UK citizen RVing in USA and beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dominic

Hi all - I have a few questions about the above topic and was looking for up to date answers (2012).

We are a family of 5 (including 3 young children) and we wish to travel around the USA, Canada, and possibly Central America in an RV that we will buy on arrival in the USA (hopefully Florida). We would like to spend a good amount of time doing this (at least 1 year, but probably a fair bit more) and would like to know:

1. The best type of vehicle to choose considering that we may wish to import the vehicle to the UK/Europe - therefore which vehicles (make/model) require the least conversion on return (and what is the usual cost of conversion for EU travel)? For which vehicles are spares available in the UK/Europe? Our budget would probably be up to around $75,000 and I am drawn to the large diesel pushers (though I realise the expense of running one of these in Europe would probably be eye-watering!

2. How is the issue of insuring a vehicle handled in the US these days? I have read this can be a problem for foreigners, but not an insurmountable one, I assume? I have a full PSV lience in the UK which may help.....?

Many thanks for any answers!

Dominic

Hi Dominic and welcome to The RV Forum.

We would like to spend a good amount of time doing this (at least 1 year, but probably a fair bit more) ...

Be aware that you'll only be allowed to stay in the US for 6 months at a time with a B1 or B2 visa, although there are some ways to extend that, and these are discussed in various topics on this message board. Most folks visit Canada or Mexico for a while, then re-enter the US and are granted a new 6 months stay.

Be sure to check out the article in our forum library entitled Guide for buying an RV in the USA. There are also numerous other articles in our library that will help with your purchase.

How is the issue of insuring a vehicle handled in the US these days? I have read this can be a problem for foreigners, but not an insurmountable one, I assume?

The main issue is that, because you don't have a  driving record in the US, your premium will receive a significant loading (UK insurance term), probably 100%.

I have a full PSV lience in the UK which may help.....?

Not really, because most RVs can be driven using a car license here, although a few states require an additional test for diesel coaches.

You are going to find that there is almost no body in the US that is knowledgeable of European import laws regarding vehicles.  Perhaps some the special import/exporter that specialize in high cost exotics might but even that is doubtful.

I lived in Europe for 12 years and imported 3 different vehicles. In all cases I had to sign an agreement before I could take delivery that I would not sell it in Europe and that I would ship it back to the US.

I would plan on selling any vehicle that you buy here before returning to the UK.

I don't remember if the UK uses 220v or 120 but if it is 220 almost nothing in the RV will work at that voltage.

If you really intend to travel to Central America you are going to need something much smaller than a DP.

In all honesty most Americans would not consider driving to Central America.  Mexico excluded.  But I personally refuse to set foot in Mexico and I can see it from my front door.

Have you read this?  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=50179.0

We have several articles in our forum library written by Brits who imported RVs into the UK (click the Library button in the toolbar above). You'll also find several relevant topics on this message board. However, you won't find much written in 2012 on the subject, and you'll need to do some research following the links provided to get the latest information.

UK 'mains' voltage was 240V for the 32 years we lived there. Most Brits buy a transformer (or have one installed) to be able to use most of the US appliances in the RV in the UK. This also is discussed in library articles and prior topics here. Expect to have to replace the televisions, because the US TV system is not compatible with the UK TV system.

Hi Dominic,

We are UK residents and are currently running our second RV and car.  We've been travelling the US for the past 5 years with our trips covering 1 month to 6 months.

We had to register a Montana LLC to be able to get insurance and register the vehicles.  Our insurance is more expensive than that for residents but we just have to accept that and get on with it!.

I did a lot of research into bringing our Rv back to the UK but mine (Tiffin Phaeton 40) is about 2" too wide and therefore cannot be imported.    Also...at 7 miles to the gallon......the cost of running it in the UK/Europe would be horrendous.  That's a decision you would have to make.

Good luck with your endeavours and let me know If i can help you any more.

Regards
David

It doesn't appear that Dominic came back to read any of the replies.

Back
Top Bottom