Canadian wanting to buy RV in USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SunnySide

We would like to buy a new RV in the US.? We are Canadians and realize we paid too much for our 2005 Bounder here in Canada.? We also do not have the selection available in the USA.
Has anyone experience doing this.?
The Government of Canada has a list of RV's and cars that are permitted to be brought into Canada, but does anyone have experience actually bringing one across the border.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone who has done this.
Cheers,
Sunny

[edit]formatting[/edit]

I believe there has been a thread started on this subject and at least it was talked about.  The forum officials will jump in here and straighten it out.,

Thanks Shane I hadn't seen the topic, I am new to the site and had not had a chance to go through everything.
Sunny

SunnySide,

Take a look at Monaco coaches.  I have been told they have an option where they install, during manufacturing, any required modifications to meet all the Canadian motor vehicle rules whenever they differ from those here in the US.

JerryF

Hi, As a Canadian, I have brought two RVs into Canada from the US. The first one, I traded an old 1986 Class C against a nice 1997 Class A. The first thing is that you have to check that the model you are buying is accepted by the Canadian Govt. The C govt maintains a website that tells you which models are acceptable. If it ain't, don't buy it. But most major manufacturers are accepted.
Secondly, you have to deal with US repeat US customs as you move OUT of the US.  You have to send the originals of the bill of sale, the registration, and a third doc that I can't remember right now, to US customs 72 hours before you get there. US Customs take this very seriously. Repeat SERIOUSLY. I don't understand why. Perhaps in case the vehicle is stolen or used in a robbery. Go figure.
Thirdly, there is the Canadian tax to pay. You know the drill, 14%. But there is no problem about this, simply pay the Federal tax at the border with a credit card, and when you register within a Province, pay the Provincial tax.
Once you are inside Canada, you have to have the vehicle checked by the Govt for compliance with Canadian laws---and this is done by contract with Canadian Tire. This a trivial matter so long as you have previously checked that the RV is accepted by the Canadian Govt.  Good old Canadian Tire checks that the seatbelts are three point, and that there are Km markings on the speedo, and that there are daylight running headlights. That's it.
The second time I was more savvy. I sold the Class A to a private buyer through a friendly Second Hand Car dealer, and then sped down (within 30 days) to the Us to buy an RV that I already knew. I did the same stuff importing at the US side, but at the Canadian side it was imported by the dealer, and he sold it to me LESS THE Tax on the TRADE-IN, which saved me the tax on the trade-in.
It was a hassle, but in the end it saved me just less than $5000C.
All this is available on the Internet.
I will take questions at [email protected] but I take no responsibility, although it is all TOTALLY legal.
rankjo

Ditto to what Ranko said, we too brought back a Class A, but did it through a dealer friend of mine.  Any licensed dealer, or likely HST registrant, can import through the border and only pay the GST once the unit is retailed.  So in our case, he used a broker to stickhandle the paperwork at the border, both US & Cdn customs, then sold the rig to me, and I paid him the taxes (PST &GST) when he registered the unit in our name.  We did pay him about $500 for his trouble, but saved thousands on the unit.
  As for the Cdn Tire inspection, it was a joke.  Checked the daytime running lights we had installed by the Freightliner dealer, looked at the odometer to see if it had Kms, and that was it, never looked at the seatbelts, which by the way are lap only, to our chagrin.

Back
Top Bottom