Motorhomes with 22.5" Wheels Have no Spare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenb1023

The deale told me that Motorhomes with the 22.5" Wheel or larger do not come with a spare as they are to heavy.  Is this correct?

Yes and the torque on the wheels is usually 450 lbs....a lot more than we can handle.....Some do carry an extra tire just in case.

kenb1023 said:
.. Is this correct?

Not sure at which model Winnie stops including a spare tire, like Gary says a wheel that size is way too large to handle without the proper equipment (proper equipment means a tire guy in a tire service truck and a credit card  :D.)

Thanks, Never had a rig this ig beofre.  Actualy it's my first A class, heck first motorized RV.  Been RVing in a 5th wheel for 8 years.
Thanks,

Tire technology has improved to the point where carrying a spare simply doesn't make much sense. AAA road service statistics have shown that you are far more likely to need a spare battery than a spare tire, yet how many vehicle comes with a back-up battery?  Most cars have only the small, emergency use only tire, and the only reason that is there is because the buying public remains aghast at the thought of a car with no spare.

The size, weight and cost of an extra 22.5" tire and wheel are simply too much of a price to pay for the remote possibility of needing one. Especially when you need to call a road service to install it anyway, cause the rig doesn't come with a suitable jack or lug wrench either and the whole thing weighs too much for the typical owner to manhandle into place.

Gary RV Roamer said:
and the only reason that is there is because the buying public remains aghast at the thought of a car with no spare.
It is a little ironic, because how many people change their own tire, most call AAA from what I hear. I only recall having one flat tire that I had to pull off to change about 20 years ago. Since then, only slow leaks that could be patched/dealt with w/o being stranded so I think you have a valid point Gary, time to drop the spares off cars.

This should be in the motorhome forum, as it isn't all that dedicated to Winnebago.  That being said, I don't know of any Class A with 22.5 tires that have a spare.

PS.  I just got my tires replaced.....7 years, 35,000 miles.....went with the Michelin XRV's....

One of the flies in the ointment is that the Workhorse gas chassis came with the Michelin 235/80R22.5 tires and they are not a common size. Michelin is the only company that makes them, and no commercial vehicles use them, so few tire shops stock them and even distributors may not have many in stock. Thus you hear stories about 2-3 day delays to get a tire. A changeover to the somewhat more common 245/75R22.5 may be a wise choice for future.

Edit: Corrected size top read 245/75R22.5

Lots of my friends with the 235/80R22.5 Michelins have gone with Hankook or Sumoto (sp?) 245/75R 22.5, which is almost the exact same size as the OEM Michelins.

I carry an unmounted 275 80 22.5 spare it slides in flat in my side box. It takes up a little extra space but in case I need it it beats waiting a few days for an inflated priced one.

This has been very educational, thank you.  I like the idea of carring a spare unmounted tire especially when traveling through Canada to Alaska. 

What is the point of carrying around a $500-1000 tire that in all probability won't ever get used when a road service like Coach Net can tow you to a qualified tire shop in the event a new tire is needed?  Spend that $500+ on something useful or just save it for when you do need a tire.

Ned said:
What is the point of carrying around a $500-1000 tire that in all probability won't ever get used when a road service like Coach Net can tow you to a qualified tire shop in the event a new tire is needed?  Spend that $500+ on something useful or just save it for when you do need a tire.

Good point

Guess nobody minds getting towed off the highway to somewhere you don't want to be waiting 3 days  for a tire to be shipped and then paying a super inflated price for the tire & shipping.  I needed that spare a few years ago it cost me $25.00 for the tire to be mounted by coach net  road service,  in an hour I was on my way.

I figure when I make the Alaska trip again I will get the spare.  For the most part I travel between Albuquerque and Denver and Branson.  There are lots of suppliers of tires between these points.  The dealer replaced two tires on the rig because they had cracks caused by the sun.  The rig spent most of it's time parked withthe passanger side to the the south and everything on that side has sun fade, pealing decals and the cracked side walls.  Driver side looks almost brand new.  I guess the previous owner should have put covers on the tire.  You can bet I am off to get cover this week.

Back
Top Bottom