Internet usage in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
OK, I just got off the phone with Verizon and learned a bunch about Canada travel and Cell and Air card use.  WOW! As far as cell, I can switch my voice plan to a "Nationwide and Canada" plan for $90 a month. It would give me 700 minutes of talk time between the DW and my phone, and unlimited texting. 

But internet usage is a whole different story. The only plan they have is a $25 a month for one MEG of data, and each additional meg is $2.05! That come out to about $2000 for a GIG of data!  There advice is "don't use your data card in Canada". Boy, no kidding. 

So here is the question. Is it possible to subscribe to a Canadian carrier for internet service while in Canada? I have heard that Canadian carriers are pretty expensive, but it would have to be less than $2000 a gig, wouldn't it? 

I  don't know, what do you guys think?  Any Canadian's out there with any advice??

Do you have a Kindle Keyboard 3G? If you do download Kinstant - http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/12/kinstant-makes-kindle-browser-useful-at-last/. With the Kindle experimental browser you get free internet on the Rogers system. Kinstant makes it a little easier to use.

Other than that there are a lot of places to get free internet - visitor centers , coffee shops and Staples. Some of the visitors centers have to give you the key. They want you to sign the guestbook. :)

If this is for travel in BC or the Yukon if you're not in a city chances are there will be no phone or internet service anyway so you can just wait until you get to a city and find some WiFi.

After a little internet investigation, this is what I found out.  I can go to one of the Cellular providers in Canada, I selected Telus as they cover the most area in BC and the Yukon. I buy a mobile internet stick and pay full price, about $150. Then call up Telus and start a month to month plan. I turn it on when I need it, and turn it off when I am in Alaska or in the lower 48. The internet plans start at $35 for 1 Gig and run up to about $90 for 9 Gig.

And a bonus, Telus uses CDMA technology, as does Verizon, so all of our current equipment should work fine.

This sounds pretty doable for us, and I can probably sell the stick later to someone else that is going to travel through Canada. 

Not a bad plan!

Interesting ... I am in the same situation only reverse. I live in Canada and do a fair bit of travel in the US. I currently have two cell phones. My Canadian phone is the iPhone 4s with a data pack of 6 GIG for use in Canada. I wouldn't dare use it in the US because it would cost an arm and leg for roaming costs.

For travelling in the US I have an ATT Pay-as-you-Go basic cell phone. To keep it current it costs me $25.00 minimum every 3 months. For Internet Access I have a Verizon Connect 5. I can use both my laptop and the iPhone to access the Internet with that. I am currently paying $50.00 per month for 5 or 6 GIG of data but will be switching to Sprint ... I believe ... they apparently have a Pay-as-you-Go Internet plan with no expiry or minimum etc. The Internet device costs $85.00 I understand.

Too bad that one of the phone companies can't come up with a decent plan that was good for both Canada and US for both phone and Internet data. It's a pain having to have all these separate devices to "stay connected" when travelling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom