Fogged Window repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pojo

After hours of internet research, I decided to attempt to fix my own window. Can't be too complicated, Right? For those of you who are not up to speed with my situation, I have an 04 Adventurer, and the drivers side fixed window, in front of the drivers door, has moisture between the 2 thermo panes of glass. With the recent warm and humid weather, the condensation has gotten worst, to a point of at least a 1/4 inch of water sloshing around inside of the window. Someone suggested inserting small tropical fish for an interesting interior decor. My concern was next winter when it turns cold, the water will freeze and shatter the glass. So, I had to fix it!

Decided against the Elkhart, In. repair facility for $275. Too far from Florida, New York, or California, to take it to a other advertised window repair facilities.
With screwdriver in hand, I headed to the coach!

Well, in less than 30 minutes I had the window frame removed from the coach, and the dual pane glass removed from the frame. Took it to a local glass shop, and they are making a new  dual pane, thermo glass window pane for $62, and it will be ready tomorrow. $8.95 for a 30' roll of butyl rubber tape. I will reinstall the window this weekend.

This was a very simple DIY project!  The hardest part (still working on it) is removal and cleanup of the old rubber chalk. I will try to post pictures of the reinstall.

Great post!  We have a small fogging issue with the passenger top glass panel, and we certainly don't live near any of these repair places, and I probably will let this window ride for now, but when it comes time to repair, I might do these myself too!

Pics would be great!  hint hint  ;)  My question is, would a local glass repair shop be able to match the current dark tint our Winnie windows have?

Yes, I asked that question when I took the glass into the shop. One thing I forgot to mention. The first glass shop I called said they order the glass and have it assembled and shipped in. Their price was about the same except for additional shipping, and would take up to a week. The price is based on total square feet of glass. In this case: 29 1/4" H, 9" wide at top, 14" wide at the bottom. The glass shop I went with, assembles the thermo pane glass in their shop using a hot air gun and chemicals. I didn't even ask about the procedure, they do it all the time.
The passenger window will be little more challenging. I believe that is a 3 section widow frame including a sliding glass section. But, from what I know now, I believe the glass could have been removed from my frame without removing the frame from the coach! The only thing holding the glass in the frame are: 2 small spacers holding the glass up off the bottom of the frame, and that sticky black chalk. The rubber seal around the outside edge of the glass is just that, a decorative seal, and is easily removed from the outside.

I'm glad I tried instead of spending $275. It was fun except for cleanup of that black sticky stuff!   

I had both the driver's side and passenger's side done at RV Fog Doctor in Searcy, AR. They cut the driver's side out of the butyl caulk, but had to remove the whole window assembly on the passenger side.

I had my large passenger side window repaired at Oklahoma City Glass.  Their organization was poor and when they
finally got my window back together, I noted a large smudge on the inside that they missed. 

My driver's side is fogged and your post has encouraged me to a DIY project.  I may also make this my first post on
How I Did It, "HIDI" when I tackle the repair.  I think I will find the repair parts (butyl tape and dessicant) before I
take it apart.  I suspect they are available from local glass shops. . .

Thanks for the encouragement.

we had our foggy windows in our Holiday Rambler fixed by RV Glass Repair Services in Greensboro NC.  We had the cockpit frame removed and shipped it to them.  They de-fogged the sliding window and fabricated a new insulated glass unit for the stationary one.  Their turnaround was quick and we were very pleased.

This is me book marking and copying all this about fogging windows.  We have a 2000 Pace Arrow with double pane windows and not one of them is ''foggie''.  I have read about the high priced places that can fix the windows as necessary and I was curious as to a method of ''doing it myself'' as I am a big believer in ''the self fix'' when possible.  Anyhow.  Pix would be nice and addresses of these companys that sell or repair double pain windows would be nice .....

Many thanks.....

God bless our vets and troops and all those that sit and wait for them to come home ....cj..

pojo said:
I'm glad I tried instead of spending $275. It was fun except for cleanup of that black sticky stuff! 
The best thing I've found for cleaning up the "black sticky stuff" is more black sticky stuff.  Roll it in a ball and work it a bit then daub it hard against the residual and jerk back.  I think you'll find most of the residual will be removed with a few daubs.

Seajay,

I did mine look for my post here      http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=52686.msg495546#msg495546

captsteve said:
Seajay,

I did mine look for my post here      http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=52686.msg495546#msg495546

very interesting ... just one question ...
What is 5200 sealer and where do I get some please ...
also.... Remind me to give you ten cents the next time I see you please........cj...

Thank a vet for your freedoms ....... Some died to give them to us......think about it ...cj

Edit: Fixed quote.

5200 sealant is made by 3M and available at Home Depot among other places. Note though that it is also a glue and anything stuck together with it will not come apart without destroying the piece. 3M does make 4200 which does not have the adhesive properties of 5200. I have used both on the boat at one point or another, but I was not pleased with 4200 2 years ago when I used it on the trailer as a caulk. It yellowed almost immediately and turned very brittle in a short period. Might have been caused by the sun exposure but I doubt it. Never had that problem on the boat and there is usually little shade on that.

I have a class a with foggy windows and have read several post that indicate DIY is not a hard fix but there are not any listed repair facilities that have been actually used, I am in Louisiana and need something close

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom