    IMG_7560.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7561.jpg
    IMG_7561.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7562.jpg
    IMG_7562.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7564.jpg
    IMG_7564.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7567.jpg
    IMG_7567.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 17
You have Forum Framily right there in Pony Express RV Resort. Check the message about a mini-rally there.

Wendy

May 19, 2012 Salt Lake City, Utah

Today we returned to Tracy Aviary ($6 for seniors), a small but well-kept site.  We were greeted by two pretty golden-eye ducks (Picture 1).  I enjoyed their neat black-and-white coloring, but why name them for their tiny eyes instead of their whole bodies? 

I love walk-through aviaries because you feel like you are out in nature with the birds.  Dean and I ?oohed? over the colors of the white-faced ibis (Picture 2).  But, once again, with such magnificent coloration, why name them because of their tiny faces.  Dean wants to be anointed King of Bird-Naming.  We lingered to watch the American avocet (picture 3), the American bittern (picture 4), and the stilt (picture 5).  We saw some of these on our last Alaska trip and it was good to activate my memory.

As we exited, this busy golden-eye (picture 6) brought a smile.  Isn?t he proud?  We stopped at the pond to feed the ducks and their ducklings.

Our next stop was a small aviary where a birdkeeper was pushing a mower and clipping grass with scissors on her hands and knees.  I asked her why she didn?t use a weedwhacker, and she said she didn?t want to hurt the birds.  I asked her if the birds ever came near her, and she said, ?No.?  Another puzzle!  But, it demonstrates the good care that I have seen every time we?ve been here.

Watching the birdkeeper were 2 monk parakeets (Picture 7).  They have laid eggs and built a lovely nest, which the saffron finches find to be a nice perch. (Picture 8) The keeper said that both the parakeets may be female.  The red-crested cardinal (Picture 9) teased Dean by perching, and as soon as he put the camera to his eye, he would fly off.  Dean waited patiently for a long time, and finally, these guera cuckoos (Picture 10) did turn around and show their faces.

We had fun at this attraction.  We can see building and improvements since our last visit.  One step at a time?.they pay as they go.  As we left, we stopped and fed the Canadian goslings.

We drove about 10 minutes to the Natural History Museum of Utah ($7 for seniors).  This is a beautiful, modern museum with interesting exhibits, some of which were interactive.    I especially enjoyed their Indian artifacts, some hundreds of years old, others just a few years old. (Picture 11)  Their gems and minerals were outstanding specimens.  They had a wonderful exhibit of items found in dry caves and a great explanation of how carbon-dating works (super new knowledge for me).

Stayed at Pony Express RV Resort?50 amps, FHU, concrete pads for car & motorhome, grass, $114.76/3 nights with Good Sam

Attachments

• IMG_7581.jpg
    IMG_7581.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7584.jpg
    IMG_7584.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7585.jpg
    IMG_7585.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7589.jpg
    IMG_7589.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7593.jpg
    IMG_7593.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7598.jpg
    IMG_7598.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 13
More pics....

Attachments

• IMG_7598.jpg
    IMG_7598.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7605.jpg
    IMG_7605.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7608.jpg
    IMG_7608.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7618.jpg
    IMG_7618.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7617.jpg
    IMG_7617.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7619.jpg
    IMG_7619.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 15
Wendy said:
You have Forum Framily right there in Pony Express RV Resort. Check the message about a mini-rally there.

Wendy

Thanks, Wendy.  We got together for a little while and swapped RV stories.  We always learn when we hear others talk. I learned that RVs sell well in Canada, their economy is thriving, and we only let the Canadians stay here in the US for six months at a time.  Good framily, good times.

May 20, 2012 Salt Lake City, Utah 

We?ve been through SLC several times, but we have never visited the Mormon Temple.  I called them 5 times to ask questions and verify information.  So, today was the day!  We planned to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir?s performance at 9:30 and hear the organ recital at 2:00.  We got up at 6:30, a time so early we had forgotten it existed.  The doors opened at 8:30, and we wanted to be assured of a seat.  Best planned excursion of the trip?..

We were there by 8:00, parked in the parking lot.  Hundreds of people were walking down the street and across the parking lot.  Every single girl and woman was wearing a dress?most of them ankle-length and black.  Every man was wearing a shirt and tie.  Most were wearing suits and white shirts.  Dean was wearing his polo shirt and shorts.  I was wearing black-and-white (so that part fit in well), but just long pants, not a dress.  I?m going to have to check when I get home, but I?m not sure I even own a dress any more.  In one of my calls, I asked about what to wear, and the lady told me that there was no dress code.  Maybe so, but we both felt so uncomfortable that we decided to reschedule our visit.

We drove out to Red Butte Garden, and we were there by 9:00.  What a lovely place!  It was beautifully planted, but in a natural way, not contrived.  There was a feeling of tranquility as we watched several different kinds of butterflies flit from flower to flower.  (Picture 1)  Birds were everywhere, singing their sweet songs.  This quail was on guard on top of a bat box. (Picture 2)  Ten minutes after we arrived, all the stress from our temple fiasco had been replaced with serenity.

The bloodgood Japanese maples (picture 3) were a brilliant purple-red, and as the sun streamed through the leaves, the colors intensified.  We are hoping they can grow in Southern California.  If so, we are planting one.

There were many flowers in bloom, like these Kern?s Pink Japanese Snowballs, (picture 4) but they were not in floral arrangements.  They had one garden that had nothing but fragrant flowers.  Another had a variety of herbs.  Meanwhile, a wedding took place under a wisteria arbor.

There were water features throughout, but this waterfall area (Picture 5) was the most beautiful.  In the stream, we found a moose and her calf, and we thought of RVForumer Marsha.  Yes, I know it is brass.

We will definitely come back here every time we pass through SLC.  It was almost like the experience fed the soul.

Speaking of feeding, we then went to COSTCO, which was pretty standard store.  Then, for the things we can?t buy in bulk, we made a stop at Wal-Mart, which was really strange.  Don?t ever try to boondock here!  All parking is in a dark, covered garage. 

Sorry for the blip with the pictures.  I swear I didn't do a thing differently, and they posted easily this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_7635.jpg
    IMG_7635.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7643.jpg
    IMG_7643.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7645.jpg
    IMG_7645.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7647.jpg
    IMG_7647.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7649.jpg
    IMG_7649.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7650.jpg
    IMG_7650.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 7
      As we get ready to let Donna do her passion of family research, we bid you an adieu from Salt Lake, along with Frank and Cheryl, who also pull out this morning.  Enjoy your travels, keep them safe, and as what seems to have become our theme song from the Bar M, "Until we meet again".

Ed

PS: Thanks Wendy, I had not yet checked Linda's string and didn't realize they we only about 5 coaches away. We hadn't seen them since our mutually rare Quartzsite attendance in 2010.

Linda and Dean,

Do please make it back to the  Tabernacle Choir Rehearsal.  They are wonderful!  We took a bus  trip out of VIP  (KOA) and all of us tourists were dressed  quite casually so I don't think you need a new wardrobe!  I don't  have a dress in motorhome.

Betty

For those who don't wish to sit in the pews, the Tabernacle has a 'viewing room' at the back that allows you to see and hear what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom