Moab Jeepin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KarenS144

I sure wish we could have made the Moab Rally and learned the ropes...errrmmm...trails but we just couldn't make it happen this year.  I've planted the seed for next year though!

We're planning to be in the Moab area in early September and would like to do some of the jeep trails.  We're total NOOBS (and probably boobs too) when it comes to off pavement driving.  We've got the 2nd edition of "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4 Wheel Drive Trails" and have read through it about a dozen times.  Reading isn't doing though!

Our Jeep is a stock '10 Wrangler - manual tranny
DH is wanting to get some kevlar off road tires and skid plates thinking we could do some of the "moderate" trails.  I don't think we're in for wrenching, lifting, jacking, stacking and white knuckling on many of the "Difficult" trails.

Are there other jeep mods we should consider?

I think a 6 month minimum stay in the Moab area would be needed but we're probably only going to be there for about a week.  What are some of the must do trails that aren't rated as Difficult?

DH wants to get into the La Sal Nat Forest area and do some fly fishing.  I think he's got a couple of trails in mind for that.

Better yet, is there anyone planning to be in that area in early Sept that will be driving the trails ( and knows what they're doing)?  ;)

Onion Creek is one of our favorites. You see all the different landscapes of Moab from red rock canyons to pine trees in the La Sals. And we did it last year in our VW :)  Chicken Corners is another favorite. There are so many trails, so little time. Be ready, tho, early September will still be hot in Moab. You might want to plan more trips on trails that go UP where it's cooler.

Enjoy
Wendy

We enjoyed Long Creek Canyon so much we did it twice, the second day we took Gemini Bridges up.  I strongly recommend Long Creek down as it has a narrow switchback that get chewed up, and becomes very difficult on the way up.

ed

KarenS144 said:
DH is wanting to get some kevlar off road tires and skid plates thinking we could do some of the "moderate" trails.  I don't think we're in for wrenching, lifting, jacking, stacking and white knuckling on many of the "Difficult" trails.

Better be careful...Jeep mods are addicting and one thing leads to another.... ;D I put a 4" lift on mine and 33" tires to get it even with the motorhome hitch  ;) ;) (Really to get some ground clearance for the Rubicon) Now I have to have the gearing changed in both differentials to get the power band where it's supposed to be. No point in having 5th gear if you can only use it above 65 mph. Then of course there are the other mods, front and rear bumpers, the rock sliders, the winch, the wheels, the tires.....I should've just bought a tank, but then I don't think they're towable 4 down....No wonder the dw looks at me with the evil eye every time I use that 4-letter word ... "jeep".. :-\

Attachments

• TJ25-30rs.jpg
    TJ25-30rs.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 34
KarenS144 said:
DH is wanting to get some kevlar off road tires and skid plates thinking we could do some of the "moderate" trails.

Just please do read that guide carefully for trail rating. It is not a good idea to do any Moderate trail by yourself (single  vehicle) in my opinion.  We have a 3.5 inch lift. 33" tires,  Skid plates, differential covers, new sway bar.  Jeep ( Just Empty Every Pocket)

The trails mentioned are  wonderful.  You will have a blast and if it is hot, turn on the air conditioning in the  vehicle! Bring lots of water and pack a lunch. 

Betty

I think the Moab book is poorly written, but it's the off road bible. To me, easy, moderate, difficult, can be deceiving. I prefer a numbered trail rating system. Like 1-5 or 1-10.

I would recommend, Adventures Back Country Utah. They have a better trail rating system. Lots of info on things to see while on the trail. Along with history of the area your in, and a ton of other info. It's worth buying if you just use it for reference. Note: it's large and heavy, so it doesn't work well trying to read on a trail. 

http://www.rr4w.com/ click on trail off the top menu, and the trail rating will be on the right. The red rock 4 wheelers work with the city, and maintain most of the trails in Moab. And they also sponsor the Easter Jeep Safari.

If your new to off roading, and are using the Moab book, and you have a stock Jeep, you'll be better off sticking with the easy trails. Till you gain experience. The equipment you use is only as good as it's driver. Not all easy trails are equal. The further down the column the harder the trails get. Chicken Corners (a moderate trail) is a lot rougher than it use to be.

Trail conditions change daily. And areas are being close for revegetation or wilderness. We can't go where we usta, and do what we usta any more. So check with the Rangers for road closures and conditions before hitting the trail.

p.s. spiral bound Utah's Byways is another one of my favorite books. So go knock your socks off, and enjoy the beauty of Moab, and surrounding area.

do an internet search on "Moab Jeep Rallies in September"; there are quite a few events in "early September" that you could check out.  It's gonna be hot, BTW.

Water Dog said:
Better be careful...Jeep mods are addicting and one thing leads to another.... ;D

In our case, meeting a tricked out Rubicon in Moab last year is why we have a newer Wrangler!  DH contracted Jeep Envy so within a month of getting back from our trip, he had the old one sold and the new-to-us Jeep in the garage. He did get the new tires and has rims ordered.  He is still babbling about plates and jacks & such.

Barb, thanks for the info!  We hope to find others to travel with but will certainly do the easy trails first and work our way up to the moderate ones.

Thanks to all for the trail suggestions and travel tips.  Keep 'em coming!

Because you'll be in an RV that means you'll be staying in campgrounds which means you'll be meeting other RVers who also like to go four-wheeling.  Hook up with some of your new friends and go with them on trail rides.  They'll probably teach you a lot and also provide backup in case of emergency.  "Things" sometimes happen in the back country and cell phones often don't work back there so we like to have another set of wheels nearby.  Also take WATER and snacks even if you only think you'll be gone an hour or so.  It gets really hot and dry out there and you don't want to be without sustenance - as a certain couple on the forum discovered during our recent Moab rally.  ;)

ArdraF

All great advice.

A stock Jeep is pretty capable right out of the box. I highly recommend you stick to the easy trails until you develop the skills needed to drive 4x4 trails. By skills, I don't mean the ability to turn the wheel or shift into and out of 4x4. You need to learn the situations that can get you into trouble and how to avoid them. Even with a stock Jeep, you can get in way over your head real quick. Adding lifts, bigger tires, skid plates, winch, lockers, bigger axles, bigger engine, stronger differential, bigger tires, and the list goes on and on and on, makes getting into trouble even easier. Most people can't drive the rig they own, 4wheeling is 90% driver and 10% rig. 

We started with a stock K5 Blazer back in teh 70's while living in Colorado Rockies, dad (retired now) still drives a stock truck, only now its a Jeep.

Best piece of advice given so far, go with at least another Vehicle.

Moab is very popular and there are local clubs. Contact one of them and see if you can tag along a trail ride.
just a little wheeling in Moab.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agt9kOvzE0U

And a little video- wheeling is 90% driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI&feature

Thanks for all the info and advice.  We're still planning the trip and I've been looking for "Adventures Back Country Utah" but it must be out of print.  :(

Hopefully, we'll be able to tag along with someone that is experienced. 

One more thing.

Buy yourself a copy of the "Four wheelers Bible".

Google it. Considered by many as the best 4 wheeling book in print, full of practical advice.

OK RV Park, a Passport America park, is a great park, and the best deal in town. If you don't need a pool.

Try amazon for the book, or try calling the vc in Moab. BN will probably order it for u.

Make the visitor center (vc) your first stop. Ton of info about the area, other than 4 wheel'n.

One can always pick up a ride in the City Market parking lot any day of the week. So make sure you have the Moab bible to check the trail rating, before you go.

Relax, have a good time, and enjoy.

Four wheeling is a great sport for sure! The one biggest safety item to have when wheelien is another four wheeler with you!

Back
Top Bottom