Norcold N811RT Thermistor Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foto-n-T

I'm going to put this out there for informational purposes only. As far as I know at this time the problem will be solved as soon as I install a new thermistor.

Several weeks ago on the Coastal Bend of Texas we started experiencing freeze up on the fins in the refridgerator.  I pretty much chalked this up to the 90+ humidity and the fact that the A/C just couldn't get it all out of the air.  Also I suspected that the door seal maybe wasn't doing its job quite as well as it might.

So a few days ago we transit to Arizona from Texas, basically out of the sauna and into the convection oven.  The night before last the kids and thier accompanying tribes were here at the RV park for dinner, swimming and adult beverages.  At one point in time I grabbed a beer out of the house fridge instead of my beer fridge in the garage and noticed that it wasn't too cold, oh well, I didn't think too much about it other than on subsequent beers they would be gotten out of the garage fridge which I keep at the appropriate temperature for high quality diet beer.

Yesterday morning I noticed that the green light on the fridge was blinking once every three seconds or so.  Upon opening the door I found that it wasn't too cold and that "Houston we have a problem".  I headed down to the local RV repair shop to pick their brains and of course was told to bring the unit in, not something that is realistic given that it's our home away from home and it's 110 degrees out.  My dear wife suggests that we read the directions for the fridge, (where do they come up with these ideas anyway). Lo and behold in the book for the fridge basically the only fault code that they give is the green light blinking once every three seconds and it means that the thermistor has failed. 

My guess is that in Texas it had failed in the closed position and kept the fridge running night and day.  Since we don't run the fridge while on the road it apparently changed from failing closed to failing open sometime between Texas and here.  Currently with the thermistor failed in the open position the fridge is running on back-up.  What I have learned from a knowledgeable RV tech here is that it means that the fridge runs for a little while then shuts off, then runs again for a little while and shuts off, ad infinum.

So...todays project is to try and hunt down the replacement for the offending thermistor before things spoil or worse yet, my back-up beer gets skunky.

Back
Top Bottom