AC Unit won't come on with generator power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NovaGuy

I'm a newbie and my 1998 Itasca Spirit Air conditioner will not come on after I start the generator. But it will work when using 110V power.  What am I missing? Thanks, Dave

Check the generator breakers....on the generator itself.  One of them might have tripped.

One other idea... Some RV's have and automatic transfer switch which will automatically feed power to the rig when the generator is started with not being hooked up to to campground power.

Other RV's have a socket in the cable storage area where you have to plug in the cord  to feed power to the rig.

Others will comment, I am sure.

Thanks all, but I still have the problem; Mark, I checked the breakers, Carson no sockets that I can find, John while the generator is on all the lights work, but the 12v batteries are engaged, too, so I don't know if the generator is actually producing power.  The generator shuts off if I turn off the 12v aux battery.

NovaGuy said:
.. I don't know if the generator is actually producing power...

Do you have a meter, drop light, portable heater, table lamp, whatever that you can use to determine if you are getting power to the AC outlets in the RV?

John - I have power to the electric outlets in the RV, but the Air Conditioner won't come on unless I'm plugged into 110v - sorry - that's what I meant by "AC". But the previous owner said the Air Conditioner would also work when the generator was running, and it won't.

Does the coach have one a/c or two?  And is it 30A or 50A

A 30A coach with two a/c will typically have a selector switch for front or rear a/c and a switch to allow the generator to power one or the other or both..

Dont know if this is helpful or not, but my 08 Sightseer 35J has two AC units only the rear unit will run off the generator and there is a switch under the frig the must be turned from "landline" to "generator".  The only way you can run both AC's are when you are plugged in .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom