Winter Travel to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV Wanderer

Looking for ideas that would help in preparation for an early April trip up the Alaska highway pulling a 5th Wheel.  Concerns are water, campsites, conditions...  Any help appreciated.  thanks.

In April, your biggest problem will be finding open campgrounds.

Ned said:
In April, your biggest problem will be finding open campgrounds.

To which he can add pingos, road heaves and washouts, if spring is early.  If it is late, he can add sub zero temps and winds.  It is not for nothing that the US Army Arctic Testing Center is at Big Delta on the Richardson Hwy /Alcan Hwy junction.

Just as a bit of reference... I lived in Norther British Columbia in Canada for several years.
Man it got cold there, I thought I lived in Alaska.

My location was Fort St James, (a little North of Vanderhoof, BC) and was about 1100 miles south of Fairbanks, AK.

It was located on a large lake (Stuart Lake) and we used to drive our cars on the 50 mile long lake in the winter time.  In that area the ice did not break up until  mid May pretty well every year.

Seems to me April in AK is a no-no.

Neat little distance calculator here>>>> http://www.mapcrow.info/

I hope you're contemplating this trip because you HAVE to and not just because you want an adventure!  If you've not traveled to Alaska before, there are huge distances with nothing but trees and mountains.  In an emergency you might not have help available.  We left San Francisco on May 1st and arrived in Alaska on June 1st and many things were still closed.  By then gas stations were open but most tourist attractions don't open until June 15th or later if it's been a bad winter with a lot of snow.  This is not a trip I'd relish doing in winter.  Do you have a specific time frame in mind so that some of our Alaskans can advise you better?

ArdraF

ArdraF
  We HAVE traveled the Alaska Highway before on pleasure, but we are contemplating an interpretative position at a NWR and we need to be in Homer by April 20.  We carry enough fuel to travel 500 miles and we do know the distances.  We have a generator, Onstar, and have calculated the distances between towns where we can refuel and spend the nights. 
  However, in reading these posts, does NO ONE travel in April?  Are weather reports accurate, such that if a storm were to come, we could plan to spend a few nights in a town?
  We do appreciate the information from folks, as we certainly do not want to be foolish in our plans.

Back
Top Bottom