2001 FLEETWOOD NIAGARA POP UP CAMPER 12 ELECTRICAL NO WORKY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cenkey

Hello,

My name is Curtis and I just bought a use 2001 fleetwood niagara pop camper and the 12volt electrical system does not work.

I checked the power converter and the fuses are good, the 110v AC works when plugged in from a proper AC outlet, the battery is dead so I jumped the battery from my truck and still nothing DC operates, I even looked behind the converter and no wires broken or disconnected.

Do I have a bad converter or is there some DC shutoff switch that I cannot locate.

Desperate first time camper ower,
Curtis Enkey, Pleasant Hill MO

Welcome to  the RV Forum, Curtis. Sorry to hear you are having a problem.

Check the back of the converter for a pair of fuses. They are there to protect from an inadvertent reverse polarization (battery plus & minus reversed) and will allow no power to pass if they are blown.

The other thing might be is that if the installed batteries are really that bad, it would be better to remove them from the circuit than to simply jump them. They will only pull down the jumper battery and you may get fooled by that!!

Can't help with the location of a possible cutoff switch though, the only tent type trailer I ever had was equipped with NO power!!

I have owned two pop-ups.  Replace the battery and check for a battery disconnect switch.  See if your 12V system works with a new battery.  Before you plug it in to 110V, check behind the converter/charger for fuses that may be blown or for a switch that turns it off and on.  Plug it in to 110V.  You will hear a hum from the converter/charger if it is working.  Use a voltmeter to check the voltage to and from the converter/charger.

We bought our first pop up earlier this year; 2001 Coleman Sedona.  Had similar electrical problems.  I did not feel like replacing the fuses soldered on the board, so I bought a new replacement.  It was inexpensive and easy to install. It worked out for the best because when I removed the original I found it had been hit by lightning.  Surprised anything still worked.
The new was better because it included a main circuit breaker as opposed to the original which had a lug connection directly to the power wire.

Back
Top Bottom