Happy 75th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Check out Google's tribute to the 75th birthday of the Golden Gate bridge.

Alas, only visible in the Bay area for now.  It may show up elsewhere later today or tomorrow.  Google did post it to Google+ this morning.

They often do regional or national doodles.  Some of the other country doodles are really well done.  Actually, all of the doodles are well done :)  Did you try the Moog the other day?

You can see all the doodles here.

Thanks for the link. Someone at Google has a lot of time on their hands  ;D

Creating doodles is now the responsibility of a team of talented illustrators (we call them doodlers) and engineers.

walked across it-43 years ago- drove across it last month. lots of activity all around. a true marvel- and only 4+ years to complete. No OSHA, EPA or tree huggers back then.

Do you remember the 50th celebration when they closed the bridge and hoards of people started walking across only to meet in the middle and not be able to move in either direction?  The bridge officials really got concerned when the "hump" in the middle started to flatten.  I'm sure there's a better word than hump, maybe camber?, but you get the idea.  I'll bet they didn't allow that to happen this time!

ArdraF

Ernie Ekberg said:
walked across it-43 years ago- drove across it last month. lots of activity all around. a true marvel- and only 4+ years to complete. No OSHA, EPA or tree huggers back then.

Sailed under it 42 years ago, head winds at 30 knots, outa gas, tact/tact/tact/tact... finally made it around the bend just before dark.  Never forget that day.

Do you remember the 50th celebration when they closed the bridge and hoards of people started walking across only to meet in the middle and not be able to move in either direction?

Yup, I was in the middle of it, having walked on from the Marin County side.  They had busses waiting all the way up the hill to the Waldo tunnel.

There was a flatbed truck with a PA system set up for some planned speeches at midspan, but the crowd got just too big to handle.  Some idiot lady (one of the bigwigs) got on the PA and said the program was cancelled and we all had to get off the bridge right now.  Then she started counting cadence to get the crowd moving.

The crush was so bad that a few yahoos decided the fastest way around the gridlock was to hop the walkway railing and walk along the girder on the other side, holding on to the handrail to keep from falling into the bay.

Meanwhile, I was in the middle of the crowd, hoping the cadence didn't approach the bridge's resonant frequency.  And yes, I could see the roadway had flattened out from where I was standing.    All in all it wasn't a very pleasant experience.

taoshum said:
Sailed under it 42 years ago, head winds at 30 knots, outa gas, tact/tact/tact/tact... finally made it around the bend just before dark.  Never forget that day.

You did check the tides before you tried it, didn't you? I have sailed under it many times. I always planed it so I went out with the out going tide and came back with the incoming tide. The tide through the Golden Gate can run as high as 7.5 knots under the bridge, if I remember correctly.

This photo of the bridge was taken in March of 2005 when we were visiting Tom & Chris. Great guided tour!!! :)

Attachments

• Golden Gate Bridge.jpg
    Golden Gate Bridge.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 16
I remember Mom telling us how she stood at Coit Tower with many other Navy wives waving a white handkerchief as Dad sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge on the USS Ticonderoga headed for the South Pacific during WWII.  I wonder if that is still a Navy tradition?

Margi

Pierat said:
It was pretty cool (and emotional) sailing eastbound under the Golden Gate on a troopship, all those years ago.

AMEN!!!  I wasn't sure I still had a girlfriend waiting in MT or not as I had not had any mail from her for over 3 months.  10 days later I was there, I did, and we were married about 2 months later.  The mail issue resolved it self as letters started coming back to her address as undeliverable.  The Army had lost track of me due to many moves.

Chet18013 said:
You did check the tides before you tried it, didn't you? I have sailed under it many times. I always planed it so I went out with the out going tide and came back with the incoming tide. The tide through the Golden Gate can run as high as 7.5 knots under the bridge, if I remember correctly.

I was not in "command"... so I assume the cap't knew about the tides even though he didn't do too well on the fuel management.  There's a similar place near Anacortes that has a huge tidal current.

Re: Happy 75th Golden Gate Bridge

If you did not see it here it is.

http://www.google.com/logos/2012/Golden_Gate_Bridge_75th_Anniversary-2012-hp.jpg

Attachments

• Golden_Gate_Bridge_75th_AnniversaryDoodle.jpg
    Golden_Gate_Bridge_75th_AnniversaryDoodle.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 9
That's really neat!  The little boat that could is headed straight for the Cabbage Patch!

Margi

Back
Top Bottom