Residential Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

Those of you that love having a residential refrigerator beware...we have a Maytag in our coach, which I love except, a few days ago it started collecting ice in the bottom of the freezer.  I called and was told to have a Maytag repair man come out and work on it.  Well, today he showed up, said he knew exactly what my problem is and then couldn't fix it.  It seems that there's a hose that runs in the back of the refrigerator that drips ice into a pan in the bottom of the unit.  To get to that part he needs access to the back of the refrigerator, which he could not get to.  There is a small door on the outside of the slide, which only lets you get to the water control switch.  To get to where he needs to get to he would need to access a larger portion of the back of the unit.  He thought he could just pull it out, like we do at home with our refrigerators when we need to get to the back of them, except we have no wheels AND the carpet is cut around the legs.  If he were to drag the unit out, he would tear up the carpet!  So, for the time being, I have to wipe out the bottom of the freezer to keep the water from freezing up.  I did call Winnie and we've decided that when we come out to the GNR we will have them look at it then.  I think they need to rethink the access door to something much larger!

Mikie

Thanks John.  Yes, I definitely think it needs to be redesigned.  We're thinking of cutting a hole in the sheet metal on the back of the refrigerator and making a small door so that we can get to that tube.  The technician was trying to be nice, but suggesting that all I'd have to do is wipe out the bottom of the freezer unit every few days to keep it from collecting...won't work for me!  I'm hoping that when we come to the GNR they'll be able to come up with some idea/fix.  I spoke to Eric and he thought that I'd be able to get it fixed while we're there, sure hope he's right!

Mikie

It sounds like maybe that drain hose is just plugged with ice.... A fairly common problem for top freezer refrigerators. Try just defrosting it for a day or so, then restart it it and see if you still have the problem. Normally there is a little trough in the bottom back of the freezer (usually behind a plastic panel) that diverts water into the drain hose fitting usually in the center. Once the panel is taken out of the way you can pour warm water in to help defrost any ice build up. When I did our home fridge, I didn't want to wait for it to defrost all the way so I used a wire coat hanger to stick down the hose as I poured warm water down it and within a few minutes it went from only going in a few inches to the almost the full height of the fridge.

It sounds like maybe that drain hose is just plugged with ice.... A fairly common problem for top freezer refrigerators

Except our's is a bottom freezer drawer!  But, I think that's the same problem, a clogged drain hose that we can't get to.

Edit by John - fixed quote

defrost it and use a wet vac on the end at the freezer, coat hanger works good but dont push too hard....alot of the time just letting it thaw out is good unless there is s food particle stuck in the tube. Just did this fix for one of my buds.

Back
Top Bottom