"Country Coach"......Thinking of making an offer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoubleCK

We are shopping.  8)

Looking to go Full Time within the next 2 years.  We really like the Country Coach Pushers.  Being of modest means we hope to buy down the "dreaded depreciation" some.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, 40ft, 50K miles, 3 Slides, 400 hp Cat, Tow System, Sat Dish, W/D, Lots of other whistles and bells.  Purported to be in great condition with only marginal tires and in need of a good carpet cleaning.  We like the colors, drive train and the floor plan.

No, we haven't seen it yet in person.  We would arrange to have a professional, neutral inspection before purchase.  However, before we make the trip to look we would like to establish a price that we could live with.

In this economy what number would you say would be a really good buy on this Coach?  :-\

Ah! one of my favorite motorhomes, Country Coach. Check out this site,  www.demartinirv.com  They have about 3 in stock on their site. Only one is a 40' er though. However it may help you compare prices. Another good resource could be EBay. I just looked and there are about 28 Country Coach Motorhomes on there of various years. That is 7 years now on the tires on the Country Coach you are looking at. Probably time to replace all of them unless they have been changed out. I just changed out the back 4 tires on our 2005 coach. Cost was $2800 for 4 Michelins just outside of Mesa Arizona. Changed the 2 fronts out last season to Michelins, here in our home town. Many on this site suggest changing out tires after 7 years of service.

Bill

Thanks Bill.  They have some nice units alright.  I like that 40' Alpine.

Would one expect to pay the RV Lot asking price for a for sale by owner?

The seller has indicated the 4 of the 6 tires are showing some weather checking and probably should be replaced.

Definitely have a professional look it over before buying it. And drive it yourself before you buy it. Here is the current NADA value:

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2005/Country-Coach/GENOA-400/3042844/Standard-Equipment

Many Thanks Tom!  :)

Do you think that low retail figure would also represent an average wholesale value?

DoubleCK said:
The seller has indicated the 4 of the 6 tires are showing some weather checking and probably should be replaced.

Be sure and check the date codes on ALL the tires. If they are over 7 years old, replace them all; regardless of "how they look". Unfortunately, I know first hand the amount of damage that can be done by a blow out due to old tires.

Wholesale is usually about 25% below retail on used units and higher on new ones.  Usually.

As much as I like CCs, there are two complaints that I constantly hear from CC owners.
1: The passengers window don't open
2: The generator is a Power Tech and is quite noisy compared to an Onan.
If these two items are of no concern to you, go for it.

Richard

On a 2005, I'm betting all tires are original.  Budget to replace all 6 + a spare (if it has one) to be safe.

For motorhome prices, go to www.nadaguides.com and follow the prompts for RV's and your make/model you want to price.  Do not add in any "Options" (uncheck all boxes) when pricing a used motorhome... those are only applicable with new units, although many sellers will check all kinds of boxes to inflate their asking price.  NADA is a guideline, but you shouldn't pay more than the "Low Retail" listing unless the thing is perfect or perfectly fits your needs and budget.  There's a lot of fish in the sea of used motorhomes right now.

I don't have a lot of faith in the online NADA value for a high-demand motorhome like a Country Coach. The online NADA guide is based on average depreciation and a nice high end coach like that usually depreciates less than average due to demand. On the other hand, a private sale is usually less than dealer prices.  I suggest checking with local library to see if they have the actual printed NADA RV Guide in their Reference section - many of them do subscribe to the NADA Guides. This fee version has better data than the free online one.

That said, I would still be thinking in terms of making an offer for around the price range shown in the online guide and see how the negotiation goes. You can always raise your offer if the seller balks, but you can't reduce a high offer after he agrees! Remember to factor the cost of 6 new tires into your bid..

Low Retail is NOT wholesale - nowhere near it.

As far as for sale by owner on a lot, I am sure now a days there is a fair amount of "wggle room" on all units for sale.

Thanks for all the good info guys!

The coach we are looking at has an Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel.  The coach is a for sale by owner.  It is not on a lot.

I just got off the phone with the seller.  He indicated that all the tires were not original and that only four were weather checked.  I am thinking a new set of six would be the best way for us to go.  If you were planning to keep this coach for many years, what brand, model would you recommend?  Anyone recommend a good tire dealer in the Phoenix area?  Second thought, perhaps Billings would be a good option due to no Montana sales tax.

Just got off the phone with TireRama in Billings.  Six 275/80/22.5 Michelin XZA3 LRH tires....$4023 mounted.

Good Deal?

Have you checked prices on the FMCA Michelin Advantage program?

DoubleCK said:
Just got off the phone with TireRama in Billings.  Six 275/80/22.5 Michelin XZA3 LRH tires....$4023 mounted.

Good Deal?

I live in Belgrade and have found TireRama to be a little higher than some of the other shops like Whelan tire or Tire factory.

That tire price sounds like the going rate for Michelins, which are exorbitant anyway. If you want Michelin, definitely join the FMCA and use their fleet discount program. Personally, I would be looking at a different brand, e.g. Goodrich (made by Michelin), Continental, Goodyear, etc. The Continental HSR2 is available in that size and an excellent tire.

Back
Top Bottom