Hankook (Korean) Vs. Sailun (chinese) tire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frederick

A trusted tire dealer, the owner, said that the chinese tire (Sailun) was
a very good tire.  $1496 6ea. out the door.  The Hancooks were $2169 out the door.

He said that the makes of Sailun have the up to date factorys.

Any experience with any of them?  Perhaps the Hankooks would ride smother,
don't know.  I only drive 100 to 400 mile around trip about 6 times a year and
am somewhat crunched for the bucks.

Thanks a million in advance. :)

PS;  I guess I should take the Flair off my ID and add the 02 Winnebago Itaska on.

There are quite a few posts about Hankook tires.  None of them bad that I have read.  Hankook is an old Korean tire maker and their reputation is pretty good.  I would not hesitate to buy them.  Know nothing about the other brand.

Personally, I agree with catblaster. The Hankooks on the other hand, I have owned and they are deffinitely good tires

The Chinese tires are a gamble. Their factories are fine, but their record on quality control is not impressive. There is likely a reason why those tires are much cheaper.

The Hankooks, on the other hand, are a worldwide brand with a well-established track record for quality  goods.

But the $670 difference is a lot of money and I can see the temptation.  You will have to make the call yourself.

I have two new Sailun tires (245 70R 19.5) on the right rear.  Had an inside tire (Michelin with 4,000 miles) blow out on a five lane interstate bypass just south of Dallas.  Wild ride but I got it stopped.  It took out the outside tire too.  After 90 minutes I finally got a repair guy who only had two used tires.  I continued to Illinois and repalced them with the Sailuns (I was in the boon docks in Southern Illinois and had no choice)  I returned to So. Texas with no problem with the tires.  I had never heard of Sailun tires before and had to pay $700 to replace them.  Not sure what I will do now...they have 1,200 miles on them....I guess I will take a chance.

Another question.  The man who changed my tires in Dallas said the blowout was due to my valve extension to air my inside tire.  He took it off my other side and aligned the hub cap so I can air up my inside tire...not sure how to do this with a cap on the valve stem.  Your thoughts on these extensions, please.  Millions of 18 wheelers have to be using something that is okay.  ???  Thanks in advance.

George Lewis said:
I have two new Sailun tires (245 70R 19.5) on the right rear.  Had an inside tire (Michelin with 4,000 miles) blow out on a five lane interstate bypass just south of Dallas.  Wild ride but I got it stopped.  It took out the outside tire too.  After 90 minutes I finally got a repair guy who only had two used tires.  I continued to Illinois and repalced them with the Sailuns (I was in the boon docks in Southern Illinois and had no choice)  I returned to So. Texas with no problem with the tires.  I had never heard of Sailun tires before and had to pay $700 to replace them.  Not sure what I will do now...they have 1,200 miles on them....I guess I will take a chance.

Another question.  The man who changed my tires in Dallas said the blowout was due to my valve extension to air my inside tire.  He took it off my other side and aligned the hub cap so I can air up my inside tire...not sure how to do this with a cap on the valve stem.  Your thoughts on these extensions, please.  Millions of 18 wheelers have to be using something that is okay.  ???  Thanks in advance.

I have Hankook tires and really like them. 18 wheelers use a dual foot air chuck and gauge to check

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-MP3231-Dual-Chuck/dp/B000BOA0HI

Extensions are a continuous problem. A solution is Dually Valve Stems

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796/dually-valve-kits

John

Valeve extesnions, duals.  For about $ 140 bucks,  Les Schwab installed new extensions on
my Fleetwood that I had with extension brackets to hold the stem extensions in place. 
The brackets  were rivited to the center hub of the wheel liner.  It looked good and worth
every penney.

This set up keeps the extension from whipping around and also provides a sturdy base to
apply the tire guage to both tires.

Some suppliers sell the wire clips that fit in the wheel spacees to hold the extension.
I prefere the Les Schwab application. 

Without knowing more about how that extension MAY have caused a problem, it is hard to make any intelligent comment. Sure, a flex extension that is loose and flops around can cause damage to a tire. So can lots of other things if they go wrong. A properly installed extension should never give any trouble, but too many people simply screw them on and figure its ok.

A RV dealer put the extensions on my mh some years ago.  I knew nothing about them at the time and had them for 40,000 miles on two sets of tires...they clipped on the wheel....looked okay to me at the time.  I will get a much better setup now that I know it could cause a problem.  The mobile tire repair guy said he sees problems with them often...

Thanks for your inputs.

I am a tire dealer in Indiana and sell both Hankook and have sold Sailun. The consistency of the quality will be a lot better with the Hankook. The Sailun, if there is any warranty issues you most likely will not be credited. Sailun just hires a manufacturing plant in China to build there tire where as Hankook produces there own.  I would not be scared to put them on the rear but I am a little funny as to put them on the steer axle. As far as the extensions I sell the solid extension in a 3", and 4" for $10 each, the steel braided ones have a tendency to accumalate a small pin hole where they bend after time. I think the brake heat help further that process. I have thrown many of them away for fellow RV'ers and saved them money with solid extensions.

I have Hankooks on my 03 Adventurer, (19.5's) and they were less than $2k.

I have several friends who are in the trucking industry.  I consulted with them before
buying Hankooks.  Both indicated many new truck dealers are buying the Hankooks for
their new vehicles, and many service providers replace with Hankooks.  My sources I
talked with were pleased with Hankook's all the way around.

Because of this, I have them on mine.  Hope this helps.

Just purchased six LT235/85R16 for a 94 F53 chassis they where recommended by the tire guys at les schwab i have yet to drive them a distance to confirm if they are good or not they have a 40,000 tire life expectancy and seing that most wont drive that in a 5 year period made sense to me versus the higher priced tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom