Show time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Administrator
Following up on the sans voice topic, this evening was the first paid concert for The Delta Strummers, our local ukulele band. I started the afternoon with a 'raspy' throat after spending several hours 'talking' with someone in the neighborhood who'd called and asked for help, and was convinced I wouldn't be able to sing. I still wasn't in good voice during warm-ups immediately prior to the show. The backup plan was for our Music Director, an accomplished singer and musician who was going to accompany me on the uke, to sing in my place.

When it came time for the finale (yours truly singing God Bless America), he introduced me and stuck a mic in my hand. I said something about not having sung in public for several months but I'd give it a try, and put the mic aside. I had no idea what would happen until I opened my mouth for the first note. Suffice to say that the whole room was on their feet singing with me. Several folks strategically placed throughout the room, including in the back, said it was dead on and didn't lack any volume or projection. Whew!

A number of audience members approached us all afterwards to express their joy and appreciation. We had as much fun performing as they had listening.

If this comes across as 'bragging', I apologize, because that is not my intent; I feel blessed to have been given this instrument called a voice, and that it performed flawlessly this evening. No shouting or screaming necessary, just using the head and chest cavities in the way they were designed. I also feel blessed to have a long-time friend/acquaintance who is a very talented musician/singer, music teacher and music director, who has given so much of his time to the musical growth of this group over the last year.

As for the rest of the show, the entire band did well and had a good time. I know I screwed up on a couple of numbers, but nobody in the audience seemed to notice. Our hula dancer, as usual, captivated the audience for the three Hawaiian numbers. Our Music Director's solo was a credible performance of Israel Kamakawiwo 'Ole (IZ)'s version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

We've been approached for more paid concerts at other venues. They should be fun and will help grow the group musically, but won't be done at the expense of the freebie shows we put on for various assisted living places in the surrounding Delta area.

We had a surprise visitor at our Tuesday evening rehearsal; A photo-journalist from a county-wide newspaper showed up, took photos and made an audio recording of a couple of numbers. One of their correspondents was supposed to be in the 'live' audience, but I haven't confirmed that they showed up.

Congratulations.  Your "15 minutes of fame" is really being extended and that's great.

Aye thanks Ned. In my original post I failed to mention several other folks' solos and a duet, all of which were well received. Our Music Director sang a very good version of IZ's Over The Rainbow, something I'll never be able to do, at least not without wearing much tighter pants.

Great to hear that all went well, Tom. There must have been a moment of terror when you reached for that powerful opening note and not sure whether it would "sing" or "croak". God Bless America is not a song you can ease into!

Glad your performance was a big hit! It must have been terrifying not knowing if the voice would work until the first note.

As far as messing up on a couple of numbers, that's what is so great about playing in a group. Only the group members will ever know. Even then it might be only one or two. Works the same with bagpipes.  ;D ;D

Aye Jim, I leaned over to the original founder of the band (sitting next to me) and said "I screwed that one up", and he replied "I noticed"  :-[

BTW the band would really benefit from the addition of a ukin player!

... when you reached for that powerful opening note and not sure whether it would "sing" or "croak".

Actually, if one sings the full version as (re)written by Irving Berlin for Kate Smith, which is what I sang, it begins with 'While the storm clouds gather'; Much easier for most folks to start with. However, that first verse is in a different key from the rest of the song, and is a little too high for comfort (for me) if I'm not in good voice.

Aye, I wasn't sure what would happen, and was scared I'd 'croak'  before ever getting to the second verse that most folks know. When I hit the last note of the first verse (immediately before the key change), I knew it was plain sailing from there.
Edit: Added (parentheses) for clarification.

You need to make a video of one of your singing performances and post it for us to enjoy.

Your beautiful voice is no illusion.  :)  I'm so thankful you didn't suffer permanent damage and are still able to share your gift with others.  A video is a wonderful idea.

Margi

Tom said:
Aye Jim, I leaned over to the original founder of the band (sitting next to me) and said "I screwed that one up", and he replied "I noticed"  :-[

BTW the band would really benefit from the addition of a ukin player!

That would entail a move to CA. Don't think I could afford it! :)

With the formal concert behind us, we're looking forward to an 'open mic.' session. In our case, this will require participants to turn up with copies of the music for the rest of the group, and then to play/sing the song solo. I'm thinking of Londonderry Air, aka Oh Danny Boy.

This song is way above my normal vocal register, but I've been known to sing it in the presence of, and with compliments from, our Music Director. I've been trying to find an appropriate score (there are numerous ones out there).

Interesting uke version of Danny Boy, but methinks that this guy shouldn't sing while he's playing  :eek:  The only rendition I've heard that's worse is one that Johnny Cash recorded. These guys make Elvis' version of this song look good  :(

Jan Stiskala said:
Yep. I would like that Tom.

Sorry Jan that's not going to happen. The original reason for starting this topic was to share the joy of having recovered from the loss of voice, discussed in the linked topic. My focus now is to enhance my playing ability, which has a very long way to go. Playing a stringed instrument and accompanying myself while singing are both new to me, and are somewhat foreign (not natural). When I watch and listen to others in the band, some of whom have played for as much as 60 years, I'm in awe, and can only hope to gain a fraction of their skills.

Meanwhile, discovering the uke has had the added bonus of finding a small instrument that can easily be taken along in the RV, even if I can't play very well.

We're slowly receiving pictures from concert attendees. You can view the pictures here. The first pictures are from someone who attended our warm-ups prior to the concert; She's a PAS picture taker. I'm stage left, the far right in the group picture.

We're growing, both individually and musically, and we're hoping to perform at the El Campanil Thetre some time next year. This is a Vaudeville-era theatre that went through a significant refurb.

Attachments

• Summerset Program Final May 2012-1.pdf
    986.7 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom