Do I have enough truck for this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

24mvp

Hi All,
I am a newbie RV'er.
I bought a 24' MVP Vortex. GVWR 9,980. Dry weight 6,520. Hitch weight 1,210.
I want to tow it with a 2010 F-150 supercrew shortbed with the 5.4L engine, 2WD.  It has the factory tow package. Class 4 with the trans cooler and upgraded radiator.  It has a 3.55 limited slip differential. I will use the weight distribution hitch and electronic trailer brakes.
Am I out of line here?
If this truck will tow this setup, should i use tow/haul all the time or just in hilly areas?
I know i should try to tow this dry as it holds 100 gallons of fresh water but i would like to occasionally put two Harley's in the back, approx. 1400 lb.
What do you guys think?

Well, it sounds like you should be okay, but you need to go here and check the specific setup for your truck.  You got most of the details, but left out some info.  http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

I would use tow-haul all the time.  I do with mine (except when I forget to engage it after a stop!). 

Good luck!

That looks like to much trailer for that truck.  you should stay within 80% of your max tow rating for a comfortable ride.  Putting your motorcycles in the back will really put you over the limit if your trailer is 1200 pounds at the tongue.  You may want to consider at least going to a 3/4 ton Truck.

You are on the hairy edge with that trailer if it is fully loaded (and toyhaulers usually are). Per Ford's own Towing Guide, the F150 Supercrew tow capacity for your configurations is either 9700 or 9800 lbs. But that number has to be decreased if you carry even a single passenger in the truck, and also for the weight of any gear in the truck, including the hitch itself. My guess is that you are going to end up slightly over the trucks GCWR (max combined truck + trailer).

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2010/2010_default.asp

I'm going to have to no... Just even guessing at GCW#  I would have say your over... Then with gas power engine it would struggle to pull in any mountain roads. I would have to say upgrade to at least F250 but better yet to F350 for the amount of weight.

Even my 02 Dodge (GVW 8,800#) / 00 Jayco Eagle  (GVW 8,500#) which puts me at 17,300# the truck is rated for (20,000# GCW) which is plenty safe...

But looking at your F150 (~9,800#)  plus 9,980# of trailer that's a total of 19,780 GCW and the truck is only rated for (~15,000#) which puts you over roughly 4,000#

For a safety stand point I would upgrade... As far as the truck doing I'm sure it will but the longevity of the truck will be greatly shorten...

There's a difference between being able to tow it and being comfortable towing it.  My 3/4T truck is rated to tow 10.600#s.  My fifth-wheel weighs 8000# loaded to travel.  I am comfortable towing and stopping the trailer but would not want to go any heavier.  Doesn't mean that the truck wouldn't do it (obviously) but I would be less comfortable than  I am now and that's important to me.  Safety and comfort would not be as great in that rig as in one with a larger truck, at least in in my opinion and experience.

But looking at your F150 (~9,800#)  plus 9,980# of trailer that's a total of 19,780 GCW and the truck is only rated for (~15,000#) which puts you over roughly 4,000#

Few, if any, pick-up trucks can carry their max load (full GVWR) and also pull their max trailer weight (Max Tow) at the same time.  That would mean that GCWR was equal to GVWR + max Tow and that just isn't happening in any production highway vehicle. Such a vehicle could be built, obviously, but the costs and tradeoffs don't make economic sense for a production highway vehicle.  Now freight hauling semi's would be a different story...

I pulled a 6500 lbs TT for years with my K1500 Chev 350 tow package.  I did put vented rotors, air bags and heavy shocks on it with a hitch leveler.  Weight wise it worked great.  Just don't load the trailer down with everything but the kit. sink.  If you don't use it, don't haul it.  Don't haul water either.  Wait until you get close then fill up.  As far as Tow/Haul mode.  Different for gas than for diesel.  I drive an 07 Silv Classic HD 2500 with a Dura now.  Diesels you want to take it out of tow/haul and use manual and drop it down to lower gear in steeper mountains for lower EGT's when climbing.  That alone will drop the EGT's up to 200 degrees.  Tow/haul is good for rolling terrain and flat land stuff.  Gas?  Ford?  I defer to a Ford guy. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom