EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: "Country Coach"......Thinking of making an offer.  (Read 9254 times)

DoubleCK

• ---
"Country Coach"......Thinking of making an offer.
« on: May 25, 2012, 11:56:09 AM »
We are shopping.  8)

Looking to go Full Time within the next 2 years.  We really like the Country Coach Pushers.  Being of modest means we hope to buy down the "dreaded depreciation" some.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, 40ft, 50K miles, 3 Slides, 400 hp Cat, Tow System, Sat Dish, W/D, Lots of other whistles and bells.  Purported to be in great condition with only marginal tires and in need of a good carpet cleaning.  We like the colors, drive train and the floor plan.

No, we haven't seen it yet in person.  We would arrange to have a professional, neutral inspection before purchase.  However, before we make the trip to look we would like to establish a price that we could live with.

In this economy what number would you say would be a really good buy on this Coach?   :-\
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:59:26 AM by DoubleCK »

billwild

• ---
Re: "Country Coach"......Thinking of making an offer.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:11:56 PM »
Ah! one of my favorite motorhomes, Country Coach. Check out this site,   www.demartinirv.com  They have about 3 in stock on their site. Only one is a 40' er though. However it may help you compare prices. Another good resource could be EBay. I just looked and there are about 28 Country Coach Motorhomes on there of various years. That is 7 years now on the tires on the Country Coach you are looking at. Probably time to replace all of them unless they have been changed out. I just changed out the back 4 tires on our 2005 coach. Cost was $2800 for 4 Michelins just outside of Mesa Arizona. Changed the 2 fronts out last season to Michelins, here in our home town. Many on this site suggest changing out tires after 7 years of service.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:00:09 PM by billwild »

DoubleCK

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
Thanks Bill.  They have some nice units alright.  I like that 40' Alpine.

Would one expect to pay the RV Lot asking price for a for sale by owner?

DoubleCK

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »
The seller has indicated the 4 of the 6 tires are showing some weather checking and probably should be replaced.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »
Definitely have a professional look it over before buying it. And drive it yourself before you buy it. Here is the current NADA value:

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2005/Country-Coach/GENOA-400/3042844/Standard-Equipment
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

DoubleCK

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »
Many Thanks Tom!  :)

Do you think that low retail figure would also represent an average wholesale value?

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »
I have no idea what those figures really mean.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Pierat

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »
We haven't all had a good experience at that dealership. http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=22551.msg249809#msg249809
We Have Hung Up The Keys!
Washington State

Water Dog

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »
The seller has indicated the 4 of the 6 tires are showing some weather checking and probably should be replaced.

Be sure and check the date codes on ALL the tires. If they are over 7 years old, replace them all; regardless of "how they look". Unfortunately, I know first hand the amount of damage that can be done by a blow out due to old tires.
Dennis

"Heart is where the home is"
---------------------------------
Dennis & Vici Bernhard
2000 Bounder
1999 Jeep Wrangler
Home: Sumner, TX

COMer

• ---
  • John & Darla
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »
Wholesale is usually about 25% below retail on used units and higher on new ones.  Usually.
John & Darla
Home near Erie, PA
Spend half the year with Campers on Mission

rls7201

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 07:50:41 PM »
As much as I like CCs, there are two complaints that I constantly hear from CC owners.
1: The passengers window don't open
2: The generator is a Power Tech and is quite noisy compared to an Onan.
If these two items are of no concern to you, go for it.

Richard
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:54:48 PM by rls7201 »
Richard  & Michele Shields
& Eg the Bounder Cat
Gladstone, MO
95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker

Pierat

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 10:04:39 PM »
Ours is an Onan diesel generator, 12,500 w.
We Have Hung Up The Keys!
Washington State

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
On a 2005, I'm betting all tires are original.  Budget to replace all 6 + a spare (if it has one) to be safe.

For motorhome prices, go to www.nadaguides.com and follow the prompts for RV's and your make/model you want to price.  Do not add in any "Options" (uncheck all boxes) when pricing a used motorhome... those are only applicable with new units, although many sellers will check all kinds of boxes to inflate their asking price.  NADA is a guideline, but you shouldn't pay more than the "Low Retail" listing unless the thing is perfect or perfectly fits your needs and budget.  There's a lot of fish in the sea of used motorhomes right now.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »
I don't have a lot of faith in the online NADA value for a high-demand motorhome like a Country Coach. The online NADA guide is based on average depreciation and a nice high end coach like that usually depreciates less than average due to demand. On the other hand, a private sale is usually less than dealer prices.  I suggest checking with local library to see if they have the actual printed NADA RV Guide in their Reference section - many of them do subscribe to the NADA Guides. This fee version has better data than the free online one.

That said, I would still be thinking in terms of making an offer for around the price range shown in the online guide and see how the negotiation goes. You can always raise your offer if the seller balks, but you can't reduce a high offer after he agrees! Remember to factor the cost of 6 new tires into your bid..

Low Retail is NOT wholesale - nowhere near it.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

billwild

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »
As far as for sale by owner on a lot, I am sure now a days there is a fair amount of "wggle room" on all units for sale.

DoubleCK

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 11:51:54 AM »
Thanks for all the good info guys!

The coach we are looking at has an Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel.  The coach is a for sale by owner.  It is not on a lot.

I just got off the phone with the seller.  He indicated that all the tires were not original and that only four were weather checked.  I am thinking a new set of six would be the best way for us to go.  If you were planning to keep this coach for many years, what brand, model would you recommend?  Anyone recommend a good tire dealer in the Phoenix area?  Second thought, perhaps Billings would be a good option due to no Montana sales tax.

DoubleCK

• ---
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »
Just got off the phone with TireRama in Billings.  Six 275/80/22.5 Michelin XZA3 LRH tires....$4023 mounted.

Good Deal?

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 01:03:16 PM »
Have you checked prices on the FMCA Michelin Advantage program?
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
Just got off the phone with TireRama in Billings.  Six 275/80/22.5 Michelin XZA3 LRH tires....$4023 mounted.

Good Deal?

I live in Belgrade and have found TireRama to be a little higher than some of the other shops like Whelan tire or Tire factory.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 06:37:08 PM »
That tire price sounds like the going rate for Michelins, which are exorbitant anyway. If you want Michelin, definitely join the FMCA and use their fleet discount program. Personally, I would be looking at a different brand, e.g. Goodrich (made by Michelin), Continental, Goodyear, etc. The Continental HSR2 is available in that size and an excellent tire.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

cdat

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 08:44:22 AM »
If you are able to get the VIN, you can contact this company.  They were started by some of the original folks at CC.  I have spoken with them, and for $20, they can get you the original "build" sheet.   I have no affiliation with them, and the only contact I have had with them is 2 phone calls for info on a CC I was looking at.  They seem nice, and willing to help.

http://www.countrycoach.com/
John and Patti
US Army (Ret)
91 Newel Bus #255
Lifetime Member DAV
Lifetime Member VFW

DoubleCK

• ---
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 09:58:05 AM »
We are shopping.  8)

Looking to go Full Time within the next 2 years.  We really like the Country Coach Pushers.  Being of modest means we hope to buy down the "dreaded depreciation" some.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, 40ft, 50K miles, 3 Slides, 400 hp Cat, Tow System, Sat Dish, W/D, Lots of other whistles and bells.  Purported to be in great condition with only marginal tires and in need of a good carpet cleaning.  We like the colors, drive train and the floor plan.

No, we haven't seen it yet in person.  We would arrange to have a professional, neutral inspection before purchase.  However, before we make the trip to look we would like to establish a price that we could live with.

In this economy what number would you say would be a really good buy on this Coach?   :-\

All good info, thanks.

I can't make the KBB or NADA work for me.  Can anyone tell me what "trade-in value" would be on this coach?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »
The free online NADA Guide doesn't give trade-in values. Just average and low retail, and those are based on average depreciation rather than market data.

I can't seem to access the NADA site either today - must be having some problems.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 12:13:47 PM »
I can't make the KBB or NADA work for me.  Can anyone tell me what "trade-in value" would be on this coach?

Can't make it work?  KBB isn't really known for RV values, go to www.NADAguides.com ... click on the "RVs" tab at the top (or "RV Values" for the pull-down menu from that same tab) ... click on "Motorhomes" when given the choices of RV types ... and follow the prompts for the make/model/year that you are checking out.  Once again, do NOT select any of the "Options" checkboxes during the pricing process for a used unit.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
Just got off the phone with TireRama in Billings.  Six 275/80/22.5 Michelin XZA3 LRH tires....$4023 mounted.  Good Deal?

$4,000  :o - holy cow!  I think we paid about $450 per tire (mounted) for that exact Michelin tire about two years ago in San Antonio.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

billwild

• ---
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 07:13:26 PM »
John, when I purchased those 4 Michelins this past winter in Arizona, there were two prices increases before I purchased and another increase coming up. The salesman said Michelin is just pricing tires at whatever they want and what the consumers will pay. They sell a very good product but are being very greedy.

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »
John,
Another factor is that the US imposed a 30% Tariff on Chinese tires a couple of years ago; not surprisingly tires promptly went up in cost by about 30%. That is starting to drop due to competition, but they are still high.
I've found that Cooper makes a good tire (I even toured their plant years back) and seems quite reasonably priced. My 19.5's cost me $250 each this spring.
Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
Timing is everything - glad I get new shoes for the coach when I did!  Maybe by the time I need new ones, the prices will be down to reasonable levels.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

DoubleCK

• ---
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
Goodrich?  Good tip!

Whalen Tire, Billings, MT? Another good tip!

Six 275/80/22.5 Goodrich Tires Mounted and balanced.....$2900.

Scott-0168

• ---
  • Married
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »
$4,000  :o - holy cow!  I think we paid about $450 per tire (mounted) for that exact Michelin tire about two years ago in San Antonio.

I paid $350.00 for 2 tires for my daughters Saturn View. Use to be able to get 4 tires for that price!  :o

Scott  :)
Home State- Michigan
Winter home-Arcadia, Florida
Motor Home-2003 Pace Arrow 37A
USN-Vietnam Vet.

Hosted by Over The Network