Glue for Weather stripping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TNROY

I have just recently purchased a 2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L. So far we a very pleased with our "new to us" motor home. Having come from a '98 Brave 32WQ with no slides, this one is a virtual palace for us.

I have recently noticed that there are a couple of areas where the weather stripping under the storage compartment doors is coming loose. I have observed a small amount of rust in these areas. I intend to clean off the rust and need to re-glue the weather stripping in place. I am looking for suggestions on what glue to use to resecure the weather stripping. Any help is very welcomed.

I have had good luck with the old yellow weatherstripping glue you can find at auto supply stores. It has been around for at least fifty years so it must work pretty well.

My plumbing bay sheet steel in/around the seal rusted - I pulled the old seal off, bead blasted the rust on the frame, primed, painted.  I replaced the seal (gasket) with new.  The old seal came off in pieces - there was no way to reuse it.  The new seal has adhesive on it, you pull the backer tape and stick it down.

It is a very effective repair and still rust-free.  The secret is getting rid of all of the rust (several methods of doing this) before priming.

The industry standard product is 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive, typically yellow but available in black too. Permetex makes one too, but 3Misthe gold standard.  You can find it at auto parts stores like Advance and O'Reilly or Napa.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Weatherstripping+Adhesive/N0399/C0171.oap

I got the 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Now I need it to cool off a bit and I'll get to work cleaning off the rust. Temps are currently just a bit over 90 with a storm front on the way for later this evening. Tomorrow the weather should be down in mid 70's and clear. The rubber is still nice and plyable, shouldn't be a problem glueing it back down.

On our 08 35L the only compartment with glued on rubber is the water bay.  All the other compartments use a friction fit rubber.  I had the rust on the metal around the compartment doors.  On the drivers side about 85% of the paint scraped off very easy.  Winnebago ended up removing all the rust, treating the metal and then painting.  So far the repaint has held up well.  But I noticed a few weeks ago the paint on the passenger side was flaking off and rust under it.  So I just finished up redoing that side.   

On our 2007 both the water and electrical bay are glued on. I got the 3M weatherstripping adhesive (black) and have secured both. Wow, that stuff really sticks!

I used the black stuf that automotive window installers use.  I believe it is made by 3m. 

It is a bit runny at first but dries and holds very well.  Find it at most auto parts stores.  Cost a bit more but no complaints so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom