'89 Warrior TH400 transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idcowpoke

Hi everyone,  :)
I'm a new member and new RV owner. I just purchased a 1989 Winnebago Warrior 23', 48k, with a chevy454 and a 3-speed TH 400 transmission. The RV had been sitting for 2 years, but other than that has been taken good care of. When driving it home, I noticed that upon acceleration it will shift through all 3 gears smoothly, with no slipping, but no overdrive will engage. It will top out at 55mph, with the engine screaming, so I had to nurse it home at 45 mph. I am just trying to figure out how to troubleshoot this particular problem, to narrow it down before I go to a tranny-shop. (...which by my experience will just tell me, that I need a rebuild,....$$ :eek:$$......), which I don't think I do.
Transmission fluid & level looks ok, healthy clear red color ( last transmission service was 2009/ only ran it 85 miles afterwards) . Is there maybe some wiring or vaccum lines that I could check? Does it even have an overdrive? God I hope I'm not looking at a new tranny..... :-\
Thank you very much in advance for any input ......
Took me a while to convince my wife into the RV, so a broken tranny would be considered a reason for divorce...
Thanks people....

The turbo 400 does not have overdrive, so if it's shifting thru 3 gears that's all there is. I hope this helps.

drslmr is right, no overdrive but if you were "topped out" at 55 that sounds like it was only in second gear. Does it have a tach what were the rpm's? Does the gear shift lever have any play where it might have said it was in drive but was actually in second. I know you said you felt it shift through 3 gears but my dads 1986 Winebago 34' with the same drive train would run 70-75mph  at around 3600 rpm all day long. Was the fan clutch locked up making it sound like the engine was reving higher than normal.

First off,..thank you everyone for taking your time to answer. I think I am not used to having the engine next to me, I usually drive a late model dodge ram and I can barely hear the motor idle. Now I got a 454 roaring right next to me,...let's just say, I don't think I am going to have any conversation with my wife while driving @ higher speeds. I didn't make myself clear, with it topping out @ 55 mph. It will do 65 easy, it just sounds like banshee @ 55mph. So my foot goes off the throttle instinctively
My brother also sugges ted the fan clutch, so I am going to figure it out in the morning. Any ideas on how to check a seized fan clutch??  Thanks again for the input....

Cheers!...:)

Make sure the keys to the ignition are in YOUR pocket and for liability purposes I guess I'll add "disconnect the NEG battery cable". With the engine cool and OFF, not running, try to turn the radiator fan by hand. It should turn with easy to moderate force. If it doesn't then the clutch is locked up, not a problem for the engine since it's getting plenty of cooling air but it robs a lot of power and sounds like a jet engine. It's not that hard of a job, the hardest part will probably be getting to it, maybe from underneath. I looked a severe duty fan clutch up for an 88' K3500 pickup and it was $60.  Maybe some sound proof material would be a good idea for the under side of the engine cover.

Back
Top Bottom