Wiring toad lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chuck_s99

Hi -- spent the day installing the Blue Ox base plate on my 2012 Wrangler Unlimited.  I've got an Aventa LX Towing Kit BX88229 which includes a wiring/bulb kit BX8869.  Does anyone have any input as to how to install the wiring/bulb kit?  I can figure out how to connect the wires to the plug on the base plate.  I can figure out how to route the wires to the tail lights, I think.

Question is, how do I install the sockets and bulbs in the housings?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Chuck,

Sounds like you have the kit to add extra bulbs to the existing tail lights. You will need to cut a hole in each light assembly to attach the bulbs. I've had that on one vehicle but usually use diodes to utilize the existing light bulbs.

I think finding the proper spot is the most difficult as each tail light assembly can be different.

See my post here  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=13294.0 on installing a baseplate on our Saturn Ion.  It also talks about installing Blue Ox Wiring Kit BX8869.  You have to cut 1" holes in each taillight to place the bulb sockets into.  One piece of advice is to use a plastic hole saw to cut the holes and not a wood hole saw.  Hardware stores have them in that size.  The plastic hole saw worked great.  The bulb sockets fit right in the drilled holes with no problems, as long as you drill the right sized holes.  :p

This all assumes there is room in your tail light fixtures for an additional bulb. That is not always the case.

It's easier to use the existing bulbs with diodes to isolate from the car electrical system, but that's a different wiring kit than the one you bought (the BX8811 light diode kit). Did you get the bulb kit for some particular reason? Or did somebody recommend it to you.

Of well, you have what you have, so the instructions that Rolf gave is your best advice.

Thanks all.
As I was digging through the box, I see that there is also a bag with 4 diodes (2 in, 1 out --kit BX8848)!  So, it appears I have a choice.  That said, the better choice is to do the diodes?  Any input on that install? 

The diodes are easier to install than the bulbs. No drilling holes for sockets. You do have to cut wiring to splice into the diodes. There will be two input connections and one output. I'm sure the instructions will detail the installation.

The diodes are tapped in at the back, near the tail housings?
Thanks much for the guidance.

I found a perfect firewall hole for the 4 wire and have run it loosely from front plug on base plate to the back.  After church, I'll finish it up.  Buggered up one of the pin/clips that hold the plastic door jamb cover... :(  Is there a way to get them out and be able to reuse or are they one use and replace?

It is probably more common to run the wires under the vehicle than through it, but whatever works. Yes, the diodes go near the tail light assembly. One input is the existing car wiring and one the wire from the coach. The output goes to the existing bulb, of course.

Make sure your toad has combination stop and turn lights rather than separate (4 lights rather than 6). If not, you need six wires rather than 4. Or you have to use the extra bulbs instead of the toad's own lights. I think the Wrangler is a 4 light system, though.

I like the bulb and socket tail light wiring kit.  The advantages of using a separate bulb and socket tail light versus diodes for the towed vehicle are the following:
  • No tapping into and no compromising of the towed vehicle's existing wiring
  • Bulb sockets are pre-wired with no splices
  • Simple to install (placement and drilling of holes in the brakelight housing is the hardest part)
  • Uses no diodes (no problems with electrical feedback)
  • Cleaner installation
  • More reliable (less splices to go bad due to moisture and corrosion)
  • Highly recommended for do-it-yourselfers
  • Cheaper to purchase, cheaper to maintain, and cheaper to install (when comparing the Blue Ox BX8869 to the BX8811 and the 9 terminal diode block pack cost)

Make sure your toad has combination stop and turn lights rather than separate (4 lights rather than 6).

My toad has separate stop and turn lights, and I just wired it up like a 4 wire.  The brake light doubles as turn signal when it's hooked up to the motorhome.  When they're apart the turn signals operate normally.  No muss, no fuss.

As far as legality, using the factory supplied brake light has to be at least as good as rigging separate outboard stop/tail lights.

Gary RV Roamer said:
It is probably more common to run the wires under the vehicle than through it, but whatever works. Yes, the diodes go near the tail light assembly. One input is the existing car wiring and one the wire from the coach. The output goes to the existing bulb, of course.

Make sure your toad has combination stop and turn lights rather than separate (4 lights rather than 6). If not, you need six wires rather than 4. Or you have to use the extra bulbs instead of the toad's own lights. I think the Wrangler is a 4 light system, though.

Thanks again -- great info.  I figured I'm installing the InvisiBrake when it arrives and will have to run through the firewall, under drivers sill, etc, so might as well put them all together.

I just had an Invisbrake system installed in our Honda Accord. The installer had to put it in the trunk, which was okay with me.

Back
Top Bottom