towing vehicle on tow dolly facing backwards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrull

I have been towing a rear drive vehicle with vehicle facing backward for years. Today, whilw ay filling station I was told that person I was talking to had got fined for towing vehicle backward. I have never heard of this and have never incountered  a problem. This happened in central Indiana. Any comments?

Tow trucks do it all the time. Maybe the issue was relying on the steering lock to keep things in line.

Haven't ever heard of it, but that doesn't mean that some jurisdiction doesn't have a law against it. Would need to know much more about the supposed offense and where it took place. For example, if he did not have a set of tail lights and turn signals visible while towing backward, he would indeed likely get ticketed, but that's not because backward towing is illegal.

The only thing I can think of other than what has already been mentioned, is that many states have you fix a yearly "tag" to the rear license plate which couldn't be seen if towing rear first....but I would think that would be a really lame reason to pull someone over.

I suspect the person who got fined did not have tow lights installed on the FRONT of his backwards towed vehicle.. And that was what the ticket was for.

Also,, There are cops who "invent laws" from time to time.. I have one who wrote me a couple of tickets (Total 3 charges) which the judge dismissed.. I will give you the list.

1: Disregard Traffic Control Device (Sign) which had not yet beein installed and thus did not exist (That was the first, he's now pissed at me for getting it dismissed)

2: Failure to signal a turn.. Who turned, I continued in my lane on a one lane in each direction road.

2: Fail to stop.. Well, on the road it was one stop sign, in court a different one (And by now his credability is in question) plus not only did I stop but I let him go first because an illegally parked car would have made it necessary for him to back up had I exerted my right of way (I got to the interseciton first).

If I"m any judge of body language.. Judge reamed him out good after I left.

Thanks for input. I suspect that there was something else wrong. Maybe he was towing backward at nite and had headlights on on towed vehicle. I can see where that would be a problem! Headlights that "appear" to be coming at you in your lane!

Back
Top Bottom